What sort of discussions do you want to see within the Chrono community?

Am I expecting much from this topic? That’d be a no. But I’m making it because I’ve met some awesome people by way of these forums (no names mentioned but you know who you are!) and at times I feel like the community is teetering on life support…

Rather than spam new topics, I’d be interested to know what sort of discussion people feel is missing here? Do we want topics about new tech? (for instance I’m surprised there was no mention of the recent Nvidia reveal of the 20xx series) New and upcoming games? Purchasing conundrums? Or how about opinions on world news, with discussion on the mess that is Brexit, the political chaos in Australia, the Pope protest or the trouble that Trump finds himself in?

Personally I’d love to see more discussion on what people are achieving or doing in the games they’re playing…I’m looking at you Gnome! When you astound us with your impossible achievement hunting I don’t want to have to check your Steam profile to found out, I want to know here! Also, it might be nice to see the Chrono team encourage activity by running mini competitions for bonus coins (not huge amounts, 50 or so like Gamefaqs and Karma). I know Inferry would be getting a small boost to his stash if that happened…

So, no one is going to reply, and this topic and my good intentions will be mercilessly squished, but feel free to chip in any ideas on what we might be almost deliberately not discussing!

17 Likes

Oh boy, is there room for discussion. I’ve got RTX memes for days.

For the record, I’d avoid political threads. It got pretty heated last time around.

14 Likes

This one tickled me too, for it’s subtlety -

I remember, but they’re certainly interesting, and it’s nice to get some alternative points of view.

Also, can anyone tell me where I left the box for Lightning Returns? I want to put it on ebay and I can’t for the life of me remember where I put it…

10 Likes

have you checked your fridge? under the cheese

4 Likes

I am well aware that this could create a tear in both spacetime and our friendship but…I don’t eat cheese.

8 Likes

which is exactly why u still haven’t found that box yet, just check under the cheese, lol

8 Likes

8 Likes

Precisely what I’ve been trying to encourage myself with everything I’ve played. Trying to get people involved with minimetro, which was a huge success, or share their their Hollow Knight stories and dark souls obviously. Not to go unmentioned of course @onLooSe’s recent attempts to get us all engaged in Dead Cells daily runs.

I take a fair amount of screenshots while I play and while most of them turn out shit because it tends to save the what’s on screen .5s later I often wonder if anyone else would care even about the cooler ones if they have no context to what’s shown. My last attempt didn’t get a lot of attention and then there’s of course the concern about spoilers too.

I do love talking to people about the games I’m playing, which of course is hard when you’re playing them 2-3 years late waiting for the prices to drop. So far I feel like I’ve had a pretty good time of it and found several people here who do the same.

Maybe we should start up a book club for games or something, where we try to find a game we all have and would enjoy or pick something up next sale together and play it through somewhat simultaneously. Allowing of course for the variations in hours we all have available to play games.

As for politics, I prefer not discussing it in unrelated channels. Mostly because people tend to take it personally and in the end very little is achieved. Even if they can be both interesting and amusing discussions the damage that tends to be done in their wake is rarely worth it.

13 Likes

Game of the month club?! That sounds like a fun thing!

11 Likes

Whatever you do don’t bring politics here, it won’t be fun for anyone.

14 Likes

I personally try to keep my threads game related, (and most of the time fail miserably) but a little bit of new and interesting topics would be nice.
I feel that we have recently hit a drought of new threads that chronies basically just converse with each other. Of course we do already have a lot of places we’re you can tell everyone what you’ve been doing recently, not sure if you’d count that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

I’m open for anything, really. It’s not so much the topics, but the people you talk with. I feel like with this community you could talk about god and the world (german saying) and I wouldn’t mind. In other forums with people I don’t like it’s like… I don’t care about anything they have to say so I don’t bother joining any discussion. Be it in sync with what the forum’s about or not.

But also…

9 Likes

I want to see more people discussing literature, perhaps even create a thread all about literature. At this point, I’d accept a thread that was about literature and sub forums of it like manga and comics so long as it got the ball rolling. :laughing:

Also, it would be interesting to see more technology related posts come up. Anything about it though, not just hardware, but software too, such as coding and whatnot.

I have seen the discussions bring grief mostly because there’s always that one person who has to ruin it for everyone, so I understand why you say this. The problem with restricting the site like this though is that it restricts what can be posted and the much desired traffic, and if people don’t know what to say that isn’t about games/gaming or tech (which already receives very little traffic), they aren’t going to be posting on the forum much at all.

