The OT Thread!! Post Here When You Feel The Need!

Well yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yikes, itā€™s hard to believe someone named Anthony actually used that pun to get a book title published, cool! :drum:

2 Likes

Donā€™t count your chickens before they hatch. Hopefully it turns out well.

3 Likes

Has there been any good fantasy movies that you could recommend made in the last 20 years or something apart from the LOTR ones?

2 Likes

@Fraggles - There are different kindā€™s of movies with the ā€œFantasyā€ genre, so these may or may not be what youā€™d look for.

This first one is one of my favorite movies:

Here are 7 more possibilities:

1 Like
2 Likes

3 Likes

No,and that is really sad.

Every single time i want to watch something akin LOTR i need to watch LOTR.

There are several older movies which scratch the same itch to me , but nothing from recent memoryā€¦

3 Likes

I was watching old videos again and didnā€™t notice this the first timeā€¦

That is a creepy and unexpected cat ending. I had to go to the video comments to make sure I wasnā€™t the only one to see it.

2 Likes

LOTR marathon it is then

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a tall order. Most of the recent movies are zombies and sci-fi. LOTR is high fantasy meaning swords & magic and fantasy races/creatures I think. 20+ years I can think of the Conan, Willow, Neverending Story, Discworld and maybe a few others if I think long enough.

Maybe Narnia and Harry Potter? I thought Earthsea was ok but a lot of people didnā€™t like it. Oh yea! Warcraft came outā€¦but was forgettable.

There are youtube channels that cut video games to be movie-like. Iā€™ll see if I can find oneā€¦I looked for quite a bit of time and realized most of the fantasy stories are anime.

TL;DL. Watch Cloud Atlas for something different. :rofl:

2 Likes

Willow was 1988 and Conan was in 1982 man, thatā€™s a good bit more than 20 years ago. I did rather enjoy Earthsea actually, I thought it a shame they didnā€™t let it continue.

The thought that inspired the question was that as hung up on chasing trends and copying anything that proves successful as hollywood is, LOTR seems like an anomaly that did not spawn a wave of high fantasy movies in itā€™s wake. The first of the three came out in 2001, 20 years ago, so unless I had missed something thereā€™s been a very few other fantasy movies made since.

3 Likes

I have tried to get into Chronicles of Narnia but , no offense to anyone who likes it , itā€™s way too simple and childish. At least the movies are, books might be better .

3 Likes
3 Likes

The big-budget high fantasy films of the past 20 years have been sci-fi flavoured. Chronicles of Riddick, Jupiter Ascending, Star Warsā€¦ Canā€™t think of any high fantasy thatā€™s not also sci-fantasy at all >: Game of Thrones, The Witcher, etc are fantasy, but not high/heroic fantasy, very different from LOTR. I havenā€™t seen Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, but since the original film wasnā€™t, Iā€™d guess the series isnā€™t either.

3 Likes

Regarding LOTR, you have to realize that turning truly great Fantasy/Sci-Fi books into great movies is a hard and rare thing to do. LOTR movies was one of those very rare examples of amazing success. One of the all-time greats of Sci-Fi books was Dune, and they have tried to make a movie worthy of itā€™s greatness for many years, with many failed attempts ā€¦ Iā€™m still waiting/hoping for a truly great Dune movie. :eyes:

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to see more adaptations myself, I want to see more original work ;o; I want to see more fantasy stories that were designed around the film medium from the beginning.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll take a good adaptation over the churning out of disney remakes though. Asking for a new original work made by people who actually care for the artistry of film-making seems like a massive reach.

4 Likes

I have Kingdom of Heaven on my watchlist for a while because Eva Green, itā€™s not high fantasy but itā€™s something to consider, but I canā€™t fully recommend since I havenā€™t watched. Went to check the trailer again and people were commenting about a directorā€™s cut version being the best option.

Otherwise, thereā€™s always Shrek

4 Likes

Itā€™s one of my favorites and itā€™s pretty decent.

6 Likes