Steam Summer Sale 2018 - Salien Minigame

I am not expecting anything for free, but I am being practical, I don’t really want to waste 2 min blocks of my time playing a very average defend the castle game in order to get the potential to get a game with severely diminished odds in comparison to those who are farming using scripts. It’s not about the points you get, it’s about the time you spend doing it
From the competition rules:

Each eligible Steam user who has played at least one battle on a given planet will be included in the drawing. Each entrant’s odds of winning will be determined by the time the entrant plays on the planet, as a fraction of the total time all entrants play on the planet prior to completion. The Steam Saliens game will be available during the Giveaway Period until all planets have been completed.

So farmers are going to have significantly better odds of winning as they will just be running the fights 24/7. And here is a fun fact on gaining xp in the game, if you want to farm xp even if you are level 1 don’t bother with low threat tiles, focus on high threat ones. I just did an experiment where I perfectly cleared a low threat round and got 585 points, I then went to a hard tile and literally didn’t attack and got 900, killing monsters gives you nothing in terms of points, it simply protects your base which generates them so really there is no point in fighting a lower tier tile unless there is no other option.

What is worse is that there is no mention of how many of each game they are giving away, so I guess I am just not willing to put a significant amount of time into doing something I don;t enjoy playing and am most likely going to get nothing out of.

6 Likes

There is no point in scripting - it appears to begin the timer for each planet when you first click on it for the day, ticks up regardless of whether you keep playing, AFK loaded, or leave page and browse Steam deals or play games or whatever. Check-in each day @ 9am and you get the same chances as every hardcore addict/scripter/hacker/etc.

As for accusations that it’s not “polished” enough, it’s a free browser-based game meant to promote a deal, that’s like saying your flier for a Free Oil Change! at Pete’s Auto didn’t include a song chip when you opened it, paired with a USB drive of sexy girls showing off all of Pete’s other auto-related deals. I agree, it’s not fancy. They probably had a team of 6 throw it together over the last couple weeks as part of the promotion. No clue what part of Valve they worked in, but they get to goof off making some promo deal for the Sales Department and fill in 1 line on their annual performance review: Entertained 151 million players with over 8.30 billion game sessions averaging 120 seconds apiece, generating 1.36 billion inventory items and instant market profit of $13.6 million for Summer Sale 2018 with trailing revenues. I’d say good job for a small team summer project.

2 Likes

Can anyone send me an invite to chrono.gg’s steam group as I want to represent the site while I do this meanie game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I noticed this as well but the competition specifically says time played on the planet therefore I was thinking the time battled on the planet, the wording is very confusing if it is not this. To be honest it’s pretty confusing either way: If it’s based on time battled then why put the timer on the tile screen and if it is based on the timer how is that considered “playing” and why bother battling more than once as you still have the same chance of winning as anyone who battles more?

If it is based on that timer shown I am not too fussed then by it, I will do a battle or two to get some cards and it can rack up the time.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Here is an even better xp farm, start a round and allow the game to start ticking up your score. Open a different tab and then do something else for a while, when you go to a different tab the game pauses the progress of the aliens but you score still keeps ticking up. If you catch it before it hits 2400 points you can keep the points, otherwise it may error out.

3 Likes

Are you guys playing in the browser or the client? The Steam client just hangs for me when I try to play and whilst I’ve got to level 3 in my Firefox browser, I haven’t received the Saliens participation badge, nor any level up clothing/hats.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Any idea how to fix the client hang? When I get home later today I’m going to try updating my Flash but other than that I’m out of ideas.

1 Like

i’ve updated everything i could think up, realeased my ip config flushed dns bla bla steam troubleshoot thingy, reinstalled steam, even installed the updated 2017 visual redist “just because”,
nothing, nada, zero zilch, the client is just arse atm for me too, no idea why the server load makes the client behave this way didn’t use to be this bad, -so browser definitely seem the way to go for me

don’t know when i got my first cosmetic, think i didn’t get any the first fw lvls, but only cards, unsure, i don’t have that many, doesn’t look like one per lvl tho since i got 2 sometimes, but drops being borked with the glitches/game crashes would not surprise me, card drops didn’t act proper the initial hours for me either, probably been through like 5 queues to get those 3

2 Likes

It’s a shame that I’m not even willing to describe the levels of frustration I’m building up…

But to the points at hand…

Steam client is really slow and breaks the game really fast. I managed to play through it few hours after the event started, but black screened constantly so I just moved to chrome and won’t bother with the client especially when it seems you need to farm time by staying on a planet.
I got only cards when I launched the … “game” … for the first time - 3 in total + the level 1 badge and recently got the level 2 badge when reached level 7. Still haven’t bothered to open the box, but received cosmetics for each level up. Most of the time just 1 after level 2 or 3 when I got like 4 .
I have a wild guess, but is there any chance your account on steam isn’t unlocked by spending $5 ever? With all those game/game bundle selling web pages like the one we are in now… it’s a possibility.

