The OT Thread!! Post Here When You Feel The Need!

On the subject of recommendations, this one’s not from the past 20 years, but close (1998):

It’s no blockbuster, but it’s very earnest and fun, the sort of thing where you can feel that the people making it were having fun. I love this thing, and Sam Neill is by far my favourite Merlin.

3 Likes

I remember Sam Neill as Merlin! I think I have a VHS tape of it back when we recorded from the tv.

I want to stream it and watch it again…got to find it.

3 Likes

Well i jusrt went to see new Dune movie and i must say it’s pretty solid.

I havent read the books so i cant objectively compared them but movie at least i enjoyed. It has this low key yet epic sense akin to BladeRunner and BladeRunner 2049. There’s absolutely nothing flashy about them but with music and lots of wide shots these movies establish this ‘grandness’. I like that so it was a pleasant watch. Bit long, ends on ‘to be continued’ tick but enjoyable indeed.

5 Likes

@DontBeSilly - thanks, I had not realized there is a new Dune movie. If you mean this one:

… then it says the release date is 22 Oct 2021 in the USA. How did you see it already, what country?

It “should” be a long movie, and I’m glad it is to be continued, because the book is epic-long and should require many hours of movies to cover the saga.

EDIT: I looked at your Steam profile, and see you’re in Lithuania. The dates that movies premier are varied around the world, but I’m glad to see this Dune already has great reviews so far from countries where it has started. I’ll cross my fingers and hope they did as good a job as was done with LOTR.

I’ll want to own it on disk, so I’ll wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to be available (I’m patient).

3 Likes

Yup,Lithuania.

I find it almost strange that we got the premier here earlier than in USA as it usually happens other way around lol.

3 Likes

The original movie (1984) was rushed and budget cut, you can see about 3/4 into the movie that they started to try and fit everything into one movie what could’ve possibly been a sequel segment, the result is kind of a mess honestly. So, if these reports are true, I’m glad there’s a continuation and I hope they do it right this time.

3 Likes

I am now following Jenny Lawson’s advice…

Is your computer all borked up and shit? Follow these simple steps:

1. Hold down the command button and also every third button on your keyboard for exactly 27.4 seconds.
  2. Enter the password for something you didn’t even know you ever had a password for.
  3. Forgot your password? Click to send a recovery link to the email you no longer have access to and/or also don’t know the password to.
  4. Restart the computer while holding your 8th grade report card in your left hand.
  5. Reload applications
  6. Consider googling “What are applications and how to reload them” but realize you can’t because your computer is broken.
  7. Realize your warranty expired 18 seconds ago.
  8. Eat a sandwich angrily.
  9. Regret not learning what a “cloud” is and how to put things in it.
  10. Continue following long step-by-step recovery process. On step 10 realize this list was written in 2004 and is now outdated.
  11. Start over again with a new step-by-step written last week. Realize halfway through it’s outdated as well.
  12. Download updated browser.
  13. Follow error signs saying you can’t download browser without updated flash.
  14. Update flash.
  15. Follow error signs saying you can’t download flash without updated browser.
  16. Consider becoming Amish.
  17. Remember how much you like cat videos.
  18. Call tech support. Get advice that doesn’t work.
  19. Call tech support. Get opposing advice from second guy who says the other guy didn’t know what he was talking about but which also doesn’t work.
  20. Repeat step 19. Several times.
  21. Call tech support. Lady says that the computer problem you’re describing isn’t even possible.
  22. Doubt everything, including own existence.
  23. Call tech support. New guy listens to your extremely long rant about everything you’ve tried. Asks, “Have you tried turning it off and on again?” Lay your head on the keyboard and cry softly.
  24. Try turning it on and off again even though you’ve already done that multiple times just to show the tech guy you’re not a fucking idiot.
  25. Stare at the wall and grind your teeth into dust when that totally works.
  26. When they guy asks, “That fixed it, right?” lie to him and tell him you have to go because you have to set your office on fire.
  27. Start back at step one 25 minutes later when everything crashes again.
5 Likes

I’ve also seen a video that this movie is doing great on Europe, even better than Shang-Chi.

