The OT Thread!! Post Here When You Feel The Need!

Recently I got the Gothic Universe pack for free on a giveaway. It includes Gothic 1 ~ 3 which I’ve heard a lot about in the past and are considered to be classics.

Can someone tell me how good those games are ? And should I play them in order or not ?

2 Likes

I am playing through the trilogy at the moment. Played the original Gothic 2 in 2004, and the Myrtana mod made me install the games and play them anew.

First thing to note is that these games are german eurojank that expects you to save regularly. They are somewhat openworld, but with handcrafted maps that are small enough to be able to walk around.

I would recommend starting with the first one, as the world is smaller and the game is much easier. The gold version of Gothic 2 also includes the “Night of the raven” expansion, witch increases the difficulty. Making it harder for a newcomer.

There are also mods available. The graphic mods are good to make it look a bit nicer. But some of the rebalancing mods make them harder and are intended for people that have played the game since release.

Never played the third game, despite owning the original boxed release. It was a really botched release, but supposedly alright today.

TL:DR: Go ahead, play them. The steam version even have the systempack pre-installed and workshop support.

4 Likes

Might be time to start considering ditching chromium based browsers, I know many of you are not using direct google chrome but some sort of derivative with an alternative brand slapped across the face of it. Well that’s not going to help you much now that google decides to eliminate all Manifest V2 API support and run only with Manifest V3.

So what does that mean? I don’t know really, but one of the youtube channels I loosely follow seems to. Long (9 minutes) story short, it will remove the capabilities that Adblockers and userscripts rely on to do their thing.

The video will explain more in-depth what you can do, but I’d recommend Firefox. I ditched chrome a decent number of years back now and have been using firefox ever since and I haven’t had any issues in doing so. It’ll take a little getting used to of course, setting things up to your liking, finding alternatives to whatever plugins you used to have and such.

But you’d have to do that anyway, once they stop working on chromium because google decides what capabilities your browser will have and they’re coming for your adblockers now.

If I can help making the transition smoother in any way I’d offer what little insight and knowledge I possess.

5 Likes

Yikes. I don’t need a space heater in my apartment in the summer, thanks.

Add to that I think these cpus have some Microsoft “security” jank baked into them and these are a hard pass.

3 Likes

I’m yet to watch GN coverage of 7000 series but other major tech outlets seems to be pretty impressed with them. Yes TDP is up to 95W on entry chips now , but gains seems to be insane , also under normal loads chip hardly draws more than 70W , which is very reasonable.

I for one will probably upgrade to 7600x once initial craze and prices for DDR5 will drop a bit.

Unless Intel will release something even better in that time. I dont really have any ‘love’ for either of them so it is just best value to me.

2 Likes

GN was showing 116 W power draw. That’s 73% more than the 5600X (67W) for ~16% CPU bound gaming performance and ~30% productivity performance IIRC. Considering I have a 5600X and it’s a complete system rebuild, it’s not worth it for me.

I’ve heard some stuff about Eco mode. If that’s a thing and unpegs the 90C temperature while maintaining good performance, then that might be more interesting.

As of right now it just seems like tech companies care very little about the power draw.

2 Likes

I’m still on my 5 3600 so for me difference seems to be quite considerable ( up to 67% increase in performance ) . If 7600 will be really available for 300$ i feel like this is a reasonable upgrade choice. Ofc whole added price of entirely new platform. A lot will come down to price for MOBOs and RAM.

Also i will likely need a new cooler.

2 Likes

1 Like

Possible yes, plausible? Read the rest of the discussion.
And then of course

I mean of course I don’t know what your favourite chromium based browser is going to go to the effort of doing. But you could sidestep the guesswork entirely ahead of time if you wanted to.

2 Likes

I have installed Firefox to check it out. But i really like Vivaldi and will probably keep using both unless i can get used to FF.

2 Likes

Looks like Lunar Sale will be gone next year and be replaced by a new Spring Sale on March.

3 Likes

I barely use extensions so as much as Chrome changes suck, it doesn’t bother me much. I hate Firefox from the bloated days and not keen to give it another try. Rather than Opera or something else.

2 Likes

For the past few days i’ve been watching https://www.youtube.com/c/AbroadinJapan channel on Youtube. British guy is living in Japan for almost 10 years. Content spans from stupid but entertaining stuff like trying out all fried chicken in Japan ( and getting sick obvsl ) to pretty nicely made travel videos , visiting curious places and so on.

Really nice if you are interested in Japanese culture and lifestyle . Besides being such fun to watch it also lets you see what real life in Japan looks like dispelling a lot of , you know ‘outsider’ preconceptions .

4 Likes

Its nice to see Natsuki’s sidekick get some recognition from time to time. I’ve been following his escapades for a while now and strongly 2nd this recommendation.

Once you’ve managed to chew through his channel and if you’re still not satisfied looking at japan through someone else’s camera I’d recommend Tokyo lens. https://www.youtube.com/c/TokyoLens/videos He does more short documentary style stuff, I’ve linked a few of his videos before. His 2nd channel Tokyo lens explore is mostly long form exploration videos where he walks around areas and explores little back alleys and side streets.

3 Likes

If you’re interested in a livestream take on it RetroGaijin often does IRL streams going to places in Japan, he’s been living there for 8 years.

4 Likes

I keep on wondering if Natsukes’ English is really so ,well , entertainingly bad or it is a part of the persona.

3 Likes

Ah, so it looks like the CPUs stay around 40-70C during gaming and only roast during all core workloads. Additionally, looks like Eco mode is a thing which does make the CPU more appealing.

3 Likes

Well yeah all the tests were running completely CPU bound applications to see just how much juice you could squeeze out of them. No one claimed anything else, it was mostly just interesting that they would end up hitting a thermal throttle rather than a frequency cap.

The primary issue with it is rather that it’s a $300 CPU with a $300 motherboard only running DDR5 RAM as well as being rather power hungry and hot tempered. This all meant that it was not able to very well fill the role of it’s predecessor as a high value for money high high-mid to low high-ranged gaming system. The full system price is far too high for it’s position on the market.

Edit: looking at actual store prices here I’m seeing AM5 motherboard prices between $360 and $900. Which is absolutely ludicrous.

1 Like

I think that problem , among other reasons ofc , is that they havent yet launched any budget skews ( like B550 from previous GEN , or B450 from two gens ago ) and only premium line is up and available . There should be ~150$ Motherboards available a little bit later from what i’ve gathered. But i think we can forget about sub 100$ motherboards for ZEN4.

2 Likes
3 Likes