Cyberpunk 2077

I have a job . I dont have ducking time to play games :smiley:

5 Likes

I’d find time for this xD

3 Likes

You don’t need sleep, right?

5 Likes

as long as I replace my brain with a supercomputer…

4 Likes

My primary source for my claim is games, Cyberpunk 2020 and primarily shadowrunner with which I have the most personal experience. In the latter the “setting” is pretty much Seattle there are other cities of course but that’s the primary scene that most games and adaptation springs from. Many movies and series also keep to the one big city kind of premise, blade runner being a prime example.

I however do not find that all your real life examples quite apply because people in “our world” and reality tend to, whether by choice or not, cling together with ethnically similar people. As you yourself note the Japanese people stuck together in Japanese quarters and thereby preserve their ethnic identity within the city. We see that also being the case in other places around the world. We have chinatowns wherever large numbers of Chinese people congregate, Korea towns with Koreans and Islamic quarters where middle easterners end up running the show. These are to some extent failures to integrate into their host cultures, which comes with plenty both positives and negatives.

This I find do not tend to apply to fictional dystopian societies primarily because the poor people in these megacities do not have freedom of movement and they do not get to chose where they live. Despite this though the Chinese are often portrayed as still having managed to maintain their Chinatowns and cultural identity. Everyone else is made to live wherever whichever ruling elite deems necessary. This means you don’t get to chose your neighbors and your family might either be stuck in one place for generations or moved around as often as demanded.

These circumstances I would surmise will not allow you to hang on to cultural identities or language quirks for very long.

I can cite some personal experience with this as an example. When I was in 4th grade we had a transfer student, a boy from Hong Kong. He was born there but moved to Sweden when he was 4 or 5 I believe. He came to my class speaking Swedish almost perfectly, no real accent what so ever. His only lasting connection to Hong Kong was his single mother, with whom he spoke her language. She had clearly applied herself too and spoke Swedish well, but not perfectly and with an accent. Since he had arrived here he had lived among Swedish people, his neighbors, his friends and everyone he’s engaged with were Swedish. He was Swedish.

When I started first grade we had one muslim girl in our class, I do not know exactly where she was from, when she arrived in Sweden or really anything about her. Because she isolated herself from the rest of the class, she didn’t make friends with the other girls in class despite their many attempts. She lived in a small part of town that was almost entirely muslim inhabited. By grade 6, she still barely spoke Swedish and she was still alone and I must imagine very lonely. I don’t know what happened to her as schools were switched entering grade 7 and I never saw her again.

Point here being this muslim girl never seemed to try to integrate into Swedish society, nor picking up our language whether by choice or not. The fellow from Hong Kong did. The biggest difference between them, as far as I can tell, is that one lived in a community of their own cultural identity and the other one did not.

I skimmed through your document for the pages pertaining to Sweden and I’m not sure exactly what it was that you found interesting there. I could talk at length about Fennoswedes or the great differences in dialects from each cardinal direction. But I’ve written enough as it stands and I don’t feel this applies to the fictional settings we’re talking about, for reasons already stated.

3 Likes

Above is a repost from a related topic last year that sums up my feelings. Also, thought I’d share this nifty gif.

4 Likes

@Gnuffi The 'puter turned into a Dark Souls Mimic. :slight_smile: Good gif.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJWwFwKd_k - THIS VIDEO MAKES ME HAPPY AF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4 Likes

Everyone after seeing intro: Cyberpunk is cool. is chill
Everyone after seeing Keanu: I’m getting Cyberpunk! WOOOO! loses their minds

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

well of course, he is one of the most humble, kindest, generous, likable people in the industry, but severe tragedy can do that to some people.

8 Likes

In an act of self-promotion, I’m reviving my own thread to say GUYS I HAD THE WEIRDEST DREAM LAST NIGHT.

I swear: I dreamed I was playing Cyperpunk 2077.

But the thing is, it was so real! My dream even had ambient occlusion . I think I need help. I’m not even that hyped for the game.

I was playing as this chick with a long purple ponytail and shorts, and she was holding a baseball bat. The current objective (yeah… dreams) was to hop off the car and get into a restaurant for some reason.

There were colorful vending machines in the back, puddles and piles of trash surrounding the restaurant’s entrance and neon lights everywhere. For some reason she was wearing flip flops lmao

Was all in 3rd person view, and I could even hear the cars in the distance…

Have any of you ever dreamed about playing videogames? Haha

6 Likes

Yup! Just recently, I dreamed Markiplier was the hero of the universe I was in. Myself, some kind of bard/Overwatch Mercy hybrid.

It was really pretty but hard to describe. Sound / singing was my attack and defense for me and my “crew” of one. Heh.

Very trippy and at the time, I was happy.

6 Likes

https://discordemoji.com/assets/emoji/ConcernedFroge.png

5 Likes

4 Likes

* “I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror… I fear something terrible has happened.”

*Just memeing

3 Likes

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”- Miyamoto
I much prefer they take the time they need to make this game as good as they can make it rather than rushing it out to meet an arbitrary dead line that means nothing.

More developers should do this.

5 Likes

I thought it was painfully obvious they were never going to release on time. At this point, since the hype is so high, it would be absolutely tragic if they release on time with a bad game. Maybe I’ll buy it for myself as a birthday present a week later :smiley:

4 Likes

Cyberpunk got delayed again to December.

6 Likes

not too surprised, still looking forward to the finished product though.

5 Likes

Of course a bunch of “gamers” are angry at them but at least they didn’t throw it into the next year like what happened to many movies in 2020.
Speaking of which let’s hope this doesn’t become another “The New Mutants”, where in the end we got something so subpar you’d end up finding it in a bargain bin somewhere around where you live.

3 Likes