I also haven’t read the novel properly (only the inital pages) however I can’t wait for this to come to South America, which’ll arrive only on October 21st. Ugh, we’re still so far away from it. :grimacing:

We gotta be careful with the spoilers, which’ll surely pop up everywhere.

5 Likes

Anyone know if it will be available in any sort of streaming service? Since I’m still avoiding cinemas.

4 Likes

It’s gonna be one of the many WB movies which’ll be available on HBO Max.

4 Likes

Somehow it seems that Youtube is always able to load ads with no issues but then it comes to loading a video itself no matter your connection it always struggles… fucking Youtube.

3 Likes

I like this step.

2 Likes

I did that a lot. :rofl:

2 Likes

Way too cool. :rainbow: :parasol_on_ground: :zap:

Congratulations - you’ve been picked as one of our competition winners!

Thanks for taking part in our Kasedo Publisher Sale competition. We’ll be sending out the game keys to you this week. This will including one key for each of the following games:

• Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus
  • Rise of Industry
  • City of Gangsters
  • Project Highrise
  • Filament
  • Crowntakers

Thanks again for taking part!

6 Likes

Cool. Nice games, especially Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, and Project Highrise. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The way of the universe…

Londo : The Universe hates me, you know. I don’t know why. I have never done anything to the Universe to uh … Well all right a few things, but after a while, you would think it would be enough. Yes, we have had our little fun with Londo Mollari for now. Perhaps, it is time to move on and find someone else to play with.

Not sure how I feel about this…

2 Likes

I think you should feel hopeful. Even if it’s no good, you’re no worse off. But, if it’s good, or great, it may bring a fresh perspective, or good memories, or new plots. :sparkles: :dizzy: :sparkles:

3 Likes

Yes, that is what is going to happen. Because as JMS said…

“To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim,” Straczynski said. “How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?”

The writer said, listing all of the original cast members who have unfortunately passed on since the original series concluded 23 years ago.

" Mira Furlan, who played the wise and empathetic Mimbari ambassador Delenn on Babylon 5 , passed away earlier this year. The actor who portrayed Vir Cotto, Stephen Furst, died in 2017 from complications related to diabetes. Jerry Doyle, who played the station’s no-nonsense security chief Michael Garibaldi, passed away in 2016. In 2011, Jeff Conaway, who also starred in Grease and Taxi , died at age 60. Richard Biggs, who portrayed the station’s medical chief Dr. Stephen Franklin, passed away in 2004 at age 44 due to an aortic dissection. Andreas Katsulas, who also had roles in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Hot Shots! Part Deux. but was best known for playing the insidious but ultimately sympathetic Narn ambassador G’Kar, passed away in 2006 from lung cancer. Michael O’Hare, who portrayed the original commander of the station Jeffrey Sinclair in season 1 of the series, died in 2012 at age 60."

They left out one of my favs…Zathras…He was in a motorcycle accident in 2004.

Some of his best Zathras-isms…

“Cannot say. Saying, I would know. Do not know, so cannot say.” – “War Without End Part One”
“Zathras trained in Crisis Management.” – “Conflicts of Interest”
“Very damaged; Zathras can never have anything nice.” – “War Without End Part One”
“You are the beginning of the story…and the middle of the story…and the end of the story - that creates
the next great story. In your heart you know what Zathras says is true!” - War Without End: Part II
“Can not run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This…is wrong tool…
No… No, not good. No… Never use that.”
Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other peoples needs…very sad life…probably have very
sad death…but, at least there is symmetry!
So Zathras talks to dirt. Sometimes talks to walls or talks to ceilings, but dirt is closer. Dirt used to
everyone walking on it. Just like Zathras, but we have come to like it. It is our role. It is our destiny
in the Universe. So you see, sometimes dirt has insects in it. Zathras like insects. Not so good for
conversation, but much protein for diet.
“There are … ten of us, all of family Zathras. Each one named Zathras. Slight differences in how you
pronounce Zathras … Zathras … Zathras.”
‘You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras.’

2 Likes

I got some frustrating and scary news about my health today. And it all could have been avoided if my doctor had just listened to me… I need distractions, so time for folk music and video games.

7 Likes

Wow, really ? I hope things get better for well.

Take good care of yourself, and stay safe. :heart:

5 Likes