Cyberpunk 2077

raises hand lol

It’s an awesome deal to be sure. Even with Pre-order though, I can’t run Cyberpunk at all until later this year. Edit: Before April 2020, ha ha.

Voted on “Keanu is hot”, ha ha. Seriously though, I didn’t like him much in Matrix or Speed, but as John WIck, heck yea!

4 Likes

5 Likes

there’s not my option in the vote thingy so here what i vote for

• preparing myself to an Disgusting game so that when i play it i can only be pleasantly surprise instead of let down #nmsNoMore

also preordering but without expecting to have any fun whatsoever

3 Likes

I wonder, can you buy the RED Bundle and gift away the copies of the games you already own? I’d love that option. I’ve got the entire Witcher collection already but I’d love to be able to get the bundle and gift them to a friend or family member and keep Cyberpunk 2077. I’d imagine not, but I never bought a bundle I had games of already. :thinking:

@Pylinaer

I think that’s a bit different. NMS came from a new team shooting for something pretty huge, didn’t it? CD Projekt RED already had multiple successful, good games under their belt so it is a safer bet.

Also, I like NMS. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

yeah it is a freaking amazing game, probably be one of the best games in 2019 after their upcoming expansion :smile:

4 Likes

I mean, my dudes, I had to use this mod to play properly:

Of course it was far from perfect, but it was hella fun. I’m also with @Fraggles as I really enjoyed the combat.

I modded it at lot to improve on an already great game and I think that helped. :+1:

Speaking of which I still haven’t finished TW3… :cry:

3 Likes

Don’t diss on Witcher 3 or I’ll take 'em as fighting words. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: it is possibly the greatest narrative in gaming history, something rarely achieved. Not being able to jump in shallow water doesn’t take away from that. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Well… I pre-ordered it already :grimacing:
Had some giftcards laying around for this one store so it was going towards half price :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Cool about the discounts! What are you looking forward to the most?

Personally, I’m curious about how they’ll handle the ambience and set the mood: music, sound effects, lightning, clothes, furniture… all these details, to me, count a lot when it comes to world-building!

Another thing I always pay close attention to, as someone who works with languages, is how books, TV shows, movies and games handle slang. The sci-fi TV show The Expanse does it masterfully: people from different planets speak different dialects, and it’s more and more distinct the farther away they are distance and technology-wise.

I know I may be asking too much out of Cyberpunk, but I do have high expectations! haha

3 Likes

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Fallout 76
Assassin’s Creed: Unity
Anthem
Trine 3

Not saying that it won’t be good, but just because they have done amazing in the past doesn’t mean it’s automatically going to be good.

As for NMS, did they dial back the time wasting and grind? I stopped playing after the multiplayer update effectively wiped progress and added time gates. Plus required you to fix the bag slot increases instead of just paying for them.

3 Likes

Well, I’m a sucker when it comes to like dystopian cyberpunk like games, movies and series. So a big open world RPG with character customization, choices, FPS and so on made by the people who gave us The Witcher 3. It sounds like a dream come true

4 Likes

For the most part cyberpunk stories tend to take place within one sprawling cityscape. While I’m sure you can find speech fluctuations within a city and certainly between social layers finding dialects split up based on regions is unlikely.

In these kind of dystopian mega-city sort of settings I often tend to find strong randomly sprinkled dialects and accents weird and breaking. The poor in these worlds do not get to move around much, you don’t really get to grow up in one place and move on your own volition to a place where your language would be out of place. The rich meanwhile are in these settings just as in real life concerned about not having accents or dialects and so anyone who for some reason started out with one has trained hard to rid themselves of it.

People packed into one place homogenize fairly quickly. Sure your ancestry might be Jamaican but your family has had to live in close quarters with a great number of diverse people for a few generations. I would think it highly unlikely that the accent of your grand-parents or even parents has passed on to you to any meaningful degree.

2 Likes

You’re saying this based on what? In what medium? Books, movies, TV shows, games?

I live in one of the biggest cities in the world. The amount of different Brazilian accents is outstanding, and they vary according to class and race – because RaCiSm DoEsN’t ExiSt iN BrAzIL, folks. These are people whose families have been in São Paulo for several generations, and yet their southern, northeastern or even mineiro accents have persisted.

And yet, the plurality of our culture does not reach the level of multiculturalism of cities like, say, London. When I was there I was bloody chocked to be in train where, close to me, there were people speaking English, Portuguese, Spanish and French. Swahili, Hindu, Arabic and, of course, all kinds of English and British accents.

It was insane. Although their case is tightly woven with the recent immigration crisis and the majority of those immigrants are possibly the first or second generations on English soil.

