Chrono Rally League 🏁

I dont feel like i have any really competitive times to offer in 2.0 since i mostly played career mode and historic championships and with only very limited amount of restarts you get and having to spend your credits to repair car i rarely went all in crazy and just focused on finishing in one piece and in a decent amount of time.

Anyway , if 2.0 works in the same way as first one you should be able to see my times for each track/car group unless they only registered them while you drive in time trial mode which i havent at all in 2.0 .

If you feel like it we can pick a track and a group and do a little ‘competition’ in it.

3 Likes

I don’t remember if career mode times appear in the time trial lists or not, I think they do. In time trial mode I already have quite a lot of decent times set on a wide variety of tracks and vehicle groups, most of which I probably can’t beat myself right now.

If you want to go up against some of my best times you could look around in Poland with the Group A or “Up to 2000cc (4WD)” cars, but also H1 if you want to take it slow. I have a few decent times in Spain as well for the aforementioned classes.

If you want to test my current skill level then the best time I’ve set recently and which is also the registered personal best, I ran Ruschberg in germany with the Lancia integrale (group A) earlier today and got a reasonable time.

But I’m up for pretty much anything if you have a favourite track or car in mind.

2 Likes

I will give your times a look and maybe a try during the weekend and maybe post something myself for you to go at.

3 Likes

@Fraggles

Well since Dirt Rally 2.0 servers are completely borked at this moment there’s no way of checking each others times so maybe you are already 10seconds faster in this track and group but i have no way of knowing it outside just randomly stabbing in the dark.

You mentioned group A and Poland so i took few attempts there.

3 Likes

Pretty good actually

Here’s my clean run. before that I crashed out a couple times and got a penalty for romping through the flowers.

4 Likes

Servers are back up , at least for now.

Anyway, another jab , this time in Germany and in R5 group.

That said, best time for that track is almost 14 seconds better than mine and i honestly cant imagine where or how 14 more seconds could be gained in that track. I drove mostly flat out whole time and didint have any bumps so… magic.

3 Likes

I am definitely not faster than you, on any of these tracks. Though I did manage to beat your previous previous best on Czarny Las this morning.

As for R5 in Germany, those cars are so insanely fast the primary points you’re going to lose time is where you need to slow down. I’ve seen people run those square turns in Germany at blindingly fast speeds controlling slide and turning in manners I couldn’t even imagine how to do.My guess is that those squares are where you’re losing most of your time… without having seen anything from your driving that is.

Made a few recordings from my attempt at this course, starting with the first scouting run, the 2nd run where I try to push a bit recklessly to see where I break and then a few serious attempts with decent times. If anyone is actually interested in watching any of that.

2 Likes

Sure am.

1 Like

Had a stint at Las Czarna in the Lancia today and managed a pretty good time, even if the actual driving ended up pretty bad. So many mistakes actually going off course and messing up and still some how manage to take 5s off previous results.

Just look at how messy this run is.

And as I offered earlier here’s the very first scouting run where I take it slow and figure out the road, which parts seems tricky, what hazards are there to keep in mind and such. If you’re playing along at home, find 5 dangerous sections and list them below!

The 2nd run, still not going very fast but testing a couple of sections out to see if my concerns about them were true or not, still taking it slow at some points as they’re potentially race ending should I crash. I forgot to record it as I ran it and grabbed the chase cam recording from replay instead, which is also useful for studying how the car moves across the track as you drive.

Finally I do not know why youtube started failing in quality for my videos, but things got really muddy some time ago and I can not figure out a way to counteract it. Most of my earlier videos came out acceptable. I’ve tried increasing recorded bitrate with files now at twice the size they used to be and it has not impacted the uploaded quality at all. I used to record with OBS at 2500 (standard) bitrate NVENC and it was fine, then I bumped that bitrate up to 10k, now I’m doing VBR at 50-100k, 1920@60 no scaling neither up nor down. The local files look pretty much perfect but then turns to shit on youtube’s side.

Does anyone here upload stuff to youtube regularly, or know someone who does, and have some advice to share on the matter?

