What are your top favourite games of all time and why?

Someone else who agrees that Pokémon BW was amazing :hushed:

1 Like

BW was the best in the series imo, the new Pokémon, the characters, the story, TCG sets without 27 million secret rare cards, the FULLY ANIMATED SPRITES :smiley:
Plus they released on my birthday, you can’t get better than that, right?

I haven’t played HGSS yet unfortunately (~£50, and that’s for a used copy even without the Pokéwalker?!) but I heard they are really good, and will probably make my favourites list once I get them :blush:

1 Like

Hard for me to make a list… but Chrono Trigger, Shadow of the Colossus and SMB3 are definitely there. :slight_smile:

Same bday as me then. Several Pokémon games have been made on the 18th of September

Forgot that they didn’t have a simultaneous release worldwide (one gen too early for that), they were released in Europe on March 4th (which is my birthday) :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s why I’m always so confused about which year they came out in; my head says 2010 but everything else says 2011 :sweat:

That is true. Forgot about that.

Top 6 in no particular order:

Total War: Warhammer, This game has eaten so many hours of my life and i’m a sucker for a good strategy game.
DOOM (2016), Great soundtrack, great action and fantastic visual storytelling.
Halo (any of them), Back in high school i spent a lot of time playing this series with my friends, i’m also a huge lore nerd when it comes to this series.
The Last Of Us, The feels…
Bioshock, Would you kindly play this game.
The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, It takes everything it’s predecessor did well and improves on it’s faults. I love the books and the games for this franchise and this one felt like it had everything that makes me love the Witcher.

2 Likes

Too much but yeah the ps2 era was my favorite with Okami and Dragon Quest VIII.
I have tons more of games I love but can’t really list them all x)

I guess the original Bioshock would have to take the cake.

2 Likes

My top 6 in no particular order:
-Dishonoured, An excellently balanced stealth game that differed in length depending on how you played and offered high replay value

-Kingdom Hearts 2, The odd blend of Final fantasy and Disney, while novel and nonsensical at times, worked really well and was an enjoyable experience, while the first game was wonderful, 2 expanded upon it in many ways.

-Skyrim, How can you not love the open world adventure that is Skyrim, a masterpiece of gaming and the peak of what a fantasy game should be, I’ve been playing Skyrim since it came out and still go back to it for fun, the addition of mods to console versions was wonderful and gave me many more hours of enjoyment through easy to access additions to an already superb game.

-Red Dead Redemption, The Western was a market of untapped potential when it came to gaming, sure you had the ‘Call of Juarez’ games, but that was really about it when it came to AAA western epics, then came Red Dead Redemption, with its excellent gameplay and engrossing characters & storyline

-Portal 2, The first Portal game was always special and wonderful, but Portal 2 was in a word, Genius, it took the vague, yet intriguing cast of Portal and morphed them into sympathetic and complex characters, the prime example being GLaDOS, coupled with the physics puzzles that were ell designed and the funny script, it made a wonderful game

-Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2), This game was my childhood, I have fond memories of waking up my brother, just so I could play this game with him, as a multiplayer experience, it was just wonderful, the ability to actually fly ships around in an attempt to sway the galaxy’s battles in your favour, my chosen side was always the Sith and I loved every moment spent playing that game, It’s a shame EA had to cock up its return.

These are my favourite games and some justifications as to why I enjoy them so much.

2 Likes

My top 5 favorite games are:

1. ghost trick: I LOVE that game’s story.
  2. civilisation 5: So many memories of me playing that game with my dad.
  3. pokemon moon: the best (according to me) pokemon game in the franchise
  4. RPG maker MV: introduced me to my love of creating games.
  5. Axiom Verge: (:wink: thanks to Chrono.gg for that one) I am currently playing this game and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
1 Like

My Top 5 in no specific order

1. Overwatch
  2. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS
  3. Pokemon Platinum
  4. Zelda BOTW
  5. Sonic Colors
1 Like

I’ll try to go by system. My favorites shift like crazy but I’ll try to go by what held my attention the most for each.

Atari 2600: SeaQuest

Nothing special, save divers and shoot submarines and sharks while managing air. Had good graphics for the time and I remember pouring a lot of time into it.

NES: River City Ransom
These systems will be hard picks, there’s so much on these I spent time with, but the brawler game with adventure and RPG mechanics blew my mind back in the day.

SNES: Shadowrun
Too much to pick from :joy: but I still have my copy, I love the setting and the story. Anything that lets me battle Orcs with a mini-gun is okay by me.

Genesis: Sonic 2
Again, so much to choose from. I didn’t really play much Genesis when it was current, most of my time came much later, but the few Sega kids I knew back then were all about Sonic 2 races. Dat soundtrack too.

PS1: Castlevania SOTN
This one is no question one of my favorites not just on the system but of all time. I can’t gush enough about this game and we’ll be here all day. I run this game at least once a year and imported the soundtrack on CD. Can’t get enough.

Nintendo 64: Star Fox 64
Has to be Star Fox 64. So many hours sunk, so many runs to medal every planet and route. Another of my all time favorites, I’m always ready for a run at this game.

Dreamcast: Crazy Taxi
This was the game that friends and I spent the most time with. Everybody was getting to that point in life where you set out on your own and time becomes scarce for socializing, so this was the last real contest for alot of us to engage in. I’ll always remember the pain of the crazy box just for that stupid rickshaw bike. Bragging rights, dude.

PS2: Katamari Damacy
What can I say? IT was very different, has a great soundtrack, came at me at a time where I was starting to search for new experiences when it came to video games. So dung beetle simulator caught my attention and kept it.

