What is a little detail in an old game that you miss?

Maybe not to do with old games as such but I miss being younger and looking forward to the games that weren’t really great. Yet still loving them when they came out and still loving them to this day.
Games such as -
Zone of the Enders
Sword of the Samurai
Jade Cocoon 1 & 2
Heart of Darkness
Tenchu
LAPD Future Cop
Point Blank
Etc, etc.
I just don’t get as excited about any games nowadays, I enjoy them when they’re out but just no longer have that child like excitement anymore.
Sorry if this is off topic but to come back to the topic I miss games with light guns.
I used to love playing Time Crisis and Point Blank. Even further back, Duck Hunt. Sitting in your room pretending you were saving the girl or had the accuracy of a real marksman.

3 Likes

Games before always online patching were available… The developers knew that if it was a mess on release it would always be a mess. I really miss that.

4 Likes

Resident Evil 5-6 has this feature as well. Keep replay-ability up.

3 Likes

Well I think most companies are just too scared to take a risk, which is too bad.

There are still some AAA developers out there taking chances.

The new God of War was very very against the grain, and won big because of it.

Battleborn from 2k was really great as well. It wasn’t popular, and the critics didn’t seem to enjoy it, but the game is really good, it’s hard to play now because the community is so small, but it’s cheap enough to where you can get 4-5 copies and give them to your friends and have a really great time. It’s PvP modes are basically a FPS/MOBA blend. They stopped development on it because it was apparent that players weren’t coming back, hopefully this isn’t the end of that IP.

4 Likes

I’ve heard good things about GOW4, I’ve personally never been too hot on the series, but i can see why people like it.

2 Likes

https://206.81.1.216/t/what-is-a-little-detail-in-an-old-game-that-you-miss/11073/23

Hi there!

You can actually quote/reply to multiple people in the same thread, just to keep it neater.

You can use the @ symbol, without space, and the person’s name to see a list pop up and select the person you are replying to in each post.

Just FYI, that’s all. You can also go back in and edit your older posts, delete ones that you don’t want to keep.

Another way to reply back to a person is to quote them, if you highlight a group of text, a “quote” button shows up, and that automatically puts the selected text in a reply in a quote box.

You can type your reply, then quote the next person, then type your reply again…

This is, of course, entirely up to you…

4 Likes

Hi there!

You can actually quote/reply to multiple people in the same thread, just to keep it neater.

You can use the @ symbol, without space, and the person’s name to see a list pop up and select the person you are replying to in each post.

Just FYI, that’s all. You can also go back in and edit your older posts, delete ones that you don’t want to keep.

Another way to reply back to a person is to quote them, if you highlight a group of text, a “quote” button shows up, and that automatically puts the selected text in a reply in a quote box.

You can type your reply, then quote the next person, then type your reply again…

This is, of course, entirely up to you…

Thanks @YQMaoski I didn’t realize this place used reddit style markup.

4 Likes

You are welcome! :smiley:

When you reply, or write anything, there’s the text box that tells you:

So anything from Markdown, BBCode, or HTML formatting would work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i find the “multi”-quoting really neat, since it usually also helps with “what” i’m replying to, if more than one/something specific in a snippet of a post i was pointing at (since the general posting/replying is either “non”-direct" or only to the “direct”+“entire” post)

:+1: (don’t forget the quotes in quotes) :wink: :smile:

:rofl: you know i’m just having fun :hugs:

:thinking:
i miss fat chickens in general, used to be saturday/sunday chicken roast, these days all you are getting are wings, or nuggets… where did the rest of the chicken disappear?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :man_shrugging: :smile:

i try to not remember goldeneye, (that horrible n64 controller :persevere: made the game experience so much worse than it had to), -aaand 'cos i lost nearly every match in mp :joy:

oh, and @CptMold, have some ragdoll :wink:

:smile:

6 Likes

In the case of Gears 4, I wouldn’t call it bloatware. It has a lengthy campaign, countless cutscenes, a whole lot of well polished animations, and very high texture quality. It was originally a good deal smaller, and Xbox One X patches for both XOX and Windows have left the game larger due to larger bitrates/resolutions in cutscenes and higher-quality texture files. It’s also still getting active support with maps and skins/characters, and maps are always downloaded as only the host needs to own the season pass for everyone to play them.

