Will there ever be Coin Shop games worth spending coins on?

The most interesting thing about that gif is that it’s duct taped to the desk on top of three plastic 500ml takeaway containers.

13 Likes

Thanks! I actually saw that earlier. :smiley: I could justify buying it if I didn’t already have it via PS+. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah. I guess all of the “cheap, crap games” I’m referring to are the few I haven’t already accumulated elsewhere over the years. Sorry for not specifying.

1 Like

The only remotely new games I suggested are Tumbleseed and Dead Cells (both about two months old), and Everything (three months).

And as I mentioned, but apparently must reiterate, 10,000+ coins per game is fine. Myself, I wouldn’t mind setting a long term savings goal if it meant earning a game I didn’t already own and might’ve purchased on sale otherwise. Raise the coin ask, lower the amount of licenses/keys, barter a little if necessary–do whatever you have to do to secure such a partnership with such a publisher. Even continue posting the 2000 and 3000 coin games since those are preferable/affordable to some. Incentivize as many types of players to visit every day as possible, y’know? I believe the occasional bigger deals with bigger coin price tags would be a net positive for everyone, including if not especially Chrono, and its users. That’s all.

3 Likes

I think in time we will see bigger games with 10000+ asks but remember this system is still relatively new (4 months), they are still working out the best way to do things.

I only joined the site after the coins, I knew about it before that but checking a site everyday for a game I probably wouldn’t want just didn’t appeal to me. Even then I’m two weeks behind cause it took me that long to watch TB’s video. As the site gets bigger and more people buy the daily deals (I have bought two) they will have more opportunity to splash out.

In the mean time people can keep hoarding coins or decide it isn’t worth it. That whole vote with your wallet thing, if it ain’t doing it for you anymore, go somewhere better. Sure you might be disappointed but the rest of us are over people thinking they need to tell us the games we were super happy to get for free are crap, mobile-esk, shovel ware. Your kink is not my kink and that’s okay.

10 Likes

I’d argue most of those are pretty recent and fresh though. I myself only have one game released in 2017 in my library and that is Dear Esther: Landmark Edition, which I got for free for owning the base game :frowning:.

Having expensive games in the coin shop has it’s downsides as well, even more so if it limits the selection of more affordable games. Some of the following points might seem a bit forced, but I guess they can be used as a basis for further discussion:

• They might only be able to obtain such low volumes of keys that it becomes essentially a gamble whether or not you will get a key even if you have the coins. This could make people salty, especially if they specifically saved towards a higher priced game.
  • Highly desirable keys might also lead to more resellers and other abusers of said system.
  • If they compete with more affordable games: Even fewer people will have a chance to buy something than currently, as the combined amount of keys is lower.
  • It could undermine their actual shop.
  • It could scare off new users, as it would take them months of checking just to be able to afford a “good” game.
  • If they set a precedent, I feel like people are going to want them to follow up on it sooner rather than later. Anxiety could rise as the time between higher cost games would most likely be quite long.
9 Likes

I agree and don’t agree.

We’re asking for literally free games here. Crono doesn’t get much wiggle room in negotiations to get us keys. It’s far easier for them to secure these smaller games that just need more visibility than games like Dead Cells and Hyper Light Drifter (which is already insanely popular) where Crono is basically asking them to give away their games for no reason. We’re lucky to have gotten Surgeon Simulator and I Am Bread.

However, I haven’t felt the need to spend my coins for awhile now. Most of the games are these small little time wasters, which is fine, but not what I want to spend my coins on.

I believe Crono will get something for us. But at the same time, I’ve had a flash of doubt every time new games go up.

12 Likes

Games in the Shop should never be “better” than the majority of games that are Daily Sales.

High Coin priced games in the Shop will rarely, if ever, appear. There needs to be a balanced playing field and I assume most users outside of the forums aren’t hoarding Coins.

