Crazy News Stories

Are not hand sanitizers and medical alcohol supposed to have emetics mixed in them for this very reason? Stop people using it for cocktails.

4 Likes

I’m not sure. The article says they had a seizure and died but they could have vomited too.

I do remember that was for hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol. Probably for the same reason you mentioned. People see alcohol and put it in a drink.

3 Likes

Natural selection at its best.

3 Likes

2 Likes

America: We have (some of)inserted by european the best universities in the world

also America: imma gonna drink these :skull::skull_and_crossbones: (because instructions unclear)

edit lol, no idea why it somehow replied to you when it was meant for GeekI’s post

4 Likes

It’s probably done before in other businesses more frequently before but its pretty neat they do so regardless idk

6 Likes
5 Likes

SO STUPID!!!

6 Likes

This might seem shocking to the general public, but it won’t surprise anyone working in defense or defense-adjacent industries (particularly aerospace, propulsion, etc.). It’s an entire sector that really bloomed during the Cold War and -outside of the office- most of it still runs in facilities built during the Cold War and with equipment bought during the Cold War.

It’s not without reason, either. Those ancient machines have been so thoroughly debugged you can run them for a decade without rebooting. Compare to modern computers that are black boxes even to computer science grads.

5 Likes

So…IOW if it’s not broke…Don’t fix it. LIke they TRY to improve everything else and break it in the long term or add things that are crazy…

3 Likes

I’d say that’s part of it. I’d summarize in three parts:

1. If it works, keep doing it that way.
  2. If it’s simple, you can fix it. If it’s complex, you might be able to fix it. If it’s complicated, you can’t rely on it.
  3. Changing things costs money.

To elaborate on #3, making any sort of change (particularly when you have federal oversight) is far more involved than you’re probably imagining. The system is designed to prevent any one person from being able to easily change anything because of #1 and #2. If I want an upgraded computer for myself, my cost is parts and time. If I want an upgraded computer that’s going to control the broadgoods spool rate on prepreg composites that go into high temperature nozzles -even if I don’t plan to even change the process at all (which is a much much larger can of worms)- get ready to spend a loooot of money. You need to change drawings, you need to qualify the hardware, you need to run tests, you need to pay for many hours for many people spent in review boards, etc. Reliability and repeatability are the names of the game, and nobody wants to risk degrading them (for good reason).

Not to say such a mindset doesn’t ever get in the way. It definitely gets in the way of necessary changes and improvements. There’s simply no way for such a system to distinguish between a bad idea and a good one with any sort of speed, so the default position is that all change is bad until proven otherwise.

4 Likes

So there are probably programs using an abacus instead of a calculator.

2 Likes

You might be missing #4. It also needs to be secure.

@Delenn13 NASA had a lady dubbed the human calculator that did quite a bit of the calculations and even checked the computer calculations to make sure they were right. I forgot her name unfortunately.

6 Likes

Katherine Johnson i think.

4 Likes

Security isn’t generally a factor in considering hardware changes or isolated computing systems (human factor is the weak point), but yeah if you’re talking about new software (not my area) on networked systems (also not my area) I’m sure it’s a major headache.

Ironically, a floppy is probably considered a layer of security these days because so few people are able to even interface with them lol.

3 Likes

correct. I thought i remember seeing something about her because she had passed away. Thing was, I thought it was like…a couple years ago. Nope, that was in February 2020.

I think this is probably where most of the secure comes in, potentially even for hardware.

3 Likes

How else are you going to keep the cylons out?

3 Likes

Exactly, keep those systems off the network! Isolated computers only!

3 Likes

this guy

6 Likes

so apparently Epic decided to expand the “muh no 30% cut” frontier :thinking:

:rofl: :joy:

5 Likes