I believe Forza Horizon 3 hit the 200GB mark after its Xbox One X update,

so...

there's%20always%20a%20bigger%20fish%20phil%20spencer

2 Likes

The Witcher 3 is 36GB, what is the other 100 supposed to contain?

3 Likes

@Fraggles The Witcher 3 doesn’t have any prerendered content, does it? I believe Gears of War 4 has prerendered cutscenes.

I didn’t even notice in-game because they smoothly transitioned and had no visible artifacting. If it used Bink video and still had no artifacting, that would mean some ridiculously large bitrates. That game also has a very well compressed engine, similar to how Watch_Dogs and Watch_Dogs 2 were both under 20GB.

At the very least, you can see some improvements for your trouble. “Bloat” is when features you know you’ll never use take up ridiculous amounts of space, like when you download the cutscenes for Quantum Break (180GB game, up from 70… that’s 110GB of cutscenes, only half of which you’ll watch due to a branching story) or when Titanfall had 30GB of uncompressed audio for EVERY SUPPORTED LANGUAE instead of the two or three languages relevant to your region.

3 Likes

:hushed: holy royal fck… :dizzy_face:
i know gow4 had a ton of “uncompressed” cinematics and hq textures, (and a bit of, “hey lets make them download all dlc/mtx content”), but still even that seemed high at 100+gb,
now you’re telling me forza is almost twice that, holy hell, what are they thinking :face_with_head_bandage: and here i was making jokes about MS getting stake in hdd buizz, :grimacing: -might be someone should check into that and see if such jests actually had some validity :exploding_head:

auch, poor consoles (please tell me you can still just swap the hdd on the xbone then?), and damn, sympathies to MS gamers in general these days/for the future it seems… better get ready to stock up on cheap drives if wanting to be able to continue fit games in storage for play :smile:

:+1:

2 Likes

Most cinematics in witcher 3 are in game rendered scripts so no need to play any stored videos. But fine lets throw in a 25 episode anime series 1080 BR rip with a lot of film grain effects making the whole thing bloated to hell so that’s another 65gb to be generous and I bet you that’s going to be far higher quality video. Still 30gig worth of pointless bloat.

3 Likes

I was always annoyed about the Xbox One and PS4 having such small storage space for this reason. 500GB is nothing these days, even if games were only 50GB on average back then.

Xbox has at least set up an “intelligent download” system… the original Xbox One and Xbox One S don’t get these features, they’ll just get the game as-is. Only X and Windows will get the 4K enhancements, even though I always play on Medium-ish to maintain decent performance… -_-

4 Likes

Wow, I remember things way differently… And apparently need to update my storage space…

5 Likes

I think it’s also worth mentioning that Xbox One actually does support external HDDs. A friend of mine with an X almost immediately grabbed a 2TB hard drive, and I proceeded to irritate him by making him install a ton of Xbox 360 games I had laying around that were roughly 5-8GB each after emulation patches. Storage isn’t too much of a problem over there, in fact the support that Microsoft had is pretty much the entire reason why Sony was pressured into adding support for external hard drives on PS4.

3 Likes

Same with PS4! Mine has a 3TB external hooked up, no real delays at all compared to when the games were installed on the internal drive.

2 Likes

Yup, I’m really glad that Sony had enough people yelling at them about “Xbox has this feature!!!” to make them see reason. 500GB is just nothing today. Heck, I’m struggling over here with 2.5 TB :\

2 Likes

My 320GB 360 was always full. Uninstall one game to install another, and it was very hard to keep track of which games I bought and forgot about.

I keep almost everything on my PC on external drives to keep room for games, and I’m still running out…

2 Likes