Recently Played Games

Is it really that good? I have a very hard time trusting Ninja Theory.

3 Likes

Why do you have a hard time trusting Ninja Theory @Truly?

I kind of feel the exact opposite. Ninja Theory hasn’t disappointed me thus far. I enjoyed Enslaved and thought they did a fantastic job on the DMC reboot (coming from a big fan of the series). I haven’t played Heavenly Sword, but even that seems to have been met with mostly favorable reviews.

As for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, the game looks amazing. The psychosis aspect is definitely intriguing. I’ve had this on my waitlist for quite some time and plan on picking it up in the not-so-distant future.

4 Likes

it was good enough to make Jim Sterling retract a review and redo the score (and gave it a decent one at that)
something he didn’t do previously,

not even for Yooka-Laylee or Breath of the Wild :joy_cat:

regardless of that
it’s one of the few games i have considered/am considering to perhaps maybe pick up without discount (still not fully decided on that tho), which is rare, despite all the “controversy”, and the “half” price-tag for what appears to be AAA production quality and gorgeous to boot all adds to my consideration
the psychosis aspect in particular have interest to me

3 Likes

did anybody get SALT when it was on chrono? I’m an avid fan of single player survival games. and multiplayer I guess lets just… not mention rust…

ahem, SALT is a really cool game where you make a boat then float around killing pirates and finding treasure, I think its really quite chill with the exception of hunting deer to open chests… that just… ugh. but they added birds recently and that makes a very fun experience as the arrow physics yarrg pretty good. all in all a very chill experience, I’m sure its cheap everywhere because of its simplicity so pick it up someday.

3 Likes

I absolutely hated the story in Enslaved and the gameplay just wasn’t fun imo. I felt similarly about DMC, I didn’t finish it though.
Seeing so many people play Hellblade right now might mean that they’ve done something right this time.

@Gnuffi I don’t trust reviewers but yeah it does seem like people really like it.

5 Likes

oh i don’t trust reviewers either, (or “scores” at all),
i just watch Sterling for the comedy
but it was something noteworthy regarding his review tho, since usually that doesn’t happen, or he just reviews a game without score

i do listen to critique tho(“professional” or users), to get bearings on gameplay or bugs/issues so i don’t go in blind, and i don’t “have” to be spoiled by watching a video/stream that gives away too much ahead of my own play

4 Likes

Yeah it’s good to get some understanding of a game before paying full price if it’s a new title.
I rarely buy new titles so I usually just scroll through steam reviews for 5 minutes to get a rough idea of the big positives and negatives.

3 Likes

Well, I am supposed to be Beta testing Saturated Dreamers(got an update last night)

and Heart. Papers. Border. (It got 2 updates recently)

My cataracts are getting worse and I can’t see well enough to test crap! Luckily I have the surgery in Sept.(right eye) and Oct.(left)
So now I have to be content playing games with BIG Pieces So I have been playing Chuzzle, Bejeweled 3 and Fishdom games. Like I said…Don’t get old!

3 Likes

Doesn’t really say anything about the game, mostly just about Sterling. Don’t know how this came about, but it tells me that he judges games based on uninformed assumptions before even having given the game a chance. Question is then not only how come he changed his mind this time but also for how many games did he let his presuppositions dictate the verdict?

Been feeling overall rather disappointed in reviewers of all stripes these days, the ‘new media’ reviewers have kind of started slipping into the habits of the old media they presumed to replace lately.