2 Likes

seems “direct” replies only “display” if there is an “obstacle” between reply and post replied to, if the reply comes right after, the system seems to take it “as a given” that the connection is there(or in peoples mind/reading),
at least that’s what i’ve gathered, since the reply displays if there was just 1 comment in between reply and post

6 Likes

i would argue that 2months is still brand new, (even more so during the summer drought)
hence why neither game have gotten any discount beyond what could be considered the usual “pre-purchase/launch offer” savings, even during steam summer sale[quote=“nintendude794, post:24, topic:5221”]
And as I mentioned, but apparently must reiterate, 10,000+ coins per game is fine
[/quote]
10-20-50k coin “price tags” wouldn’t even matter for some of those games, to ask for them for free is either straight up delusion or greed, not to mention the “harm” it could bring to both the game, devs, and shop

once more i shall point to some reasons set out by @nassi (nassi sure does seem to always have some of the answers huh?) https://206.81.1.216/t/will-there-ever-be-coin-shop-games-worth-spending-coins-on/5221/26?u=gnuffi
and i’m not even gonna bother list or argue further reasons, but be assured: more could be made

don’t worry, others before+you have made your points and desires clear, unfortunately none of them are remotely reasonable no matter how you put them
Chrono is first and foremost a business, please do try to keep such in mind,

none of what Chrono do they can just whip out of free nothing from thin air, (even our free coins too).
At the very least everything “costs” them some work, work they have to be paid for, in some form, later down the line, if they are to stay “alive” and in business, (to keep offering us both good deals and more free stuff)

Nothing in this world comes free, there is always a cost somewhere, remember it every time you want or ask for free things, even more so when you got it; to be a little bit extra thankful

4 Likes

I appreciate the great deals and once in a while I can pick up an interesting game for free. I put 19 hours into slayaway camp. Good stuff

5 Likes

One thing I would say about the point you make about harm being done to games is that the same is also true for games that are on offer in the coin shop but have a very slow take up. Personally I’m surprised that Poop in your Soup is still up as the message which is being sent out has to be detrimental to the potential market for the game (i.e. no-one even wants it for free!). In turn dev’s/publishers might be wary of featuring their games if they’re just to be left up indefinitely until all the keys are gone. I think it’d be much more sensible to have a 4 week cycle for all games put up and if they’re not gone by that point they should be removed anyway to prevent any lingering sense of negative value.

I wouldn’t want anything that I created and offered up on a site like this to be a lasting reminder that my work is unwanted.

8 Likes

I don’t know if the people behind poop in your soup have any illusions about the nature of their work or what limited sort it would attract. I would suspect they’d probably find it sitting in the coin shop permanently kind of amusing.

Your point stands for pretty much any other game though. But on the other hand it’s a free market and if your undertaking is the literal shovelling of shit then you’re not really allowed to mope around and complaining about your feelings being hurt about no one wanting to eat it.

8 Likes

What? Don’t like the FREE GAMES? Well suck it up buttercup! The coin shop is a profit loss for chrono, realistically they shouldn’t even be doing this in the first place because it’s a poor business decision! Your not entitled to getting good games for free, your not even entitled to a free copy of poop in my soup! You have no right to ask chrono to waste even more money on more expensive games that they aren’t turning a buck on. Honestly, I think you should only get coins if you buy daily deals, that way chrono can still turn a decent profit, and by turning a profit they can give better games for free. And I’m saying this as a broke ass college student! I’m a computer programmer analyst student, so I’m in a few project management and business system development courses, and believe me what chrono is doing is far from an efficient sales system, but god bless them for trying to do what they’re doing. So if we could see more threads about decent topics, and less threads about the coin shop, that would be lovely. My apologies for the rant.

4 Likes

so far only game that have had a slow take up is poopster(anarchy might end there too), which honestly i don’t think is so much in terms of quality vs popularity, but users perception of compared coin-monetary value with other games
since poop for somehow is actually decently popular, be it because of the human nature and their relationship with fart jokes, or the promotion done by streamers/youtubers, or simply price vs cards, or even the “quality” vs other equally priced games, or all of them combined, it has surprisingly a lot of owners, with apparently ok amount of actual purchasers

when you see some of the other games that have been on offer for same or less, some might think they’d rather hold out and hope for something similar “value” like that again (value in quotes because of being subjective since not all liked previous either apparently)
and like i have mentioned in another post, Chrono’s reasoning for putting such expensive coin-dollar title in shop could be “secretly” reasonable,. Such as reducing some of the surplus, and to drain abusers/botters if they are still an issue, or just to have “something” in stock in the shop that isn’t utter crap, or whatever Chrono had in mind
(would argue those 3 are still better than other giveaway games from other places, they just feel more expensive because “buying” one means you might not have enough for the next brigador-similarity release offer, but those 3 are still technically free, and decently rated games)

i don’t think other/“more worthy” games will “suffer” in the same way, depending on how Chrono sorts them, which i trust they will do just fine
but if it did happen, i agree, i just think it’s very unlikely to happen the way Chrono have done it so far

1 Like

I’ve also always wondered why coins aren’t awarded for buying the daily deal.