3 Likes

I feel like you can easily beat my time in that Lancia with some more practice . Even though my overall run was cleaner looking in Subaru , Subaru is more sluggish. You did mess up quite few times and still managed only roughly 3 seconds slower time than mine so avoiding those mistakes could put you somewhere at 03:06:somethingsomething i feel. And then i would need to get behind wheel and do something about it , lol.

I think @MattnessLP does some youtube so maybe he can give his insights on your quality issues.

3 Likes

You need to additionally render videos before uploading to avoid Youtube butchering them. Usually every video editing software will help, but with a quick search I found this one (using Windows Movie Maker):

Haven’t had the time to try it out yet, but I remember that TotalBiscuit was complaining about this stuff 5-6 years back.

More bitrate should help with smoothing out the things going on the screen faster :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well we ran a few tests, according to that video just using 1440p video was supposed to force the better codec and while it didn’t look like it at first once youtube fully processed the video it switched from avc1 to vp09.

I didn’t like the thought of having to run the video through movie maker because that’s way too much time and effort spent on this I wanted to see if I just had OBS upscale the video right off the bat and make it a 1440p even though I only play in 1080 and it seems to have worked.

1080p video uploaded to youtube processed with avc1

1440p video processed with vp09

Put both images up in full screen and alt tab between them and you’ll see the differences clearly.

And the short clip I experimented with if you want to see the full effect.

It’s still not great, but it’s way better.

3 Likes

If you guys dare :

On a more serious note, Audi Quattro is probably single most terrifying rally car ever made, even in a video game. Ridiculously hard to control but a pure joy to race through these Autumn touched forests. Sense of speed in this thing is insane.

3 Likes

fun fact. Tolt Valley is on the west coast of the US. Not the Northeast as it claims.

1 Like

Yeah the Audi Quattro is one of the cars in this game I have not managed to tame very well yet myself. I gave it a few good attempts and finally got it across the finish line mostly intact.

I’ve been working on getting the hang of the Lancia Stratos recently the other really scary car this game has to offer. I set a decent time in the Ford Sierra Cosworth on Fuller mountain descent earlier this week, a very pleasant to drive RWD car and has since been struggling to beat my own time in the Stratos.

But I finally did today! Though apparently forgot to take a SS of it.

On Tuesday, GMT noon I believe, the new monthly and weekly challenges in the game rolls over. Would you guys like to pick up one or two of those that seem interesting and have a go at them together?

2 Likes

I remember why i hate these cars again.

2 Likes

I always edit my videos using Premiere Pro, and on the output side, the renderer has some neat presets for Youtube (which I’m sure other contemporary video editing programs must have as well). I usually choose one of those (720p before my hardware upgrade, now 1080p), and never had issues.
The codec is h.264, which is the same YouTube itself uses in its player, so by uploading a video file like that prevents any fuckups from YouTube’s side, trying to convert the uploaded file for their needs.
At least that’s what I’m guessing, I could be entirely wrong. All I know is that I’ve always done it like that and my videos always played exactly as expected (i.e. mildly entertaining and sometimes cringe).

2 Likes

Sure :slight_smile: I havent had a chance to check them out yet so if you dont mind picking one or two we could go at them.

Okey , i will need to get back to this and take back my top spot , lol .

1 Like

These are the weeklies I thought looked good this time around.

Group A and Subaru 2001 are fast but fun cars while the H2 RWD are slower but a little tricky if you’re used to FWD and 4WD cars but they’re also a lot of fun once you have a handle on them and a weekly stint is a great opportunity to do so.
The monthly offers were a bit weak unfortunately. One monthly for R2 which are kind of boring cars to be honest. One Monthly for R5s which are very fast and the most modern cars, this can be fun too. I think there was one for Group B as well which I am probably not going to torture myself with.

Also improved my time with the Lancia Stratos on Fuller Mountain.

See if you can beat that one, in the Stratos. I’m sure you can do it in any other car. This is also far from a clean run.

3 Likes

Here’s my time for Fuller.

I think i will start with one in Scotland and Up to 2000cc group since it’s only 6 stages so shouldnt take too long.

3 Likes