3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

I haven’t done the research to say whether or not this is really justified, but I can say that their presentation is a bit dishonest. I had a laugh at their quote:

“Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. While devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash free experience,” explained Microsoft in today’s blog post."

Okay, so 99.8% down to 99.7%? Big whoop. They’re trying to scare people into ignoring the handwaving by using big, frightening numbers like 52% more crashes… but 52% more than 0.2% is still a pretty small number.

Again, I’m not claiming to know any real, secret details here. I’m just pointing out the poor description.

6 Likes

:rofl:

Only one of 7th Gen and no AMD CPus, huh? Well. We can all call bullshit on that Microsoft.

3 Likes

To quote some of the comments:

Unless I’m misinterpreting something, I believe that the only Ryzen Microsoft says isn’t compatible is the original Ryzen (Zen), not other generations (Zen+, Zen2, Zen3).

6th gen isn’t officially support, MS is just letting it happen right now to test “stability”.
The only reason that I can think of why the one Intel 7th gen chip is supported is because MS is still selling the Surface Studio 2 which has that chip

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Free upgrade or “we downloaded and installed it for you last night” upgrade?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Microsoft has announced that Windows 11 will be released on October 5th, 2021, to Windows 10 users with support devices.

Windows 11 is the first major version of Windows released since 2015, when Windows 10 was released.

Like its predecessor, Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for users running compatible hardware and running a recent version of Windows. For Windows 10 users with supported hardware, you will be able to update directly via Windows Update or the media creation tool.

However, Windows 7 users will need to perform a clean installation using a bootable USB drive and an ISO to upgrade to Windows 11.

Starting October 5th, Windows Update will begin offering Windows 11 as an optional update for Windows 10 users with newer, supported hardware.

“The free upgrade to Windows 11 starts on October 5 and will be phased and measured with a focus on quality. Following the tremendous learnings from Windows 10, we want to make sure we’re providing you with the best possible experience,” explained Microsoft in a blog post published today.

“That means new eligible devices will be offered the upgrade first.”

Based on machine learning intelligence models, Microsoft will continue rolling out Windows 11 to other Windows 10 devices based on “hardware eligibility, reliability metrics, age of device and other factors that impact the upgrade experience.”

Microsoft expects the rollout of the free Windows 11 update offer to be completed by mid-2022.

4 Likes

WHUT? MS would NEVER do that…Make something harder? Nah!

5 Likes
4 Likes