The OT Thread!! Post Here When You Feel The Need!

Well here I am getting more concerned about the state of the world. So what do I do? Buy wheat berries and beans. That’s apocalypse food after all. I even bought a grinder.

I got to say, after baking a 4 loafs of bread, it doesn’t taste that bad. But if I let it sit for a day or 2, it gets hard as a rock. It’s no wonder why people in the past wanted fresh baked bread.

Though, now I need to become a chemist in order to make the bread taste good. Rise and proof and throw ingredients in that hopefully taste good. Water or milk? Oil or butter? Eggs? baking soda or yeast? Who knows. I’ll be trying everything under the sun until I can figure out an easy recipe that tastes good.

Though I did happen across a great no-knead pizza dough recipe. Reminds me of pizza hut but I digress.

Europe is looking pretty bad. China’s economy has a theoretical crash incoming. Small countries are in serious debt with energy and food shortages. USA seems like it will be moderately bad. And I can’t figure out what is happening in some other countries but we will all find out how bad things are during the snowing months. Especially since we are eating last year’s crops.

Anyway! I hope nothing serious happens and this blows over and I just get to eat a lot of flour and beans for the next few years.

Any bread recipes out there for the beginner baker?

4 Likes

I do.

Water vs Milk
Water gets you a crusty, airier bread with a large open crumb texture which does tend to go stale and dry quickly. Milk will result in a softer crust and a more even structure with smaller air bubbles which wont dry out as quickly.

Butter or Oil
Only difference is flavour to a rather small extent, but the more fat you add the longer the bread will last, to a point. Fat doesn’t evaporate so the bread wont seem to dry out as quickly and it will slow down the staling process. Recepiewise though keep in mind that oil is 100% fat while butter is usually about 80% fat and 20% water, so while substituting one for the other alter things accordingly.

Eggs
No. Unless you’re making cake.

Baking soda, powder or yeast
Baking soda is only the base, which is only used in recipes including other acidic components like butter milk or lemon juice. Baking powder has both base and acid and usually does not start reacting until heat is added, where as soda will start the process the moment it’s mixed with an acid.

Both chemical leavening and yeast can be used for bread but results in markedly different flavours and textures. Yeast breaks down sugars to produce carbon dioxide as I’m sure you know, but also other rest products which provides deeper and more complex flavours to your bread. This is why letting your dough rise slower for longer in a cooler environment can be a good choice, if you’re not in a hurry.

Finally, freeze your bread. If you’re going to bake more bread than you eat in a day or three put your bread in the freezer and it’ll last nigh indefinitely. Make smaller loaves, there’s no reason you can’t take a 2 loaf recipe and just make 4 loaves if that is the amount of bread you’re more likely to get through in a reasonable time. But you may want to keep a closer eye on the baking time in this case, the smaller the pieces of bread you’re baking the higher you can bring the oven temperature and the lower the baking time. It may take a little experimentation.

Easy rye rounds
Ingredients
50g butter
5dl Milk
50g (fresh) Yeast or ~14g of dry yeast, half if you want a longer rise in fridge.
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbsp Syrup, molasses, honey or sugar
1 tsp Anise seed
2 tsp Fennel seed
450g Fine Rye flour
300g Wheat flour, All purpose works fine, but bread flour is good too.

Melt the butter and warm the milk up in a pot until about 37ish C, better to be slightly lower than too hot. Either crush the spices in a mortar or mill them. Stir in your dry yeast or if you’re using fresh “bakers” yeast then break it apart in a big bowl and add a small part of the liquid to dissolve it in, then add the rest of the liquid along with salt, sugar of choice and the spices.

Add all the rye flour and most of the wheat and combine to a kneadable dough, knead for 10ish minutes if doing by hand 5 in a machine until it doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl anymore. Let rest for 30 minutes in a covered bowl or until about doubled in size.

Note that this is a rye dough so you’re not going to get as supple and smooth a result as with a pure strong wheat dough, that you’re most likely seeing in most online fancy videos so don’t try to reach that result. I’ll be a little stickier and you wont be getting any “gluten windows” so don’t worry about it. It will still rise well, if not as high.