It’s just a shame people want to avoid the discussion because of how nasty it gets because how some people have to act. :sweat:

6 Likes

It’s not that somebody just feels like ruining it though-- it’s that somebody gets ANGRY about it. This will always be the case. It doesn’t matter which side people are on. One person will go too far in one direction, somebody else on the other side expresses this in a rather blunt way, and everything goes wrong from there.

Nobody said anything about a ban on the topic altogether, but “tread lightly” is great for any forum as an unspoken rule.

10 Likes

Oh, I know they don’t ruin it just to ruin it (though I’m sure some people exist who probably do). I just meant they ruin it in by acting out in earnest or in the “heat of the moment”, whether it is reacting emotionally, getting angry, insulting the other person, belittling them, et cetera, et cetera.

And so it’s a shame because if people could get through the topic better, maybe things would be better and I know for a fact misunderstandings wouldn’t be as bad as it is now.

Well I hadn’t taken the comment like that, I just meant that if they see what the forum populace generally accepts and doesn’t accept—and perhaps the overall view—they’ll be hesitant to post anything but game related content, which is already a very low traffic topic, leading them to post less and less because they feel like they can’t talk about what they really want to talk about, for whatever reasons that may be.

4 Likes

I would love to see more discussions around games and their strategies (especially ones like Dark Souls, where people can go at it in entirely different ways and succeed). I would like to be a more active poster as well like I used to be, but with a second child on the way and still being full time enrolled in studies, I just don’t have the time.

7 Likes

OK I’m just gonna dodge that ‘politics’ bullet if y’all don’t mind.

Now, about what I’d like to see discussed more:

As lightly commented on another threat by @Shalandir and suggested by OP, I’d really like some healthy competition about coins and things like that, like a meta game in the community – similar to what the old, senior, crippling regulars did with the streak deal.

Of course competition always has the potential to take a nasty turn, but I think we’ve done alright so far, as a community, to try it. Just my two cents. :blush:

I’d also like to see more of y’all talk about science. :comet::sunny::full_moon::star::earth_africa:

I also absolutely agree with:
  1. ’Book club for games or something [sic]’, as suggested by @Fraggles. Along the lines of what he suggested, I also think it would be important to add two event times for any given game whenever possible, to increase the chances of everyone joining.

Along those lines, I wish Steam would have a feature to group friends and check which games they all have in common, to find out the most popular games among us Chronies and more easily make that ‘book club’ selection.

If the idea gains traction, and she agrees to it, I think @delenn13 would be a great source of info on which games we have in common, since she’s always ‘in the know’ about people’s wishlists and so on – or so it seems to me. :blush:

1. Literature, as suggested by @Rhyagelle. I gotta be honest with you, @xist, that thread you made compiling music, movies AND books just ain’t doing it for me. It’s too messy. Anyone else feel like we should break it down? I mean not everyone here listens to music, watches movies or reads, which is more than alright. I think we could all benefit from a teensy tinesy bit of streamlining, as seen, for example, in the Newly Released Music Thread, by @TR3NT.

I don’t think there’s any harm in 'theme threads 'eventually boiling down to the same group of people – e.g.: music – as long as we have enough of these to keep everyone talking, somewhere. Not every thread is for everyone – thank goodness – and I don’t think that should be reason to discourage folk from created a niche thread. In fact, I think we don’t have enough of those.

Bonus Trivia:

@DownwardConcept, bro, “God and the world” (‘Deus e o mundo’) also exists in Portuguese! Lovely to know that. Although we generally use it like: “God and the world know that @Enki has the dankest memes.” :butterfly:

PS: Sorry about all the mentions and wordy words, I may have done a :poop: job at trying to keep my thoughts organized.

12 Likes

Forgot to say that. @Fraggles’ idea of a monthly game club would be great! It would bring some decent discussion, and could be fun to get together if it has some multiplayer aspects to it as well.

6 Likes

I agree, I don’t listen to music or watch movies very often, but I am a massive book fan and always have to have something to read.
It would be great to have some kind of book club/thread, I feel that I would actually go on that for some book opinions and conversations.

5 Likes

Well, @Nateninja21 I say go right ahead and create that thread if you wanna! :blush:

FYI I’m heading to bed and will be back tomorrow late-ish, so if you don’t feel like starting it by yourself, maybe you can PM me to discuss a few ideas?

I feel like @Rhyagelle and @xist could also help get this book club deal officially started, if they want to and have the time to, naturally.

BTW I’m a huge procrastinator – except when I’m in work mode – and perfectionist, hence why I’m not just up and doing this myself.

Also totally just remembered this:

@DownwardConcept remember that monthly theme deal we had (have?) on BLAEO? Think we could pull off something similar here on Chrono? :smile:

6 Likes