In Brazil’s case, for example, we have Japanese immigration that dates as far as our first big inflow, aboard the Kasato Maru in 18th of June 1908. Since then, several generations of Japanese – and other Eastern cultures – have established whole neighborhoods akin to their culture and homeland, as such is the case of the Liberdade – “freedom” – neighborhood in my city.

At Liberdade, merchants, shop owners, street musicians, craftsman, sword-art experts and even monks all have a very strong accent, depending on where their family is from. I wrote an entire example of an exchange I had but it made the post too long so I deleted it.

Now, since I know you, F, and you’ll tell me that my example doesn’t serve to sustain a fact throughout a whole culture – and you’d be right, as well as your examples don’t hold such empirical value either – so I’d link you some studies which discuss the subject, but I’m leaving for college soon.

For now, this book popped up in my immediate suggestions. Haven’t read it, but I ctrl+f’d it for “Sweden” and interesting things showed up. Do they check out?:

What does my question and this rant have to do with Cyberpunk 2077?

F, you didn’t watch the trailer and you don’t want to be spoiled. So I won’t spoil you. But very light spoilers on how they’re handling the city-building from the trailer:

start of trailer

“This is a big city yada yada loads of poverty yada and yet people still keep coming here because of promises and how it always has something for you yada”

SO THAT MEANS there’s a helluva lot of immigration going on. So maybe there’s like… segregation, racism, ethnicity-oriented districts… there WOULD have to be on a city that cize with so many different kinds of people, right? FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

5 Likes

YOU’RE ALL BREATHTAKING

5 Likes

I wish I had a job just for games like this.

3 Likes

I have a job . I dont have ducking time to play games :smiley:

5 Likes

I’d find time for this xD

3 Likes

You don’t need sleep, right?

5 Likes

as long as I replace my brain with a supercomputer…

4 Likes

My primary source for my claim is games, Cyberpunk 2020 and primarily shadowrunner with which I have the most personal experience. In the latter the “setting” is pretty much Seattle there are other cities of course but that’s the primary scene that most games and adaptation springs from. Many movies and series also keep to the one big city kind of premise, blade runner being a prime example.

I however do not find that all your real life examples quite apply because people in “our world” and reality tend to, whether by choice or not, cling together with ethnically similar people. As you yourself note the Japanese people stuck together in Japanese quarters and thereby preserve their ethnic identity within the city. We see that also being the case in other places around the world. We have chinatowns wherever large numbers of Chinese people congregate, Korea towns with Koreans and Islamic quarters where middle easterners end up running the show. These are to some extent failures to integrate into their host cultures, which comes with plenty both positives and negatives.

This I find do not tend to apply to fictional dystopian societies primarily because the poor people in these megacities do not have freedom of movement and they do not get to chose where they live. Despite this though the Chinese are often portrayed as still having managed to maintain their Chinatowns and cultural identity. Everyone else is made to live wherever whichever ruling elite deems necessary. This means you don’t get to chose your neighbors and your family might either be stuck in one place for generations or moved around as often as demanded.

These circumstances I would surmise will not allow you to hang on to cultural identities or language quirks for very long.

I can cite some personal experience with this as an example. When I was in 4th grade we had a transfer student, a boy from Hong Kong. He was born there but moved to Sweden when he was 4 or 5 I believe. He came to my class speaking Swedish almost perfectly, no real accent what so ever. His only lasting connection to Hong Kong was his single mother, with whom he spoke her language. She had clearly applied herself too and spoke Swedish well, but not perfectly and with an accent. Since he had arrived here he had lived among Swedish people, his neighbors, his friends and everyone he’s engaged with were Swedish. He was Swedish.

When I started first grade we had one muslim girl in our class, I do not know exactly where she was from, when she arrived in Sweden or really anything about her. Because she isolated herself from the rest of the class, she didn’t make friends with the other girls in class despite their many attempts. She lived in a small part of town that was almost entirely muslim inhabited. By grade 6, she still barely spoke Swedish and she was still alone and I must imagine very lonely. I don’t know what happened to her as schools were switched entering grade 7 and I never saw her again.

Point here being this muslim girl never seemed to try to integrate into Swedish society, nor picking up our language whether by choice or not. The fellow from Hong Kong did. The biggest difference between them, as far as I can tell, is that one lived in a community of their own cultural identity and the other one did not.

I skimmed through your document for the pages pertaining to Sweden and I’m not sure exactly what it was that you found interesting there. I could talk at length about Fennoswedes or the great differences in dialects from each cardinal direction. But I’ve written enough as it stands and I don’t feel this applies to the fictional settings we’re talking about, for reasons already stated.

3 Likes