Flour a work surface and get your dough out on it, lightly kneed to redistribute yeast colonies and air bubbles. Split the dough into 4 pieces and form them into round balls and then flatten them out into round flat pieces about 17cm in diameter, put it on a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the sheet if you have none. Should fit 2 per sheet. Poke a finger through the center and make a hole about 4cm wide, use a fork or anything else with small tines to poke a series of holes evenly distributed over the surface. Cover with a towel and set aside to rise another 30 minutes.

Turn your oven on at 225 C in time so that it is pre-heated by the time the 2nd rise is done. Bake the bread, in the center of the oven for about 12 minutes. Let the bread cool down on a rack under a towel.

This bread will keep a fair bit of time, I’d say it’ll be perfectly fine for a week at least. Not that it’s likely to remain uneaten for a week. But due to it’s flat nature it’s also great for freezing as it thaws quickly. Do let me know how it turns out if you have a go at it.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks best friend. I’ll go to the store to buy anise seeds and fine rye flour today. I’ll try to make the recipe this weekend.

I’ll send a pic of the results!

4 Likes

Book found. Safe in ziploc bag, in the last place it should ever be. This is the result of too many :chipmunk: caches ><

@Enki bet a sloth would never forget where the treasure be.

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Please Support @Animosity in His Time of Need

I don’t know what game that is, but you can tell by the glowing border that less than 10% of players got that achievement.

3 Likes

It’s Shatterline, which looks like a pretty good game actually, but the joke is I can’t actually play it cuz all i get is server connection errors when actually trying to get into a game. Hopefully they’ll get their shit sorted out soon.

I was only memeing about the fact that I got 100% of the achievements while there’s only 1 achievement, and it’s obtained by playing through a 5 min story intro the game :joy:

4 Likes

I originally wanted to roll strings of dough and spell out “Fraggles” but decided it wouldn’t fit. Since they were already dough strings, I just braided the bread.

My yeast exploded out of my little cup but that was fine. But I think I killed the yeast when I poured cold milk because it wouldn’t rise. Oops. Tastes good though.

PS. Anise seeds tastes like a pharmacy smell.

7 Likes

I love anise because I love licorice.

3 Likes

Cold wont kill the yeast, just slow it down, dough does rise in the fridge after all. What ever caused the explosion sounds like a more likely culprit. Also judging by the ragged edges in your cut you didn’t let the bread cool down properly before cutting it. I get it freshly baked bread is hard to resist, but giving it time to settle and for internal steam to be reabsorbed helps with preventing it from drying out.

4 Likes

Well, as some of you know by now today is my birthday and I’ll take a day off of making posters in SFM and chill out for today.

Have a good week, folks! :birthday:

4 Likes

Hmmmm. I have active dry yeast so I proofed it in warm water with sugar. But I still put 14grams of it as you instructed. The little volcano was too fresh I guess.

I actually don’t recall how long I waited before cutting into it. Do I wait an hour?

Also, I bought some linen bread bags to help it not dry out. I feel so fancy.

@carvalho20ptc Happy Birthday to you! :moon_cake: :birthday:

4 Likes

@carvalho20ptc I hope you are cill on your cake day ^^ Relax like a Snorlax, do nothing like a Slacking. (Pokemon)

4 Likes

2 Likes

and I was continuing the memeing by mentioning that less than 10% of players got the achievement, implying the 5 min story intro is somehow incredibly difficult to complete. :joy:

Because Steam achievements only glow like that if less than 10% of players get them:
glow

Or, at least that’s what I thought, but I just checked the global achievements for Shatterline and saw that almost 2/3rds of players got the achievement, so now I don’t know why it’s glowing like that. (maybe because it’s the only one, and thus technically still has the lowest-achievement rate?)

4 Likes

nah there’s lots of bugs where it shows u a low percentage on the achievement in your profile, but then when u go to the global rates you see a much higher number, just another steam feature

4 Likes

I’m really about to say 'fuck it , i dont need to eat ’ and buy Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone on steam. Both at 19.99€ currently. So freaking tempting…

5 Likes

Horizon zero dawn is one of the games on my list to justify buying a new GPU for. Unfortunately that takes the price of it up from 20€ to something like 3000€ as at this point I need to upgrade my whole system.

3 Likes

Depending on what kind of system you are after it is more like ~1500€ to build a very capable 1440p gaming system these days . At least around here. But i mean prices for components are pretty much same everywhere.

3 Likes