Coronavirus

Glad you are feeling better. :hugs:

1 Like

welp, vaccine appointment got canceled due to inclement weather, but all is rescheduled so I guess it’s back to more waiting.

2 Likes

my mom was moved from Grp 1 to Grp 2 for vaccinations because they changed priority away from healthcare staff
… and now she tested positive/got sick before getting the vaccine… :unamused:

5 Likes

Oh man, I am so sorry. Sending prayers and lots of huggles. :hugs:

Since the PM notifications don’t work, check your messages.

3 Likes

wtf, who came up with that brilliant idea?

God protect and fully heals her, dude

4 Likes

I agree. In Ontario they are giving the vaccines to Health care workers and Seniors in the LTC(Long Term Care)Centres. They were hit hard and fast because of family visits(at the beginning) then the health care people were going between centres and spread it too.

2 Likes

So sorry @Gnuffi, that’s indeed a terrible move. Hope she gets well soon!

5 Likes

“geniuses” that suddenly thought the elderly should have priority, and not those attending to them that are more exposed :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

hm, in that case, I think i might have to agree in the sense that the elderly are more at risk of dying from the disease overall

even if those attending to them were vaccinated, they could still contract the virus and pass it on to the elderly, resulting in the elderly dying; the opposite should result in substantially less deaths overall

it sucks regardless though, and in a perfect world, there’d be enough for everybody, or at least for both the elderly and medical staff

2 Likes

We are trying to do both at the same time because if all your TRAINED medical people die who will be left to take care of the sick.

4 Likes

the undertakers

5 Likes

for sure, but it’s a given that the elderly and people with respiratory diseases die at an exponentially higher rate, so to me it makes sense to protect those ppl first.

it’s cold and cruel, but when it comes to numbers, 1% (or whatever it might be) of medical staff is way less deaths than 20% (or whatever it might be) of elderly people and ppl with respiratory issues

for sure, doing both at the same time is the way to go, but if a choice must be made, then it would come down to numbers if it were my decision

2 Likes

I’ve checked the numbers for Poland (absolute values will differ per country, but the ratios will be similar).

Population total: 38,4 million
Population 60+: 9,7 million

Doctors: 88k
Nurses: 184k
Misc. : 51k (paramedics, diagnosticians, dentists, midwifes, pharmacists)
Total: 323k

Sources

Polska w liczbach » Przystępne dane statystyczne
https://cez.gov.pl/fileadmin/user_upload/Biuletyny_informacyjny/biuletyn_2018_5c3deab703e35.pdf
https://www.oecd.org/poland/Polska-Profil-systemu-ochrony-zdrowia-2019-Launch-presentation.pdf

So…
If they can’t vaccinate the medical staff, how are they going to cover 30x more of the most vulnerable?
That medical staff keeps 120x more alive/healthy; they don’t have to die to be unable to do so, inactivity per quarantine is enough, and that’s if they’re lucky.

So, considering the numbers, why would anyone make that decision?

4 Likes

Got my first dose of Moderna today. Shot itself I barely felt, but since about 3 hours after it felt like someone slugged me in the arm really hard. I think that’s the only side effect so far, as I can contribute most of my other crappy feeling to my job the day before.

3 Likes

How’s your mom? :hugs:

3 Likes

she’s doing better, feisty woman, no “influenza” gonna bring her down it seems :blush:

5 Likes
4 Likes

source (needs subscription or free trial to read): Why the models warning of a third UK Covid wave are flawed

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder how many of those are within the 2 week range before the vaccine takes full effect, and people are going out early thinking themselves to be immune.

4 Likes

wonder if that’s what happens when you deliberately make vaccines less effective to score PR points :thinking:
or if such numbers could be skewed when you have a major part of the populate received a doze of the vaccines compared to those still not ?

2 Likes