2018 is here! Which game did you start your year with?

giphy (14)

3 Likes

Just thought I’d check since we all add stuff to our wishlists with great ease and then forget. On the Grav page you’re the only one of my friends group who has it marked as “Wanted” so if you’d still like it then I’ll send my key your way.

4 Likes

Fittingly enough, Year Walk was both the last game I played in 2017 and the first one I played in 2018 (although technically I guess I didn’t play it since I just watched and offered hints while my friend played it, since I had already finished it some time ago).

Apart from Year Walk I’ve played a bit of iO and Tribal Pass, both purchased from the coin shop here at Chrono :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

@nassi It seems like you took Year Walking to the next level, my friend!

I absolutely love that game. I hope you and your friend enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

4 Likes

I believe Caves of Qud was the first game I played in the new year. absolutely loving it

4 Likes

The first game I played this year would be Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. My second would be Tale of Two Wastelands mod that merges Fallout: NV and Fallout 3 into one game.

4 Likes

I had to beat Fallout 4 on my PS4 finally. Then get Platinum. Only took about 46 hours. Had to go back to an earlier save only once due to game-breaking bug with Vault 81. Sad because I had 19 of the 20 bobbleheads and couldn’t get the last one. Previous save only had 8…so that was a time-suck. Of course, I knew where they all were by then, so it was much faster. Great game, btw. Now it’s on to mastering Rocket League. Shouldn’t take too long, right?

Just 44 days with no sleep…

6 Likes

i ended up with a spur of the moment purchase(because of so many recent “reminders” of it here) and got and played Witcher 3
and i must say, while it’s a great game, i’m having a dang frustrating time with it because of a couple design choices i disagree with
“omg i love you do death → omg i wanna kill you so bad right now”-relationship :smile:

4 Likes

Trying to finish up Legendary Mahjong. Started it when I had troubles with eyes. So many levels. So many modes. The first 2 modes I got perfect 3 stars…The sliding one is hard. I keep dumping the tiles in a hole so they can’t be match. Grumble…Scream…I know there has to be a way.

BTW I am playing the game on my PC…Not Steam.

3 Likes

Started playing (Sort of) the early Christmas gift of Holiday Hitman. After 4 or 6 hour download- this Ultra-modern game wouldn’t run on my old machine (I figured). I was able to stall for 10 or 15 mins. Glad I did as now running MasterIdy, I got cards for Hitman…Friends of mine got No cards yet- they got +1 I think even though not Installed like I did…Holiday Gift of Hitman is over but if yu did it already now is cards…Outcast is a great game Playing it from s sale…Is the Second "Outcast good???

3 Likes

What a coincidence! I also got mad at a few things TW3 pulled on me… mind sharing your personal frustrations?

That aside, I think you’re starting the year well! Wind’s howling:butterfly:

1 Like

Alright, let the nitpicking commence!

First there is the FOV; normally in games this doesn’t bother me much, but in Witcher 3 it’s utterly horrendous, combined with a severe lack of “zoom out” option to exacerbate it too (and sadly mods didn’t help me)
-which i think is appalling and perhaps straight up too lazy

Combat:
too inconsistent,
some low lvls apparently shred like high lvl/skull monsters at random times.
Combat mechanics doesn’t behave uniform enough, parryable attacks doesn’t get parried, parry range/detection feels straight up RNG at times,
speed of enemy attacks, dmg on fast vs high attacks (i swear i’ve suddenly been hit with 3x the damage from a monsters rapid attack than it’s high attack, non-crit),
same with hitbox detection, fck me is it terrible(ofc even more noticeable with the crossbow) -guy standing x “miles” away somehow still strikes your in melee and/or through a parry -timed or “constant”
no feedback or sense of clue to some status effects, “alright now you “stun” me -despite not the past 10mins of fighting(or is it a stun since i’m just assuming as i can’t move but no indicators), oh, am i bleeding or wtf is dmging me since i have no icon this time”

targeting+camera
sadly this feels like the worst combat targeting i’ve encountered, somehow worse than Assassin’s creed or whatever title i’m thinking of but can’t remember,
due to FOV and bs zoom and loss of camera control too, if you use lock to help out, you’ll get hit off screen because you can’t see shit or move properly. (or makes “you” dizzy/headache)
if you don’t use lock it will just randomly target whatever it wants, even tho you are facing an enemy, having camera pointed at an enemy: it can/will still sometimes chose a target “off-screen” (this is super annoying when wanting to use quick toss for a bomb in the center of a pack -but decides to suddenly pick the 1 hostile away to the side you can’t even see), or just switch to an enemy you didn’t intend.
combined with the combat flow means just dodging 90% of fights until certain the moment is finally opportune enough to “test the waters”
and why dodging* well because stamina was tied to life saving magics, making rolls or run not an option, and parry is too unreliable = 90% time spent “dancing” (seriously looks silly lol)

