The World Through Your Eyes

Funny story. I had never seen a red squirrel and when I saw them. I was like…OH HOW CUTE and LITTLE…Damn thing started throwing acorns at me when I got close to it and it was just a screeching like I was killing it.

5 Likes

xD
She protec but she also attac:D

3 Likes

My brother who lives in Montana (USA) just sent an email to family today titled “Montanan wins prestigious wildlife photography award” and he goes on to explain:

The longest-running nature photography awards come from a competition run by the Natural History Museum of London. Zack Clothier Of Seeley Lake — some of you have driven through Seeley Lake on the way to Glacier Park — was the winner out of 50,000 submissions from 95 countries for the popular category “Animals in their environment.”

This shot, titled “Grizzly Remains” captures a grizzly fresh out of hibernation in April of 2020 finding an elk carcass that Zack had found months earlier when cross-country skiing. I know it may not have the same appeal for everybody, but I love it and made it part of my rotating wallpaper.

This is the second time Clothier has gotten recognition in this competition, but the first time he has won. He had a photo titled “Ends of the Earth” that got a “Highly Commended” recognition the year before.

EDIT: Out curiosity, I just looked up his “Ends of the Earth” photo:

6 Likes

The bear has “o shit, they’ll think it was me” look on his face.

5 Likes

Actually, I imagined the bear thinking: “this carcass hardly has any meat left … but wait, that guy taking my picture looks tasty”.

The first year I visited my brother in Montana, we drove up to Glacier National Park (gorgeous mountains), and slept overnight in a tent in a campground. I remember being very nervous that night, knowing that grizzly bears were part of the wildlife in the region! :eyes:

4 Likes

I do actually love winter but less so then i need to free my car from snowy coffin every morning and then commute to work x4 times longer because everyone is driving in turtle mode…

6 Likes

Turtle mode? Not…er… sloth mode? XD Snow is pretty until it piles up.

6 Likes

It be cold here too…

4 Likes

I just realized that a huge number of images from this thread went missing… :cry:

3 Likes

That’s too bad, i assume the missing photos are hosted on the forum servers.
Let’s hope it gets fixed.

4 Likes

@dusty said he would look at it when he got back home.

6 Likes

Yay! They are coming back! :slight_smile: Thank you @dusty !

7 Likes

My wife convinced me that it was finally time… I had only been mentally wishing to play some of these games for so long. Plus the new Pokemon game just made it impossible to resist any longer…

10 Likes

I see no Wind Waker

Have fun tho :grin:

6 Likes

Wind Waker isn’t on the Nintendo Switch.

5 Likes

You should be asking for refunds then, Nintendo pulling tricks again. They made the remaster not long ago and it’s already unavailable on their most recent console?!

3 Likes

Windwaker was for the gamecube and the HD remaster was released for the WiiU in 2013. That is not very recent and I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that it is required to be available for the switch at this point.

Backwards compatibility has never been an advertised feature of any nintendo console as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

As a consumer you should always want the best out of the product, it’s one of the reasons I abandoned consoles, they get away with that because consumers allowed. Imagine if all current PC games became unavailable with the next Windows version.

In perspective, 2013 is not that long ago when Switch got released in 2017. For me it doesn’t feel that big of a gap, it would be something I would expect to be available at the launch of the successor product in this digital era. This is why new console releases always feel empty to me.

What yet baffles me is their constant fight against fans that want to emulate the older games when they abandon it so fast and doesn’t seem to care to support the games on the newer consoles.

3 Likes

Those are two very different situations and product categories, also it is something that definitely happens. Plenty of old games have troubles or plain wont run at all on modern systems and OSes, some work with a lot of work arounds and tinkering.

The idea that a console manufacturer needs to keep every new generation fully backwards compatible with their entire history of games is a ridiculous one. That would require that a lot of hardware design either never changed or new hardware was built with old hardware tacked on. That is the primary reason games do work as well as they do on PC, the basic underlying hardware architecture has been the same since the 70s.

While newer consoles to a larger extent are at this point basically x86 platforms as well that is not true for the gamecube, WiiU nor the switch as far as I’m aware. While one could argue about the point of it Nintendo keeps reinventing the wheel. This has been the case for console manufacturing for some time, the only reason the PS3 had PS2 backwards compatibility is because the console simply had a PS2 processor in it. Continuing to stack old processors and hardware into newer consoles would not only drive up the prices but would make engineering the things more and more of a nightmare as more and more generations needs to be folded into the design. Not to mention they’d need to keep actually producing old chips in perpetuity. No one’s going to do that.

Going forward however there’s little reason for why the now x86 based consoles couldn’t offer backwards compatibility through emulation. Except of course that doing so would be a service provided rather than something they are or should be required to do.

I mean it’s not like when you buy an Xbone microsoft turns up at your place and overwrites your old 360 so you now can’t play any of your old games. There is simply no reasonable expectation that a new device should be able to utilize software made for an old device, particularly not when you’re a new adopter. In what way are you imagining that Maoski is entitled to play Windwaker because he bought a Switch?

If you own an old copy of Windwaker for the gamecube you are entitled to play it on the gamecube, and as long as you keep your gamecube you’re still able to.

Addendum: As far as timing goes though, just quoting out of wikipedia for console generations 72 - 76 - 83 - 87 - 93 - 98 - 05 - 12 - 20 Now Nintendo did fall in between for a few of the recent ones so 13 - 17 for them. But as you can see the average time between generations have not been very long and the most recent ones were the longest lasting generations. 4 years is on the short side, but historically not strange. Though I certainly agree that modern console generations have been anemic and particularly the latest PS/Xbox launches have barely even happened properly.

3 Likes

It all sounds like just a bunch of excuses to be honest, the technology is already quite advanced than what it was back then, it feels more like they don’t want to bother that much. If there was investment in this category, it would already be done.

I really don’t know why you’re going so defensive for this. You got digital stores, I’m not talking about having physical copies backwards compatible, you can have the games digitally available in the store and be ready to play on the next gen. The hardware only gets better, the technology has gotten better. It doesn’t need a miracle to make this work, just solid development and you can have it going for generations of consoles. What costs them? Time and money, I just think they won’t do because most of their consumers will go ape-shit buying everything anew and ditch the old.

The PC emulation is already at a point where you only need one program to emulate most of the older consoles. Any of them manufacturers cared to invest in this for console? I highly doubt so.

Also you’re going quite devious, all I imagined was that Wind Waker HD was also available on Switch at this point in time, but then again, I don’t follow console releases at close. All I want is for them to do better by their consumers. And that’s about it, have a good day.

2 Likes