Coronavirus

no idea, but I have seen some stuff being said a while ago about the vaccinated having weaker resistance against becoming infected by strains other than the one they were vaccinated against in comparison with ppl who weren’t vaccinated at all, so maybe that has something to do with it; it certainly would explain the higher percentage

it is problematic to say the least. I know in Israel the vaccine is supposed to be a big success story, but now they’re saying ppl might have to get a new vaccine there every 6 months to stay safe. not sure what that might do to one’s immune system in the long run either…

2 Likes

or you know, when the majority of a population is vaccinated, it would obviously mean i appears like being vaccinated increases it
UK did the "we want to vaccinate as many as possible - and not care about 2nd dose"policy
“make your bed now lie in it” or so was my point, dumbass politicians opted for quantity over quality because of pol points

and the not covering other/all strains was kinda always on the table, same reason you have to get a new flu shoot every year, if not twice :man_shrugging:

we partially have the same issue here, not only are our “social distancing” rules stupidly lax af, but people getting first dose think themselves completely immune, + on top of that government are (still) mixing vaccinated with unvaccinated people in certain areas (ex healthcare)

basically no one, anywhere, is being remotely serious about this/Covid treatment. because the actual measures required for it are unpopular, and politics is nothing but a high school popularity contest :face_vomiting:

2 Likes
6 Likes

The number of idiots who still didn’t cover their noses with the mask even when a beating is a potential result astonishes me. That it happens at all confounds me and this is why mask requirements don’t work, people are just simply too stupid to use them.

Also note that almost everyone in this video have them just jammed into a pocket and show no proper care in putting them on. If any of those masks had caught any viral particles all they have succeeded in doing is contaminate their faces, hands and jacket pockets with them for later infection and spread.

5 Likes

:point_up_2: I saw this before already. Silly prank with 2 actors :grimacing:

4 Likes

oh trust me, imo those actions there fall in the “way too kind” category (i know it’s a prank)
one of the reason i’m mean enough to call a swathing with a baton way too kind, is as Fraggles points out; notice how the feckers already have the mask on them, just not on their face…

we’ve grown way too complacent, lazy and entitled…
so if there was actual any sincere desire to sorta “beat” corona (spoiler there isn’t);
then we’d need dystopian levels of recourse, where people basically got instantly executed in the street, for setting a foot outdoors, when they had no essential need to, or if doing so without wearing full hazmat gear

mask mandates are completely a joke, and social distancing “rules” are barely serious enough to even reach meme territory, and likewise from before the vaccines were even in hand, they were given equally insincere and sloppy focus :triumph:

all our actions are totally absurd, when corona at the same time is repeatedly drummed up as something “serious”…

3 Likes

be expected they wouldn’t get infected ever again

I know it’s cuz of the whole different strains thing and all that, but it does beg the question what the frikkin point is then in the first place, especially if new strains can just keep popping up without end, and especially given it could also possibly lead to strains just becoming stronger and stronger too, which in turn might also make it deadlier then

1 Like

That is unlikely, the trend of a virus is to generally become less deadly and harmful over time. Because a living host will be able to spread it further and for longer where as a dead host wont, so as a virus adapts to live in a new host species it’s lethality tends towards going down.

4 Likes

I guess that’s different from bacteria then, which can grow stronger, eventually rendering antibiotics useless, resulting in the need for stronger antibiotics. Could be, wouldn’t know.

3 Likes

Antibiotic resistance isn’t really the bacteria getting more deadly it’s just them developing resistances to our medication. The reason they’re so dangerous is because they always were and the only reason we’ve considered them so harmless the last 100 years is because we found an easy useful tool to fight them with. We’re basically just getting disarmed here rather than the bacteria themselves “growing stronger”.