so i have some iffy and inconsistent combat, add to that an abysmal healing type
takes me 10mins to get healed (exaggeration for effect). but seriously 50hps, and even with swallow (which is fcn mandatory) it’s still ridiculous, and can’t exactly use much other concoctions due to fights dragging on requiring more than 1 swallow use = toxic death if trying to use stuff like echidna that might be heal helpful, but still appalling, making the whole heal system terrible
(before even mentioning the utter time waste having to farm food (even with exploiting sheeps) because of fcn 50hps for 5secs!!!)
to put it into context, low lvl monsters do 250dmg per fast swing np, heal/food doesn’t stack, meaning 1 hit = 5sec standby per hit without swallow. 90hps with swallow meaning you “only” get 3secs wasted time per hit you receive… all good if you didn’t receive more than 1/few hits in a fight, -or didn’t have thousands upon thousands health pool to heal up…
which then forces you to meditate(not for heals tho), not just to replenish you inventory stock (because fck actually using items gathered, they are basically just vendor fodder beyond a certain point) and to remove the toxicity (could use white honey, but would just have to meditate to restock it anyway, so what’s the point other than combat detoxify emergencies)

and the worst of all, the lvling/questing
there is 0! incentive to wander about
not because you will randomly stroll into skull monsters that will 1shot you, or because regular monsters combat behaves iffy -this is fine enough
no, but because of bs lvl’d loot!!(awesome to kill high lvl monsters and be “rewarded” with bs useless low lvl items), and almost non existent xp reward for doing anything but main quests
1k xp to lvl, and you get 4 xp if you are lucky for killing monsters(can i just note how hilarious it is with “xp kill bonus”-stats when kill xp are so low the bonus stats becomes worthless), even if they are higher than you (with the combat+heal making it an utter time waster to do)
mostly 0 xp for doing objectives, clearing stuff etc, and pathetic low xp for the majority of side missions i’ve done so far
meaning your best bet for any progress is just to beeline through the main quests(because anything else wastes time completely), and not wander off or explore -you know like what an open world rpg really entices you to…

god and the “duration” bs that infest the game… everything is on a fcn timer, durability, enhancements, oils etc etc etc etc
(can i just get 1 game where shit doen’t need repairing every 2 fights -or enhancement/sharpen+oils/“buffs” to be actually usefull??, or at least make it auto reapply when in fcn stock, or gd damn fast hotkeyable so the game isn’t 50% “menu browsing”)
dumbass fast travel system…
lack of hotkeys with m&kb from controller design

oh and i didn’t like the eyes/hair on a random npc…
:joy:

i think that was most of it, i probably forgot some in the blind cloud of rage :wink:

now ask me if i like the game?

I Love It! -but i hate it :rofl:
i love to hate it? i hate that i love it? :thinking:

the fact i haven’t quit the game despite all those frustrations is a testament to how awesome the game is i think, it’s really really good, -but dang does it annoy me too :smile:

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of griping you got there.
Don’t want to just come here and say “git gud” or anything but I can not say I recognise any of your issues with the combat. I love the combat system in both Witcher 2 and 3, the slow methodical dance of death, keep moving to find the opening to strike. Maybe I can agree that the accuracy of archers is a little strange, though they will miss you if you’re moving and they will also hit friendlies standing in front of you. I’ve never felt the parry to be unreliable, there’s even a visual cue as their name plates glow red when they attack, that’s when to hit the block. You don’t want to be parrying against monsters though, it works against some but you’re usually better off side stepping and stabbing them in the back. Back damage is greatly increased and maybe that’s why you’re finding some attacks hurt you surprisingly much as that applies to you as well, keep your back clear.

The FOV I could agree with, would not have minded it a bit wider but it’s something I got used to and it doesn’t bother me any more. The exploration in this game I find extremely rewarding and probably the thing I enjoy the most. Not because there’s worthwhile loot to find but because there’s amusing little stories to find. Both in forms of random letters and as environmental clues, I cherish the times I come across a ruined tower or little collection of houses and wonder what happened there. Once you’ve gotten some your witcher gear any other loot is largely pointless.