7 Likes

As for profit loss, Coin Shop is mostly a matter of promotional gain.

The more people you can incentivize to visit your site more frequently, the more daily deals they’re likely to purchase with real money, by virtue of having witnessed every offer directly. If it were truly a clear loss, they’d cease operating it already.

As everyone here in this thread has been admitting, sometimes Bundle Stars bundles and Star Deals and Indiegala crates and whatnot aren’t worth it (and are, evidently, more often worth shit!), clearly scarring those outlets with a certain reputation which merits their prior mentions in these conversations.

Chrono.gg’s Coin Shop (as has also been rightly pointed out) is still in its infancy and can yet avoid (or recover from, if you agree) such a reputation.

In case it was unclear, these points are connected. Greater games offered, better visit incentive, more attention, more visits, more purchases, more profits, greater games offered-- repeat.

5 Likes

promotional gain can still equal or lead to “profit” loss

not necessarily, as either instant or just quick abandon can also have hugely negative consequences, thus giving it time can be prudent, and also unlikely to embark on such a business venture without having given it some “business milestones”/margins-deadline taking time-growth-reduction cost-benefit into consideration

this is a huge fallacy - increased exposure does not automatically equal profit or even increased profit

Chrono’s business deal is very niche and will not appeal to everyone as is, with or without coins+shop.
Will it have increased awareness, no doubt. Will/would that lead to increased revenue, possibly, but certainly not guaranteed, because of how specific a catering Chrono does (not to mention how cheap and lazy humongs are at times)
Even if since adding coins or other marketing (because yes ofc it is in essence marketing) has resulted in 50.000 new unique visitors a day (or more), it does not mean an automatic or even guaranteed increase in sales, only the chance.
And most importantly, even if new+increased traffic did result in increased sales, it still does not “just” equal profit, since the first margin would be to just “break even” for all and any cost incurred by everything relating to the marketing, work+game cost etc.

Now, i don’t work for Chrono, so i can’t tell you what goes on behind the curtain, how things are done or worked out, their overhead, sales, stats etc. I can’t even say if they do or did account for all these eventualities before embarking on this theme or how the outlook is for them so far.
I can’t tell you how they make their decisions, if they come in at 10 in the morning and have some very stern business meetings with tons of spreadsheets and accounting gnomes on loan from Gringots. If they just wing it as they go along because, reasons. Or if they sit around the office and wait to listen for whatever orders the office cats has to say (i have a strong feeling cats dictate a lot around here :smile_cat:)

What i can say is, you make some very bad assumptions based on your desires, trying to make it a more valid point to your argument, which just doesn’t work.
Now you could be right, straight up your baseless assumptions could turn out to be true and that’s exactly how things are looking up. But that would be pure coincidence, and doesn’t serve your stand as you lay it out to be natural causation, when in fact it could have/and still turn out so many different ways business/profit wise, because A does not just automatically lead to B in this instance.
And such false equating doesn’t strengthen your point, but only serves to undermine your reasoning further.

I get the shop isn’t perfect, infancy or not, i think many if not all of us can agree on that, even the staff are well aware, and kinks are getting ironed out. But what you’re on about isn’t just unhelpful and unsupportive, it’s just straight up bad and wrong

Had you done something very different i, and maybe many others, could have gotten completely behind you, but what you did and the way you went about it was just rude and poorly done.
Instead of “attacking” Chrono shop, making futile points, utterly unreasonable “demands”, you could have done 1 thing, neat and simple:
Made a post under “suggestions” with something of a title like; “Wishlisted games for shop”(and/or storefront)
and then gone on about every game you would have loved to see in either place, no mention of “why current shop offering not good enough or too cheap games, etc etc blah blah blah”, but simply a list of games to point out to Chrono staff; “Hey these are some games i’m interested in, and maybe others, so keep an eye out for them if you could find a way to add them would be mighty lovely if only optimistic hopeful wish”
That would have been a much more positive way to go about it, and have 0 wrong arguments behind it. Yea maybe some would point out it might be dreaming and wishful thinking to see some of them games, but unlikely to have made other remarks, since in essence it would be more innocent to just have high hopes.

