The World Through Your Eyes

I’m not being defensive, just realistic. I don’t have any skin in the game, I have never owned a console other than the original NES.

The emulation options has only been reasonably feasibly recently and I say reasonably because there’s more going into emulation than you seem to understand. PCs can do most old consoles because we have the processing power to run both the emulation, the game in question as well as having the hardware infrastructure being designed with multipurpose utility in mind. Consoles are not, they are of streamlined design for the express purpose of playing games. Tasking a console to also emulate a different hardware setup is not as simple as just installing ePSXe on it.

For sure it can be done, but I doubt it could be done well for previous gens, there’s simply not enough power in a PS4 to emulate the PS3 hardware AND run PS3 games. So you get NES titles on the switch and PS1-2 titles on the PS4 and that’s yer lot.

Why can’t they just dump their entire old libraries onto their digital stores and call it a day? Everyone would be happy to buy their old games to play them on new hardware. Well a lot of boring legal as well as practical reasons, for many games it’s simply the case that old code just doesn’t exist anymore, old assets needs updating, formats converted and licenses renewed.

Obviously there’s also a profitability calculation in the works, you’re making a new console you want to make new exciting games for it so people want to buy it. Well now you’ve spent millions of dollars on tech showcase games you want people to actually buy and play those games so that they talk about how amazing the new latest graphics you can only get on your new hardware is. There’s simply very little benefit to putting the time, effort and money into getting people to replay their old games, particularly as people wont be that keen on paying full price for them.

Companies do what they do to make money, not to make people happy. It is only an accident when those two goals randomly meet.

When people ask why the world is not as ideal a place as they imagine it could be and have no understanding of the underlying reasons they tend to imagine evil machinations afoot just for the sake of making people miserable. This is rarely actually the case and so when I DO have insight on a topic I endeavor to share it, hoping I might be able to dispel this dark outlook on the world where evil seems to exist just for the sake of evil.

4 Likes

Ooh. My Asha (who claims she not belong to me, but she does, coz mew, all you guys are belong to me).

Right. So Asha has her Switch now and started on Arceus. It looks like more fun than GO. Careful of the mon @YQMaoski, they can hurts ya.

PS: Squirrel approve of all the Zelda games. Also, I’m moving in with you, the wife, the birds and the games. Hee hee.

7 Likes

This was the final haul by the end of the day yesterday, a bit bigger. Two games no previously pictured:

I am actually really looking forward to Pokemon Snap…

8 Likes

Say hello to “Fenri” ,my new buddy :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Beautiful pup and nice name!

6 Likes

Oh, a pupper, so cute. :hugs:

@YQMaoski, you have a keeper for a wife. :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

@DontBeSilly Aw… just short of Fenrir. Cute lil one. I would pet him, if you let me.

5 Likes

@YQMaoski Thanks , Meowski!

@delenn13 Yeah, he is a real heart stealer.

@Danacscott Oh i think he would love your pets . And yes , Fenri is just simplified version of Fenrir. But in my tongue Fenrir is a bit of a mouthful , since you need to add ‘as’ at the end so it i would “Fenriras” which doesnt roll off the tongue so well around these parts :smiley: So he became ‘Fenri’ or ‘Fenris’ ( S get added at the end in this case ) which a bit easier to pronounce. Still i got told that it is a bit tricky to pronounce .

5 Likes

So I saw this last night as I was driving. Completely stupid.

5 Likes

We had a bird strike yesterday. it was a Junco. I really try to not clean our picture window too much because of the bird feeders being right there but they still sometimes hit it. Especially if the hawks around.

We went to check on it and it was still alive just dazed…Plus we are getting snow and it’s very cold out there. We had watched a wildlife rehab show that said to just gently pick it up and put it in a small paper bad and bring it in and put it in a warm quiet place. We did that and 3 hours later it started moving around and 4 hours later you could tell it really wanted out. It was just pecking at the bag. Picked the bag up and took it outside; opened the bag and it just flew out. Yea, US :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

That’s pretty bad, worst that happened to me was a car that was stopped to my right. I was in the left-turn lane trying to take a left. We were all stopped at a red. On green + arrow for me, I start moving and this car to my right accelerated into the space immediately in front of me and took the left turn instead of going straight. It was crazy and totally stupid.

5 Likes

Yeah the first one that passed me I figured was probably going 80-90MPH, I’m fairly confident the white car had 3 digits for his speed.

5 Likes

First come, first served! Please let me know if you took it!

Key in Plain Text

QYIQM-WRZ04-RLP8L

10 Likes

I took this meowski. thx vry much. I remember buying this game when it first came out and then refunding it, lol, but i think i’m gonna give it another try some time. installing as we speak

7 Likes

You are welcome, and have fun!

6 Likes

So this past week I took a trip out to the US Northeast.

Started out like so with an automatic upgrade:

I can’t show any pictures of why I was out there in the first place, partly because I really didn’t take any. But after I was done with business I got to go to New York City.

First stop, World Trade Center

Second Stop, Rockefeller Park to look across the bay

Unfortunately, we didn’t have tickets to see the Statue of Liberty and they close really early. We chose not to waste time in line and still likely miss out.

After that, rode the subway to lunch (no picture).

Third Stop (after lunch), Times Square

Fourth Stop, Nintendo NY (where I got a “souvenir”)

Then we walked to 33rd and took the Path train back out

All in all, about a 4-5 hour excursion in NYC. Pictures do not do justice to how tall the buildings are.

11 Likes

Looks like a Py had a good time. Somehow, another Pokemon managed to run you down and make you take it home. Ah well, at least it cute. XD.

You right about the buildings in New York. I went ages ago, but man, it’s crazy and so many. I got claustrophobic just standing in the street.

7 Likes

To @Pylinaer a wave from another country. Only a state and a river between us…So close…but…

4 Likes

Bee butt

8 Likes

So got myself 3070 finally.

Though now the hard part begins…need to sell my current gpu for a reasonable price otherwise i’m not eating for two months.

10 Likes