I do think the weakest part of the Witcher series is the adherence to classic RPG mechanics and systems. I think there could be a way to make the game without levels and Xp entirely, I’ve thought about that topic at length before but I don’t want to get into it right now. I think it’d suit the character better as well, thing about the witcher is that you’re not playing any random adventurer of your own making. You’re playing Geralt, an established character with particular abilities and skills already.

Keeping your gear in good order is bit of a bother and mostly just busy work, I agree, but it’s “realistic” too. I’d imagine as a wandering warrior caring for your weapons and armour would likely be a large part of your daily routine.

I almost never use the fast travel system, I enjoy riding and finding my way manually way too much. Even now as I’m on my 255th hour of playing this title I still ride wherever I’m heading.

2 Likes

i agree about the exploration being rewarding in that sense, in fact lore and interactions etc is one of the game’s major strength, and having “stuff” connect & intertwine too
but, for an rpg, you “should” get more than just lore+theme and interesting tidbits for venturing off the beaten path
I don’t think it’s okay you can spend 8-15hours clearing an entire map, and not just basically be getting nothing, because 0 xp (thoroughly wasting your time), but worse, “poor” loot, but potentially injury to hurt -by looting prematurely with auto lvl’d based loot

not talking archers, but melee dudes, i’ve literally been stabbed and hit by melees “out of range” if going by unit position with camera angled to see, yet still striking me because “hitbox” suddenly 2 meters wider… in more than just a few occasions, (seems to work the other way around too tho ofc)
and i get the parrying against monsters is bad, but when it doesn’t consistently work against melees either, cues or not, it becomes “annoying” to deal with,
and i love the dance of death in witcher, there is just too much of it because of how the combat forms (or glitches for me), i want Geralt to dance, don’t get me wrong(his fights look smashing), i prefer that over bs Dark souls rolls and its coward combat, -but i don’t want to be doing it 90% of the fights to be safe, just because monsters dmg scale is inconsistent(you can see the dmg values) or hitbox detection out of place or attack speed/animations getting ridic to counter suddenly, in a (unbuffed) spazz -combined with the pathetic regen/heal
(i got 3shot in an instant by a lvl 4 drowner ffs when i was 9 lol and was like wtf just happened)
but the camera really bugs me because i can’t use lock(it’s way too painful), and the free cam combat just too often screws me over switching to an offscreen target when i want to toss a close bomb :joy:

too much busy work imo, and the amount becomes unrealistic, resharpen a sword, maybe, but you don’t reforge entire sets of armor and weapons after a couple of fights… :wink: fault of many a game imo, durability is fine, but i really really don’t want to “notice” it much

i love the riding, and so glad there is mounted combat, (holy shit is riding through the tall fields and sunflowers epic!)
but, i think it’s because they put in a fast travel system that i “want” to use it, and then i notice how annoying it is, being forced to first ride to a signpost before being able to fast travel to another signpost, just seems like an unnecessary time waster. QoL is all. Just like less “menu walking” would have been.
overall a tad bit “too much” busy work/time wasting stuff where some QoL could have been appreciated to get more time with the meat of the game -which is great and highly enjoyable

2 Likes

Yeah I can not say I’ve felt the problems you seem to have with hit boxes/detection at all, I would say at most I’ve had myself make jumps that are just a little too large and too fast in order to get in range to strike an enemy I wouldn’t have thought would be in range. Yes even lower level enemies are still a threat, that’s by design I believe, they’re easier to kill but they’re can still drag an unwary Witcher into the depths.

I don’t use any lock on at all myself, I prefer to have full control over the camera myself which I find works perfectly with kb+m.

Now I’m curious about what it is you’re experiencing, don’t suppose you stream do you? : )

1 Like

i have the scaling option off, and even with, when a lvl indicator of 4, i find it odd that a random casual drowner struck me for more dmg -all of a sudden, than higher monsters 3-4x it’s lvl :smile:

nope never has :blush:

strange i have found mods that fix the fov when i first played the game i will see if i can find them again.

i tried 2, gonna try a newer i found too

1 Like

I had never played a Witcher game until Witcher 3, and I fell in love with it. I agree with your assessment of the relationship thing, but I was told by many fans of the series that there were reasons it was written that way. Didn’t matter. I picked the hot redhead.

3 Likes