5 Likes

he encountered a bug, after 8 hours of play(in a supposed short game), a user incited “bug” perhaps, that highlighted some design flaws, with game breaking results (not like he didn’t give the game a chance)
and then the question is, “what does a reviewer do in such cases”
do they not review at all? do they review without score? do they wait for patch?, and is it reasonable to ask/demand to wait for patch since it was shipped/received as such in that state?
what many demanded in that/his case was, “play the entire game again”, but that in fact just further highlighted the design flaws’ consequence that would have resulted from the “bug”
but somethings you can’t ask/demand of a “professional” since it plays into the conditions of the business, workload etc. If you ship a product and are willing to charge for it and have it reviewed(even “professionally”) you better accept the terms and have QA’d it enough to take into account what might happen,
because constant demanding of “do-overs” because “we can patch it nowadays” is unreasonable, you just should have done better testing, since there will always be 1 idiot that manage to break something foolproof,
same when people send out review copies for MP games before release with 0 population, or a “complex” rpg with potential for glitches, or relying on 3rd party drivers to assist with optimization. The reviewer can in the end only review what they received, in the state they received it, with all that entails, accompanying personal/emotional complications as a result too,
there has to be a limit to their “due diligence”

some critiques are valid, (and some are at time just plain stupid ofc)
but all scores are meaningless,
thus scores resulting from valid critique combined with spur of the moment situational “rationale”/emotions, OR even without, are equally pointless
thus all that matters is the critique itself, and his was honestly well done, never said it was a bad game, just that the “bug” ruined it for him, which is true, and would be for most, and in his case he also let his score reflect it this time, since it was all he had to work with because of their design decisions

(personally i didn’t give a crap about the score, unlike many users/viewers i only pay attention to the commentary, highlighting/mention X/Y
i actually laughed when he mentioned the “bug”, because i instantly noticed it was “user created error” that caused it as i saw it unfold. But the design flaws the incident brought to light was thus valid and could potentially have gone wrongfully unnoticed which would have been a disservice to people, especially since it and other alike did turn out to happen to other people)

3 Likes

I’m not sure I mentioned this before but recently I’m into Hyper Light Drifter, it’s not just a game, it’s an amazing masterpiece. The gameplay, the art, the soundtrack, everything is just perfect.

And holy moly @Gnuffi, everytime I saw you, you always comes up with a wall of text posting, are you a writer or journalist in real life? If not you should consider about these jobs tbh :grin:

10 Likes

Didn’t Ninja Theory make Metroid on the Wii? No, not Prime 3: Corruption, that badass FPS platformer. The OTHER Metroid game for Wii… you know the one. If that’s the one… yeah, there’s a reason you can’t trust them.

I mean, you can’t retcon an entire series and replace THIS:

with THIS:

… and expect widespread praise.

3 Likes

Nah dude, Ninja Theory is bad but you’re thinking of Team Ninja. A generally good studio that really goofed with Metroid.

4 Likes

Yeah, like Truly said, that was Team Ninja.

I have Metroid: Other M in my collection (spent a whopping $4 on it brand new :joy:) but never felt compelled to play it. Is it really that bad?

I wouldn’t judge a studio on one game (i.e. Metroid: Other M) but in the case of Team Ninja, they have been on a downward slide since the original Xbox. I would take any Ninja Theory game over anything Team Ninja has put out in the past decade.

4 Likes

Not from Chrono, my latest acquisition and I’ve been crushed by it in the past few days.

Would be nice to see it here on Chrono at some point in the future. But I couldn’t wait. heh

5 Likes

Looks interesting. Added it to my wishlist. Will probably wait for it come out of Early Access before buying though.

4 Likes

Yes, absolutely, other M is that bad.

Basically, I can’t even think of the word “Ninja” without getting PTSD flashbacks… of poorly written PTSD flashbacks. That cutscene was the absolute nail in the coffin, though; the controls sucked, the first person was shoehorned in, the story was garbage, I hated most of the characters, just an awful trainwreck of a game. That said, make sure to check out the Prime Trilogy! It’s made by the ex-Turok developers under Retro studios and they absolutely nailed it. I need to go back and play 1/2 eventually, but Prime 3 (the only one I ever got to play) is one of my favorite games of all time.

4 Likes

Yup the Prime games are excellent

3 Likes

so, yea
…Starcraft remastered is out,…
-see y’all next millennia

buh-bye,
:joy_cat:

5 Likes

What kind of game is that Dlrow fo Tfarcraw?!

Anyhow, @Gnuffi gimme the right answer, please: I’d like to hide one particular game from the Blizzard launcher. From your experience, this function is already available?

3 Likes