6 Likes

not when a treatment requires 2 doses to become effective, and you only get 1
or you only have half the treatment and act like you’re immune and do sht you shouldn’t, like quitting social distancing, not wearing masks, or immediately run naked out into the general populace

there is a weird sentiment that a/any vaccine makes you impervious to a given disease, that’s not how vaccines work, not even all the shots we get as children provide XYZ “immortality” for us for life… (and that’s before different strains get in the picture)

3 Likes

these ppl (the 60% to 70%) are those that did get the 2 doses though. it literally says so

4 Likes

ye that’s probably bull, considering you have a fraction that’s received 2 doses in the UK compared to 1 (and big chance vast majority, if not all, of those getting 2 shots got it way after the designated treatment window - heck i’m willing to bet on that)
so i would definitely attribute that to the title of the article “Why the models warning of a third UK Covid wave are flawed”

3 Likes

Here in the US we encourage everyone to get the flu vaccine each year, and it does not prevent flu completely, it usually both reduces someone’s risk of getting the flu and also reduces their risks of serious outcomes if they do get it.

I imagine it’s the same with the COVID vaccines, even if you get fully vaccinated, you still have a chance of getting the virus and the illness. Hopefully it’s less severe overall so that people are not actively dying.

With any vaccine, there’s always a chance that your body will not react to it properly and not develop the proper antibodies, in that case, you will not develop the required immunity even if you come into contact with the virus. It’s for these people, and those who cannot get vaccinated for one reason or another, that’s why we try to achieve herd immunity for the more serious illnesses, like measles, polio, etc.

Plus with the COVID vaccines, it’s really difficult to know how long the protection will last, which is why currently in the US, the travel guidelines say that people are considered safe after 2 full weeks have passed after their 2nd vaccine dose and within 90 days of the vaccine dose. Some prospective antibody testing studies seem to show people retaining good antibody counts after 6 months. Once again, who knows how long it will last. And with viral strains changing, I am hoping we will get some protection with these newer strains, even if it doesn’t offer full protection against, to at least help with reducing the severity of the illness.

Nevertheless, even people doing and following all precautions, even after vaccination, there’s always a risk/chance of getting the illness and getting a serious complication. So it’s still advised to follow full precautions even after vaccination. After all, an N-95 mask is not 100% effective either, thus the 95 label…

5 Likes

would be real handy with 60 years of experience/trial and data for Covidvacc like the MMR vaccine right about now :joy:

3 Likes

There was also an israeli study that indicated those who got infected after one dose of the pfizer vaccine had a viral load 4 times less than normal, meaning they are less infectious.

3 Likes

I’ve now played this practical joke on my body, for a second time. I bet it wont see it coming this time either and over react in a hilarious fashion, and this time I wont know whether I’m sweating like a pig because I’m having a fever or because it’s nearing 27C indoors.

But at least in 2 weeks now I will only stand a 10% risk of immediate death upon every human encounter. Considering my luck I probably wont even get to person #10 before the d10 falls on a 1. (no, I know this is not how any of this works)

Got to witness someone have a severe adverse reaction to the vaccine though, full on collapsing on floor with ambulance and paramedics swarming around them. That was supposed to be really rare so I’m not sure if that counts as lucky or the opposite, the latter for them for certain. I do hope they’ll be alright, seemed lucid when they got rolled out of there at least.

What kind of bothered me though was that AFTER this event they started putting up hastily photocopied “Photography forbidden” -signs all over the place. Now it’s a health care facility so of course people shouldn’t be photographing things in the first place, this being one of the few places left where the expectation of privacy still exists. I saw no one trying to take photos of the person who collapsed though so their reaction to this event seemed to be “oh shit, better make sure no one documents things going wrong!”

Trust isn’t a very plentiful commodity these days and things like this just doesn’t help.

3 Likes

I got first dose of vaccine today felt like a small prick ahah a little numbness but its pretty alright

3 Likes
4 Likes

We have a case in BC too.

On my birthday I talked to my brother in Florida. They have been vacced(both shots) But are just staying away from people and wearing masks when needed. He said it’s really bad there.

I can’t stress enough. Get your shots and wear your masks. If not for yourself, but for your friends and loved ones, PLEASE :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes