The Battle Royale between Battle Royale gaming studios

Apex Legends has hit 25 million players in a week; that’s something

6 Likes

And that’s without any help from me at all!

9 Likes

7 Likes

It’s only a matter of time before every game has a BR now even tetris lol

12 Likes

Tetris “BR” was great, played this a lot back in the days.

11 Likes

I’m not going to hate on Apex Legends - they did a great job copy+pasting the relevant features of the BR game mode from others while cutting away the chaff that people considered unnecessary. And they optimized!

Only thing I am waiting for is cross-play, which they have promised.

7 Likes

I’m still waiting for the BR mode for this classic. Someone make it happen.hqdefault

9 Likes

SHHHHHHHH!!!:no_mouth::zipper_mouth_face::shushing_face:

14 Likes

50 million players :astonished:

7 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what effect the Battle Pass has on those numbers. Obviously depends upon the free variant for a large number boost.

7 Likes

cool trailer, looks fun, gonna be fun watching some streamers play this

8 Likes

since they paid Ninja, lirik etc zillions to initially play Apex and subsequently make it a smash hit, i wonder if they are gonna do the same with this :thinking:
or just write off BF V’s loss already? :man_shrugging: :smile:

6 Likes

that’s not what makes a game a hit though, remember Radical Heights?

6 Likes

the game is probably good no doubt, but, the fact so many top streamers “showcased” it at launch, is also no doubt what had a significant (if not the major) factor in it’s popularity and massive rise
Ninja alone doing “anything”/“not playing fortnite” immediately blows sht up

7 Likes

listen dude, each streamer had 1 sponsored segment of a few hours and 1 tournament of a few hours, nothing more, and for the rest most streamers are playing this game day-in day-out cuz they love it, just like they did with Fortnite btw. I know cuz i watch several streamers every single day.

Just like suddenly they’re almost all playing GTAV rp these days, there’s this revival, it’s not cuz Rockstar is paying them to do so.

and there’s been tons of games who have sponsored segments on streamer channels all the time, that doesn’t do anything at all, if the streamers love the game and keep playing it, y, that does something, but 1 segment on 10-20 channels does nothing at all, there’s plenty of proof for that, there’s plenty of games that did that and went nowhere

it’s quite the opposite btw, if Ninja plays Radical Heights for a sponsored segment for 3-4h and then never goes back to it again his whole viewer base knows he thinks the game is inferior to the other product and Radical Heights goes nowhere at all…

not to mention that it’s on the screen and in the description that it’s sponsored to begin with…

also, as a side note, noteworthy to mention that Lirik has been publicly acknowledged for almost singlehandedly being responsible for the rise of BR as a genre (after PlayerUnknown ofc) as it is because he’s THE streamer who made BR so popular back in the days of the Arma mod.

7 Likes

6 Likes

i’m not even gonna argue the numbers or celebrity status, we both know in the streaming space Ninja is “the” biggest atm even if Lirik is the “grandad of BR”
furthermore Apex has little to no marketing going for it, EA basically propping Anthem up the traditional way blocking out Apex in the way so that the game even existing and “being out” was a surprise to so many -that’s it’s even been mentioned by people in the industry the lack of Apex pre-launch marketing was a bit strange
then combining it with the massive move of blanket covering all the top streamers, yea you bet it had a major impact
and ofc, had the game been utter shite, it would not have sustained it, like Radical Heighs, but you’re also not naive enough to think that when Ninja (or lirik) streams something with (paid)“enthusiasm” that it’s not gonna massively boost the influx of numbers, -and it’s the influx they’re banking on initially. Because if you get enough, then there is a greater chance they’ll stick around even if your product is only half decent *coughPUBG*cough. Radical Heights didn’t do too well on the numbers(compared), despite their attempted pr, and being a “rip off”+poor product didn’t help.
But yea, Apex had nearly 0 marketing, ofc it’s basically the streamer PR that made this product what it is -no one even know it existed otherwise, the fact it’s good only helps it, but no doubt wouldn’t have been enough to make it what it is without the assistance of stream marketing

and again, “Ninja doing anything” is a thing, and will increase the numbers massively, even if just temporary. It’s an old concept proven time and time again… How the hell do you think Poop in my soup got so popular without certain people doing lets plays of shitty or meme games that would otherwise have flown completely under the radar.
So when it’s done with a real game, ofc it boosts numbers even more, and is exactly why companies are rolling out the marketing mullah so much more and more in their direction, because it has a real impact.
Again, Apex had almost 0 visibility before streamers because EA was almost scared, that’s why they banked all the E3-to now traditional marketing on Anthem (hindsight 20/20 :joy:) -so yes this one is definitely on streamers+paid promotions, because people didn’t know it even existed; because EA didn’t really want us to(they wanted us to buy Anthem which would be a success).

and my whole point was that BF V was such a dumpsterfire for EA that even with paid promotion, “wonder if it would still be at a loss”/“might be too late so save even with popularity boost”? -because that game already has its past now.

6 Likes

first of all, u need to get yr facts straight, Ninja is #8 atm, with only 25K subs, Shroud has 100K…, and so there’s 6 ppl in between even, and i think Ninja is only on his way down more and more.

the reason Apex is so popular is cuz it’s a free-to-play, complete product that is fun to play and super-optimized and 1st player so not in direct competition with Fortnite on that front

also what “paid” enthusiasm are u talking about when u had a 2-hour paid segment but the streamer has been playing the game every single day for over a month, losing viewers every single time cuz ppl are sick of it. Every single day ppl complain about Lirik playing Apex instead of doing variety.

again, the main point is, had the streamers just done the sponsored thing and then not kept playing the game cuz it was’nt good enough, like Heights, then the game would not have succeeded either, the streamers keep playing cuz the game is rly good, just like with Fortnite, and the customer plays cuz it’s rly good too, just like with Fortnite.

6 Likes

circle killed u, yr out, sry

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

who cares about subs, it’s all about views, and followers, “media presence” of which Ninja, (as far as i’m aware) is the biggest, at least the one constantly being propped up in media -i don’t see shroud mentioned 24/7 by “awmagahw Xinsertninja did something”
and no, that might be the reason it has sustained popularity, but that’s by no means why it became popular, no one knew it existed, they would have kept playing fortnite or checkers.

and that’s where i disagree,
the game and product might being different (and better than heights) to “hold” them, but the massive numbers they got in initially is purely because of that.
you suddenly get 50mill people aware you exist, doesn’t really matter those “5mins” if you are good or bad, now people check you out. If you are good, sure you will last, and get more millions increase per week, like they did, but the game had been DOA if not for that concerted stream marketing, and it was imo pretty smart of Respawn to make sure their game wasn’t overly hyped, but came sorta as a surprise from the sidelines

6 Likes