Xbox: Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
Okay, I know this was a PC game first, and I’m sure it’s far better on a PC. But I only bought my first laptop a little over a year ago, and the last PC I had access to before that was the family 486 way back. So I had an Xbox, and the game that stole the most of my life was this one. I wonder if my save still exists somewhere?

Gamecube: tLoZ Wind Waker
I liked the style and was into the sailing, everything friends complained about. Another unpopular opinion is that this is my favorite 3D Zelda title COME AT ME :muscle:

…I just realized I forgot about handheld systems…so

Gameboy: Final Fantasy Adventure
Or Sword of Mana if you like. The story stuck with me, I still remember some of the sad bits, and the ending. Played like old school Zelda games with partner characters, so good.

GBA: Metroid Zero Mission
Kept me company at a low point in my life where I did nothing but work to stay broke. Would end up waiting to work for 2 hours a night because of public transportation and this was what kept me sane. Ending bit was more epic than any GBA game had any business being.

DS: tLoZ Phantom Hourglass
Sequel to my favorite 3D Zelda (COME AT ME)? Yes please. It was very gimmicky but I liked that, fresh mechanics that worked well. Even had a coworker that would play multiplayer with me, that was a good time.

PSP: Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
Portable version of my favorite game? Again, yes please. Rondo of Blood is pretty sweet too.

Okay, let me wrap up the last few.

Xbox 360: Earth Defense Force 2025
Okay I have over 700 games for this system, and there are plenty of games with better everything, but EDF lets you mow down giant robots and insects with rockets and giant knives? So I’m picking this right now.

PS4: Diablo 3
This carries over from 2 editions on the 360, so I’m choosing it for PS4. I can always get down on some Diablo 3, it’s so relaxing I’ve had it lull me to sleep on occasion, it’s the game I’m closest to getting my first Platinum trophy for. And they keep updating it so there’s always something new to get into when I go back to it.

PC: Terraria
I own 3 copies on 3 systems, PC being the best for content. Got the PC version last to play with friends and I’m glad I did.

Thats it. Sorry if that got a bit long to go through but I was on a roll.

4 Likes

Wow! That is very impressive! And some very nice choices too!

1 Like

If I was stuck on a desert island there are a few games that I’d love to have to keep me company. Now, I am wayyyyy behind on modern games so excuse any omissions that might seem odd…

The Secret of Monkey Island - People might argue that the second one is better, but TSOMI is one of the most magical point and click adventures I’ve ever played. From the humour to the music to the magical story and characters, it’s a charming example of breathing life into a game and conveying so much more than merely swiping the screen for objects.

Ninja Gaiden Black - Part of me loves this game because I’ve had friends who quit before beating the first boss. Part of me loves it because you’re a Ninja. But most of me loves it because it’s a hard but fair third person combat adventure that relies on skill and patience.

Devil May Cry 3 - See above.

Final Fantasy Tactics - I love a good SRPG. And Final Fantasy Tactics is a great SRPG. I’ve always intended to try Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together but never had the time so that could possibly depose this one but the array of characters, intriguing plot and brutal difficulty makes me love this adventure in the land of Ivalice.

Vagrant Story - Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements…

Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Job System - It’s great, despite the fact that the developers bottled it with choosing the main character.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence - There’s a giant ladder inside all of us.

Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King - Because snow crunch is a sound that just can’t be imitated.

Dead Space - Dismemberment with extreme prejudice whilst fixing stuff, with a protagonist named after two legendary sci-fi authors.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria - Norse mythology rocks. Combat which involves skill and juggling for rewards is ace. And it looks pretty. Plus there’s an evil sorcerer in it.

The World Ends with You - Possibly the best game on the DS. If your brain can’t handle dual screen action then grow another one. For tips see The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Maybe that’s it…maybe it’s not. Star Ocean 3 til the End of Time also might feature…

2 Likes

Borderlands (PS3) - love it…gameplay, graphics, story, ease of playability
Last of Us (PS3) - story, gameplay, controls, progression…did I say story!?
Uncharted Waters (SNES) - I used to sneak out of bed and go down into the basement where I had a secret SNES hooked up just to play this game. I can’t count the number of hours I poured into roaming around the world in my little boats.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX) - this was the first XBOX game I played (even before Halo…was late to that party), and I had to watch a friend’s house and he said I could play it. Hooked. KOTOR 2 was not as good, and I’ve despised Obsidian ever since for taking what could have been a wonderful game and breaking it.
Castle Crashers (XBOX and then PS3 and then XBOX One) - side-scrolling beat 'em up that anyone could play. Used to have it running when friends would come over, and everyone could just grab a character and play. Some crass humor, but I wish they had made a sequel.
Uncharted (PS3) - this was my first platinum trophy on the PlayStation. I played this game until my hands cramped up, and I got everything in there…Uncharted 2 as well.

(All console games).

1 Like

Crazy Taxi - The best time waster on any platform (except steam, never play it on steam).
100% Orange Juice - I may hate it half the time, but I still love it. Sounds like a bad marriage.
Kingdom Hearts II - KH is as dumb as ever and I love it.
Trine 2 - It’s a shame we never got a sequel eh?
Chrono Trigger - It’s good.

No particular order and I’m probably forgetting my actual favorites, I’m really bad at listing stuff.

1 Like

I see what you did there… >_>

Sad to say that I own Trine and Trine 3…never experienced the middle game.

1 Like

no Stardew Valley? :thinking:

:wink:

1 Like

@xist Both 1 & 2 are awesome, you should definitely grab it.
@Gnuffi I was going to ask how you knew I was thinking about adding it before you edited your post (those mind readers man).:sweat_smile: Yeah it’s a dope game but it’s probably not in my top 5.

1 Like