Worst popular game?

Ok, let’s get this out of the way, I am really wondering what community has the least faith in their own game.
I am talking about games that are still seeing great play recently, games that people kinda like.
I am having a strong focus on games that are not obvious, I want a fresh opinion.
(since we all know that stuff like No Man’s Sky was objectively bad)

Why am I asking this? Mostly so I won’t waste my precious gaming time.

8 Likes

That’s an interesting topic, I’d have to give it some thought.
I do not play an awful lot of new games, preferring to wait 2-3 years and buy things at a deep discount or in bundles. So if by popular you mean new then I’m not sure I have a lot of good consumer advise to give, other than wait 2-3 years and buy things at a deep discount. :smile:

8 Likes

The No Man’s Sky sting wasn’t necessary, it has its merits and a rather large modding community despite its [very, VERY many] flaws.

That said, I’d say Metal Gear Solid V takes the top of the list for me. I hated every moment of playing it; the story was a pretentious trainwreck (even worse than Peace Walker somehow), the controls managed to feel both extremely clunky AND oversimplified (much like Resident Evil 6), the stealth felt horribly inconsistent, and basically every moment of playing it was a living hell BEFORE they started repeating missions to “finish” the rest of the game.

After that, probably a tie between Skyrim and Fallout 4. I have a bit of trouble calling them “worst” as they are quite good, ESPECIALLY Skyrim, but between the countless save corruption bugs that remain unfixed after six years (and a remaster), a rather bland world compared to New Vegas and Oblivion, and quite a few other Bethesda-snags along the way, all of Bethesda’s games after Oblivion feel like Death by a Thousand Cuts because it’s the little things that slowly destroy it. That said, they are quite good if you can manage to look past the problems I ran into, and I actually did enjoy Skyrim despite this for a good nine hours before my save file just went “nope.” If I didn’t put hundreds of hours, into Oblivion on Xbox 360, I’d probably love them… but I did, so I don’t.

Mass Effect 2 also deserves a mention for how much people love it. It took me years to actually “get into” Mass Effect 1, I’ve had it since the Xb360 and could never get past the jankwall, most recently giving up on the PC version at the matriarch fight, in whatever that snow planet was. When I first got an Origin Access subscription, I told myself I’d finally do it… and loaded up my save, and after seven tries, finally powered through those sections. After clearing through that awful fight (and remembering that quicksave is F5 :rolling_eyes:) I finally got into it, the whole rest of the game was incredible. It’s a shame, because Mass Effect 2 took everything I liked about ME1 and soiled it. It took the combat system from 1, the janky and almost physics-based fun of Vanguard class, and gutted it for what felt like a low budget Gears of War spinoff. While I liked all of the characters in ME1, ME2’s new characters were either stuck-up @#%@^$%s (Miranda) or completely spineless (Jacob) and thoroughly unlikeable (exceptions: Solus and Zaeed were great!). I now have no interest in ME3/A and deleted Mass Effect entirely to play Crysis instead, all because of how ME2 completely ruined it for me in those crucial first ten hours.

2 Likes

Oooooh, you’re talking unpopular opinion dislike. Yeah I’ve got one of those; the original Legend of Zelda. Still gets played a lot and is frequently called one of the best NES games ever despite its garbageness. I can not believe that anyone says this game is good even though it’s so boring and frustrating and unpleasant. It’s a game with about an hour of content that, if played without a guide, could take you seven or eight hours to beat because of how cryptic it is. No, actually, cryptic isn’t the right word; that suggests that the game challenges you with a tough to decipher clue or a difficult to interpret map. In this game you get literally no help at all and the only way to beat it without aimlessly wandering for half a lifetime is to read a guide, which is such infuriatingly lazy design that I can’t believe that people are still fooled by nostalgia into calling this game not only passable, not only enjoyable, but downright inspiring. This game is objectively flawed to the point of barely being a game. How lame.

4 Likes

GTA V :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well, that’s because the game didn’t age well, but at the time it could’ve been very different.
But I have a similar opinion on System Shock. Often claimed to be among the most influential videogames and since I loved Bioshock I just had to give it a shot.
I stopped playing after 3 hours even with a guide, because it is basically unplayable nowadays. The screen is cluttered with a awful HUD and the level design is confusing. I hated every second of it, but that’s a case of the game not aging well.

2 Likes

LoZ and System Shock both definitely fall under that category, but personally I’d argue that X-COM and System Shock aged perfectly concept wise. It’s purely the old interface that needs cleaning up, and OpenXcom/SS1EE is enough to make the game fully playable today.

