Free Steam Games Thread

Hue is a really great puzzle platformer with very pretty art and a rather quick 100% completion (mine was 6.2 hrs). Definitely recommend if that sounds like a good time to you! :art:

5 Likes

Hue sounded like a good time to me but I’ve not been having a good time with it, and I’m not sure I have the patience to push through ): Too many of the rooms have a time pressure element, and that’s something I just don’t enjoy at all. The backtracking for the collectibles is also pretty tedious.

7 Likes

Forgot to mention that Hue has already been given away in the past by Epic Games.

4 Likes

That gives me pause. I haven’t played it yet but also thought it looked like a neat concept, but time pressure on puzzles almost always feels to me like a frustration-inducing, lazy way to increase difficulty (as opposed to actually designing a good puzzle).

The other common puzzler “sin” that irks me is state-change irreversibility (possibility to get the puzzle “stuck” and needing the level to be reset in order to solve it, as opposed to having a way for the character to put something back). Seen any of that?

3 Likes

More detail on what I meant by “time pressure”: there are crumbling platforms, falling objects, etc, and these often require changing colour mid-jump, which I don’t like. Since time passes while you’re selecting colours (albeit slowly), you have to figure out which colour you need essentially on a timer. Since you can’t look ahead and these sequences tend to be larger, you can’t take your time to plan what you have to do on the first try.

There are also several bits where you need to change colours while running to avoid obstacles or death, those aren’t so bad. In one of them though, I thought it was a puzzle rather than an autoscroller and got myself stuck. There’s a room reset option in the menu though.

The puzzles are usually designed in such a way that it’s difficult or impossible to put yourself in an unwinnable state, but it is possible where the same box may need to be used for multiple tasks on different platforms; in those cases it’s possible to drop the box before you’ve used it, and it’s not possible to pull the box back up. I’ve only used the room reset feature for an actual puzzle once so far, so this hasn’t felt like a real issue.

Most of the rooms are chill with no time pressure, it’ll usually be something like 3-4 chill puzzle rooms followed by a more action-oriented room with simpler puzzling but with time pressure, and unfortunately those time pressure rooms override my enjoyment of the more chill rooms.

5 Likes

Free to keep when you get it before 2 Jun @ 2:00pm.

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful reply =)

6 Likes

Sorry you had a rough time with it, sometimes I forget that what is chill to me platforming-wise is a little more intense for others! :confounded:

6 Likes

That’s to be expected on occasion. I mean FTL is one of my favorite games of all time but you can’t look through the reviews or visit the forums without seeing people complaining that the game is “literally impossible” and so the positive reviews “must all be fake” :roll_eyes:

Everyone has different games they jive with, and that’s just fine =)

5 Likes

>>> Just Click Install <<<

5 Likes

I found the “puzzle” part of Hue to be on the easy side, to the point where the time pressure puts it more in the action-platformer genre than the puzzle-platformer genre. It kinda feels like people just put the “puzzle” tag on any platformer without hack-‘n’-slash-style combat.

5 Likes

I think it’s perfectly fair to call Hue a puzzle game, and the chill rooms with no time pressure make up the majority of it (at least as far as I’ve played - I kind of forgot about it, oops). Since it does also have the more action bits, puzzle-platformer seems like a fine description.

Easy [genre] games are still [genre] games xP

4 Likes

Game will switch to paid soon.

6 Likes

>>> JUST CLICK INSTALL <<<

5 Likes

7 Likes

Thanks @carvalho20ptc :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Free to keep when you get it before 8 Jun @ 1:00pm.

8 Likes

Thanks @carvalho20ptc :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Timely find. Thanks @carvalho20ptc :heart:

5 Likes

>>> JUST CLICK INSTALL <<<

Or use javascript on browser

• On your URL Type javascript: and then copy paste that AddFreeLicense(893476) then click enter.
    or
  • Open browser console and type all above then enter.

Or if you use ASF

!addlicense ASF s/893476

7 Likes