Confirmed, but it breaks 10/10 for me if I return after the 2 minutes and the xp isn’t added so you need to be on time or at least close. It’s probably just a better way, but still time loss and btw the absurd thing is that your abilities do reset when you are in a different tab, so you can pop up a freeze spell each time you check the timer as long as you do it in between 25 secs for the cooldown :stuck_out_tongue:

Not at all actually! I played only on MEDIUM levels right from level 1 (just wanted to check what’s the difference between it and LOW… it’s double the score so thank god I didn’t bothered with it) up until level 5. I had to click my mouse less than 20 times only to slow down the fastest of enemies while I’m HOLDING down 1 on the keyboard… No need to spam it… the only times I had to repress it again is after I use another ability.
On the “highest” difficulty I need to press the mouse about 50 times per 2 min round at tops and I just unlocked some dark hole ability on level 7 which I forget it exists and I haven’t even seen it yet.

just hold 1 and spam at the far edge where monsters spawn… if you see fast enemy click it with the mouse and it will get slowed down while you are still holding 1 and return to the other enemies … On the “highest” difficulty spam your 3 - the bomb which is 5 sec cooldown so I use it whenever… when I’m still awake cuz for plenty of times there’s nothing on the screen to shoot at even. I use the freeze ability mainly to cluster enemies easier so I can bomb them with 3 and during all this time you are repressing and holding your 1… Important to take notice is that your first ability is splash and it has some travel time so I always lead targets and there are plenty of good situations to spam between a cluster of them and they just die. The smallest enemies are often walking close together so just one volley there is enough and you already need to be aiming at something else or waiting for something to spawn… eventually.

Probably the most absurd bullshit in this … whatever it is… Is that there’s no real reason to bother to play on the low and medium difficulty, because you will never level up. Oh… gee… funny… on each planet HARD is the most played and the missions get done first which leads to another funny story. The squares with that difficulty have their progress changing the fastest and oh oops… 10 out of 10 times when the progress (even the bar) changes - CRASH and the score you earned 2360 xp for the so called “144 enemy aliens” doesn’t get added up and you wasted 2 minutes which only add up to your clock on being the planet… Happened like 10 times and I even started to make screenshots before and after I played such a square, but in the end I lied to myself that I’m not that stupid to bother even more than this idiotic thing is in the first place.

I usually drink only 1 cup of coffee a day - my morning one, but … not anymore. Thank you steam! It’s the early afternoon and I’m on 3 already. Next time let be at least some stupid old school card game… at least chess will be great to teach the kids something more meaningful or god damn simple puzzle game… ANYTHING BUT NOT THIS. Anything that requires your brain to function at least on minimal level ffs… Damn you steam… Have I thought about suicide in the 3 hours I “played” this? Sure!

Oh and @harith cheers man! Don’t even bother correcting this one… I’m not even gonna read it myself. I will just go curl up in some corner for now.

5 Likes

soo, apparently not only is there a lvl 10 after 9 (1.2million xp btw, -have fun)
but going by the badge, there is atleast 3 more badge lvls (assuming it doesn’t go "unending after that), and if it keeps on with the upgrade per 3rd lvl, that’s another freaking 8 lvls more up to 18, -with the “xp increase rate” :dizzy_face: :exploding_head:
with the speed the planets are being cleared i wonder if it’s even possible to get enough xp in time for that :thinking:
what the hell were valve thinking this event :confounded:
this wont end well :weary:

5 Likes

Why you do this? Just lie there’s only level 9 … we will be happier and I won’t tell anyone…

4 Likes

I ‘cheated’ my way up to level 5 just to see if the game got worth while in any way at higher levels. Seeing then that level 6 requires double the xp and nothing really changed I can not possibly be arsed.

Some planets are now sitting inactive as all the medium and high spaces are captured and no one is bothering with the low spaces since you don’t get any xp worth the time for them. So no planet is ever going to get captured from now on.

5 Likes

I haven’t even tried the game. Steam kept crashing on me when I was getting my 3 card drops when i was viewing the games. Took my about 30 mins or more to finish. I even had repeats in the SAME discovery queue. I don’t have the time to play a game for which I MIGHT get a game. And I don’t care about outfits. So silly.

2 Likes

lvl 6 takes like 10min? (30k xp,?) it’s the slot where you unlock your next badge lvl and those all important cosmetics, -how can you pass that up :crazy_face:
:smile:

yea i want to live “back then” too before i looked :worried:

3 Likes

it was 72k though while you get only 1180 from MEDIUM game :crazy_face: I will get so drunk tonight…

Ah wait level 7 is 72k… my bad!!! AND NOW I need 180k for level 8…

3 Likes

lol, another group that steam universe actually got a tile here
and happened to the one i’d been spamming all the time yday, how the heck :rofl:

ahh i see, they added a fresh planet with new games attached now, sneaky valve

wow, wow wow WOW, is the meteor underwhelming and lackluster, can’t believe that’s they give for all that “work”/xp :tired_face:

2 Likes

Nope. I am a fully verified, tip top, rootin’, tootin’, alien shootin’ full Steam account. How very dare you even think I’m a free loader! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

For anyone willing to play the odds:

Just leave the game afk on a planet of your choice. Play a tile once to confirm an entry and that’s really all you have to do. You don’t have to play to increase your odds, you just have to have a page open and leave it open so the counter ticks up. That alone picks up your odds.

That’s all this dude did and he already won a game.

Reddit Link

(posting the URL turned it into an image…)

5 Likes

I’m really sorry and I wasn’t thinking that :stuck_out_tongue: Just wanted to rule it out … when I came to steam I wasn’t buying games from them for like 7-8 months and was buying from pages like chrono and humble bundle so it’s kinda normal… until I started to pile up and level up the account and everything went downhill for understandable reasons :smiley:

I have no idea why you aren’t receiving the stuff than… Day 1 first 5-6 hours were total joke like always, but when the thing managed to load I got everything on the spot :confused:

Yeah that’s what I’m doing now … I can’t be arsed to “play” this … whatever it is, because it’s not a game for sure

4 Likes

Steam Client or internet browser?

3 Likes