Alan Wake is Back on Steam and It's on Sale!

After previously being removed for licensing issues the game is back on Steam and is currently on sale! This is honestly one of my favorite games of all time, so I highly recommend it!

13 Likes

Quick, lemme delete it from my Steam library so I can buy it again!

9 Likes

thanks for sharing, not my style of game but still a great game if you like the style

8 Likes

Alan Wake is also one of my favorite games! I didn’t know it was removed from steam for licensing issues though. I own this one already but it is a very nice value for $3. The story is amazing and the gameplay is fun.

4 Likes

I believe it was because of David Bowie’s Space Oddity. He had just passed when the game was removed, so I imagine what happened was his songs became too expensive for Remedy to continue to use. I find it a bit odd though since as far as I can remember the song was only used in the game’s end credits, and it doesn’t really have much to do with the game, so I don’t really see why they couldn’t have just replaced it with something else.

4 Likes

They said that the game could have stayed had the unlicensed music been pulled. They didn’t want to compromise the game in any way.

If you look back a bit, Rockstar got a lot of crap for a patch that pulled copyrighted radio music.

5 Likes

And rightfully so, since IIRC they didn’t just start selling the game without those songs but patched them out of everybody’s copies.

5 Likes

Remedy would need to do the same thing had they taken that route. That’s why the game was impossible to buy for months.

I just hope they fix all the performance problems that happen on current drivers.

3 Likes

can someone briefly explain what makes this game so good? I’ve never played it, though i own it, and I might play it if it’s rly good, but it’s pretty old and rly doesn’t look that special at first glance. Not sure but I think i even launched it just to see once, but i obviously didn’t play it

3 Likes

Alan ReAwakening :+1:

4 Likes

I think its just a cult classic, you either really like it or hate it.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed the story. Its almost like a good book told through television episodes, that you play through as a video game. The atmosphere of the game fits right in with the story dark and rich. The gameplay is fun and rewarding. Enemies you have to burn the darkness out of them with light in order for a weapon to be effective. Now it is an older game but I like to go back and play old games. I also have Alan Wake American nightmare which has the same gameplay mechanics but hardly any story. American nightmare just didn’t do much for me. So unless you play games to get immersed in a story Alan Wake may not be for you because gameplay alone does not carry the title.

5 Likes

hm, the fact that u either rly like it or hate it has nothing to do with the fact that it’s a cult classic or not imo; and it also doesn’t prevent explaining what makes it so good in anyone’s opinion

5 Likes

hm, k, i value story over gameplay in single player games in general, though ofc i do play some games purely cuz the gameplay is so good

3 Likes

In that case I suggest you give it a try especially since you already own it. Play through the first episode and see if you get into it. I believe it is 10-12 hour game split into 6 episodes so worst case scenario is you waste 2 hours

2 Likes

hm, k, will install it so i can give it a shot maybe once i get through Fallout 4, rofl

2 Likes

How is fallout 4? I haven’t purchased that one yet. Right now I am playing fallout new California (a mod for new Vegas I have been waiting for for years now). So far new California has been pretty amazing.

1 Like

I’d say it’s insanely good; I don’t understand all the negative reviews and criticism. I agree the dialogue options aren’t as good as FO3 and NV especially, but rly it isn’t all that bad. Ppl are saying this isn’t an rpg anymore cuz of that and I disagree; I agree the spectrum for rp is narrower, and it’s more black&white, but i personally feel this is a great game with an insane amount of content; the amount of content is quite overwhelming imo; and the graphics and gameplay mechanics have been greatly improved, and i find the gameplay way more enjoyable because of it; i rely much more on my own aim than on VATS in this game, which is a positive in my book; the fps-mechanic is actually enjoyable here, which i cant say for FO3 and NV

and i also find the missions and story arcs enjoyable and quite surprising at times too

2 Likes

Wow!!! Thanks I have been waiting to get goty on the cheap since all of the negative reviews from the die hard fallout fans but hearing positive things about it makes me want to grab it sooner now.

2 Likes

y i grabbed the goty for 30$ in the sale they just had and the only thing i regret is not having done that sooner, lol

and to give some perspective on how good i think this game is; i’m getting older and have already mentioned several times that i used to play huge amounts of hours when i was younger and cant do that anymore cuz i usually just play for 30-60 min once or twice a day and then feel that was enough and even felt i couldnt play for longer periods cuz i just don’t enjoy it once 30-60 min pass, and ppl know (and dislike, for obvious reasons, lol) that i usually don’t finish most games i start. Well, i’ve put 38 h in this game just in the 4 days since i bought this game, lol, and the only thing i can think of is how i want to play more and which quest i want to do next, what gun needs what improved mod next, and which settlement needs what next, lol. [Though now i also feel i need to spend time watching Lirik play DRR2, and i also need to paint a room in the house, lol, so i might not get any gameplay done myself the next few days.] Had i put 38 h in every game i played i would have finished 90% of them rofl

2 Likes