Maybe enough would have remarked “yea i’d like that game too, if not possible in shop then maybe in store” and backup around the idea. Chrono then taking notice of a possible demand for some of these specific games that way (since they can’t see our steam wishlists, -yet), and try to put more focus into pushing them up on the shop/store schedule if/where possible

Again i don’t work for Chrono so i can’t say they would do that or even give two toss’ about 100 likes for certain games or how their release schedule works, since in the end it’s a decision depending very likely entirely on the cats.
Tho i do recall someone making mention of some/a certain game wish, and in one of the most freakish coincidences likely, that game ended up on the store not all that long after.
True, might just have happened to be already on the schedule and just a coincidence, might be the person(s) requesting the game either missed out or just didn’t buy it anyway, but it still happened for whatever weird reason.
(again i’m gonna point to the cats, i really think they run this show) :joy_cat:

There are many ways to go about things, and the route you chose was just bad from the beginning, and digging in deeper might not necessarily help you further along either

Next time throw the cats some kibble instead :hugging:

8 Likes

You might or might not find this hard to believe, but I thought that’s exactly what I was doing. Wishful thinking, wandering wondering, dreaming aloud, faint hope, innocent curiosity, softly solidarity seeking. S’pose my syntax and sense of humor doesn’t help. I didn’t aim or interpret my post to be any form of entitled, or of attack. Constructively critical, thorough, authentic. I was only speaking candidly, as I am often wont to do. Observe:

Help me further along? What, praytell, should I need help with, exactly?
To misquote Jack Donaghy, I can go deeper… Into The Crevasse

Yes, of course! Your speculation is far superior to mine, by sheer volume of words alone! My mistake.

https://media.tenor.com/images/cd8a8e60ac56cbda2aa19918f3016669/tenor.gif

That kind of sounded like The Stanley Parable’s narrator, didn’t it?

Sinceriously, though, I merely described the tactical reason for implementing such a system in the first place. Did not intend to imply causation from correlation, or fact from imagination, or auto-magic profits guaranteed-- Never needs sharpening, dishwasher safe!–

I surmised a simple hypothesis. Although I can see how it seems stated as fact. I’m not walking on egg shells with constant gentle kid-gloves and repeated rapid *qualifiers to make my talking in circles seem somehow superior.

I agree, talking down to people, in spirals at that, doesn’t work to make a more valid argument. Thus, your logic seems all the more arbitrary. Perhaps, rather than pedantically outlining the obvious, you could put all those words to better use by elaborating on yourrr reallll rational reasoning?

Speaking of kid-gloves, if you don’t work for Chrono, why are you white-knighting them so hard, anyhow? Shouldn’t Chrono speak for itself, if it objects to my blasphemy and cares as deeply about my WRONG opinion as you pretend to?

Mayhaps you’re just answering here trying to earn some more of their precious coins for your trouble, eh? :wink: Hahaha :v

Oh, so it’s not cool when I do it?
http://community.chrono.gg/uploads/default/original/2X/3/30b120bcc79eec602f70a1cefd42c70224016ced.gif
Fun fact: Shawshank’s actually kinda my favourite film, based purely on viewcount…

Also, here’s a silly sad song to cheer us up.
- YouTube

I have too much fun.

Apologies for any and all transgressions. May you absolve me, wise one, of my many and varied textual sins.

Enjoy this kibble instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S.: Now that is what I call speaking candidly! Phew! I’m gonna need a nap, after daydreaming all that for an answer… And after being awake 23 hours now…

Feel free to add me on Steam! nintendude794

P.P.S.: Before you remind me so, please know I know I am. Err at least I think therefore I think I think I am. Y’know, that ole chestnut.

P.P.P.S. Heh he said pee pee pee.

P.P.P.P.S. OH NO I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST A DREAM. Inception brass sound ensues

this thread is just turning into another ZeroZ30o thread, just go read the other thread and lets be done with this.

2 Likes