Chrono Community Giveaway X: Oops I Puzzled Again - CLOSED! Solutions Revealed, Winners notified.

OOPs!..I am in a hurry…and in the wrong place…LOL

4 Likes

My story about Puzzle 5, my favourite, and how I went about it. First off I started by thinking composer D was going to be the password that would “decrypt” the page so I didn’t even think of it as a hint, at all. Expecting there to be some sort of decryption script going on I decided to have a peek behind the curtains. Here I found that @petemcc had not managed to hide much and quickly located the script called by the button which accepted 2 different passwords “mgodprrm” and “mgodprrmo” now I’m rather confused as I’m now looking for a composer with a 8 or 9 letter name starting with D. No… no that’s not working out. Well lets put that password in and see what happens. “A winner is you Frg <cb!” ah well damn it. Seems Pete had some foresight after all. Turns out I’ll have to solve the puzzle anyway then.

So back to the previous page. Ok so it isn’t a decryption script clearly that means I’m meant to decrypt this myself. Jumble of letters well it’s probably a letter substitution cipher then. Lets see what do we have to work with. “L.y.-o API 2v0 Lapy 5S” That should PROBABLY say “Pete’s ARG 2.0: Part 5” that gives me L = P, . = e and so on. Comparing the letters I have thus far does not reveal a simple shift nor any obvious formulaic substitution. Weird, well lets keep going, what else do we have? Button probably says “Submit” and the error that shows up probably says “incorrect” well that gives me enough to start hacking at the actual riddle. “I ca? ?e as sma?? as a ?utto? or as ? ig as a ?ie???” Well huh? Guessing at the missing letters and confirming a legible sentence gets me “I can be as small as a button or as big as a house?” cool that works and gives me a whole host of new letters to work with. Then I just continued doing this until I had the whole riddle. Mushroom of course! Wait that’s not a composer? Well huh, I have the password anyway and I can now decode the end message along with the PM code so I guess the composer wasn’t important.

Hey pete what was that composer thing all about? Oh… aah, it’s a qwerty key configuration over a dvorak keyboard? Well that would have made the whole thing go a lot faster.

But I think my way was more fun. After this Pete decided to change the code a little, not letting the password sit around in plaintext to start and added a couple of hints as well but again I completely blanked on the dvorak hint.

6 Likes

I DID THE EXACT SAME THING ON EVERYTHING.

except for the fact that I always knew it was Dvorak, just never knew there was a keyboard, my dad walked by my room and saw me in despair, read the thing, sighed and went “have you ever heard of a Dvorak keyboard?” and I screamed like Regina Georgen in Mean Girls.

Hug me, @Fraggles. We’re idiots.

7 Likes

Someone also said the same thing about the code around the same time as you and the hints in the source code were always there, you probably just missed them the first time.

5 Likes

All winners have been notified, and thus officially ends ARG 2.0. But again still feel free to let me know what you thought of the puzzles, give me feedback (positive or negative i don’t mind) or ask me questions.

6 Likes

A tiiiiiiny observation: It actually reads “all the best buddy” at the end, Pete.

Also I am infinitely glad you didn’t go with that first incarnation of Puzzle 3. Had I seen that I would have just straight away given up. Also thanks for explaning the Mad Magazine thing, I ended up not needing to look it up and forgot about that bit of your puzzle.

About that last puzzle

No way in hell’s gate would I ever think about doing this. Anyone saw this?

Goddammit, Pete. That’s all.

6 Likes

Fixed

About that puzzle

I don’t think so no, just like the last puzzle of the first ARG with the Magic Eyes? text in the far left, I think it slipped by everyone.

BLASPHEMY!

6 Likes

Thanks for the puzzles Pete…as I said before I think you’re a master of these, and it was a very enjoyable test of puzzle power (I solved these all the proper way though…no shenanigans).

Perhaps one of these days I’ll actually win something… :smile:

(Maybe I’d have liked a little more direction in the second puzzle though…eye fail and all that…)

6 Likes

I went about the same way, except I used this website that I found a bit ago for this kind of substitution puzzles.

Could that perhaps be me? I did saw the hints in the code, I just didn’t mind them since it was easier the other way, that and you call me monkey :triumph:

You already have my opinion on the last puzzle, but my favorite was number 4, especially because of the way you set that up from the previous puzzle.

5 Likes

It doesn’t…the second sentence starts with an I…

3 Likes

That is a comma not a full stop

3 Likes

wait people actually did the 4th one? like legit? how it was meant to be done?

1 Like

Maybe, I think it was, can’t remember

1 Like

Puzzle solutions are at the bottom of the original post

3 Likes

yes i read that, that is why im so … angry?
i just cant believe people figured it out

1 Like

Well he did a callback puzzle last time as well so when I saw this big apparently pointless maze image on puzzle 2 I saved that away. So while I at first looked at the “wordscramble” and tried to spot any words it wasn’t too long until the mention of a maze brought puzzle 2 back to mind, then it was just a matter of overlaying the letters on the maze, rendering all the useless parts transparent and using a soft “spray brush” marked out the words along the maze path.

My resulting image

6 Likes

Well, believe it or not, but i solved it without the actual map, rofl, just by working it out piece by piece, over many many hours; the initial breakthrough came by finding the word puzzle in there, but i still kept looking for maps for many hours afterwards

and that’s after i kept trying all the minotaur labyrinth maps i could find in google images for hours and hours too

7 Likes

giphyshock

Neeeevermind. Pack it up, @Fraggles, we’re fine.

5 Likes

am I the only one surprised there are mushrooms as big as fields? or are we talking mushroom shaped explosions?

5 Likes

Field mushrooms are a type of mushroom, same as button

5 Likes