System Shock 2 is another story, unfortunately. The RPG elements in that along with Deus Ex just kill the game entirely for me, making tons of useless “clutter-stats” that make fighting artificially difficult in the midst of good design choices. I’ll chalk Morrowind up to age, but for those two it seems like a regression from SS1.

Also, on the topic of “shocking” hipster revelations, I forgot to mention Bioshock Infinite in my earlier textwall. It looks nice, but everything awesome about Bioshock is gone. The story feels like a midpoint between rehashing the “Bioshock skeleton” and Kojima-style pretentious dialogue spam. It also lost all of the awesome level design for what’s essentially an open-air corridor shooter. Just play the remasters of 1 and 2.

1 Like

Any and every MMORPG ever.

8 Likes

Fully agree @markdarkness what is the point grinning up and slashing stupid mobs :crossed_swords:

5 Likes

Wait, no mans sky has a modding community? Ill have to take a look. I liked MGSV although that may be because i havent played any other metal gear.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking about MGSV as well. You see, after learning that MGSV was coming to PC, I immediately decided that I needed to play the old ones. I was already planning on buying the HD collection for Xbox 360 (which unfortunately doesn’t include 1, a PSOne/PC game that was never ported, or 4, a PS3 exclusive), but I rushed out to get it when learning that the PC version was coming up.

I hated the first hour or two of MGS2, but after getting used to the weird controls it was an awesome PS2-era game; janky stealth sectioned off into areas, and lots of gimmicks that let you kind of play with the fact that it was still a PS2 game (avoiding detection by running out the door into the next area before the guard calls backup, for instance).

MGS3 was near perfect, and PW is still by far the worse game, but mostly because it was a port of a PSP game to begin with. MGSV was an awful time for me, but without some sequel I’m super hyped for, I didn’t feel pressured to play to the end like I did with PW… so I didn’t. I could only get as far as the point where it started repeating missions, and I just went “#@%^ it.”

1 Like

Necro’d.

I’m going with Demon Souls. Not because it’s difficult, but because the game does such a poor job of explaining really just anything to you. When I asked my friends how I was supposed to know any of this (builds, what it means when your character looks differently when you die, really just anything) they said I should go look at the Wiki. It just came off as incredibly bad game design.

I like the idea of it being difficult, but it was also just too dense for me to enjoy it as an entry to that genre of game. I’ve since played games like Nioh and The Surge and have enjoyed both of those though :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah Demon Souls is not really a great game, it was great because it was the first of it’s kind in the modern age. Since then they’ve greatly improved a lot of things and later titles are better in many ways, though not all and some new mistakes were made as well.

2 Likes

Zelda Breath of the Wild. People love it but honestly after I had spent a significant amount of time in the game and completed it I saw a lot of cut corners and I never had the same satisfaction Zelda games normally give me. I felt it was trying too much to be something like Skyrim, but even in that category it felt like it fell short… Like for one there was no sense of progress or rewards for quests, mostly just weapons that break, food which all does the same thing and is instantly used up, or money… I honestly hate that game the most. Unless you just really enjoy running in fields and climbing mountains, I don’t recommend it.

7 Likes

I don’t think I’m going to be able to finish that game for those reasons @MonotoneHeart. I’m not really getting the satisfaction out of it like the Zelda games I enjoy… (from Link to the Past to Windwaker and on). I just don’t think I wanted to admit it to myself and I also feel like I’m the weird one cuz it’s basically universally acclaimed. On the flipside, I enjoyed Mario Odyssey a lot.

3 Likes

AWww yea, a complain thread, I can do that, from best to worst:
Fallout 4 (still my fav on this list)
GTA V
PUBG
Payday 2 (Avoid)
ARK (every single video of this hurt my eyes and my mental state)
Blockland
Shadow Warrior and any remake

3 Likes

@anon74641759 In regards to ARK… I think people really like early access, poorly optimized, sandbox games. They all seem to get a lot of attention for some reason.

6 Likes

I swear you are right, ppl freaking enjoy falling through floors, having to reboot a lot, frame drops, low FPS, obviously missing content, bad balancing, save wipes, unpolished gameplay…

3 Likes

aren’t you extra happy now then that they’ve “released” PixARK?! :rofl:
you get both ARK + pixel/“voxel”/block style/“minecraft” + early access, it’s like the holy trifecta of all the greatest thing in games these days, all at the same time! :joy: (battle royal mode to be added later!?) :laughing: :smile:

5 Likes

throws up a little

7 Likes