What are your top favourite games of all time and why?

You can do them in any order and any format (top 10, top 5, etc)

My top 6 favourites in no order are
Stardew Valley: It’s very casual and satisfies many things I like in gaming
Inside: The story is amazing and the vagueness of it allows for many interpretations
Pokemon HGSS: The first pokemon game that I got to own by myself
Pokemon BW: The first pokemon game I played alongside my brother.
Pokemon Emerald: The first pokemon game I played altogether.
Undertale: I’m a fanboy

6 Likes

My top 6 in (except for one) no order are
Mega Man X
Shadow of the Colossus
Borderlands 2
Downwell
Shovel Knight
My absolute number 1 is Metal Gear Solid 3, has been for forever.

3 Likes

Ayyy Borderlands!:ok_hand:

5 Likes

(S) stants for “the entire series”

Uncontested emperor of videogames:
Deus Ex GOTY
there is just too much to say about this game.

Emotional singleplayer, wonderful soundtrack, great art in general:
Banner Saga (S)
Trine (S)
Homeworld (S)
Dark Eye (S)
LBA
Silver

Brings up the memories category:
Warcraft3
Popolus the Beginning (memories and sound/soundtrack)
Unreal Tournament GOTY (memories and sound/soundtrack)
Magicka (S)
Morrowind (and Oblivion)
Syndicate (the one released in '93; and '96 expansion)
Dune2 (memories and sound/soundtrack)

I love it because of what it teaches me category:
Antichamber

5 Likes

Agree with @Failord87, Deus Ex hands down, no comparison. Best game of all time.

2 Likes

For this, I’m going to have to divide my top game into categories. And that’s because you cannot compare apples with oranges :smiley: or bananas or overly laboured jokes.
Disclaimer: These are my opinions and my opinions alone. If you do not see a game you like on my list, it may very well be because I haven’t played it or am biased against it. I’m only human :slight_smile:

JRPG: CHRONO TRIGGER
Pretty sure the internet agrees with this one. Arguably the best RPG ever made, Chrono Trigger was a massive project that pushed the limits and broke ground in its time. Multiple endings, brilliant graphics (for the time), well fleshed out characters and enjoyable gameplay mechanics makes Chrono Trigger my favourite RPG of all time! Get it? All time? :smiley:
Honorable Mentions: Vagrant Story, Secret of Mana series, Tales Series, Final Fantasy Series (great games but way too mainstream), Star Ocean series and of course Chrono Cross. Also Terranigma beacuse the ending left me in tears. I never played any Zelda game :smiley: Ever!

Stealth: Metal Gear Solid
Always felt like I was watching a great spy movie rather than playing a game. A very well detailed alternate history that’s built up in this universe. Kojima-sensei truly deserves every gamer’s recognition and praise for what he has made.
Also #f***KONAMI
Honorable Mention: Hitman. And that’s all I know. I haven’t played many other Stealth games :stuck_out_tongue:

Racing: Burnout (Revenge > Paradise)
I never really play racing games. Not a fan of the genre. But Burnout series was a ton of fun to play on the Playstation back in my college days with friends. It’s not really about coming in at #1, it’s about crashing your buddy’s car in the most horrifying way possible. Maybe that says something about the human condition, our true sense of morality and the inherent lust for violence and destruction that lies somewhat hidden in all of us. Maybe not. Watching things crash and burn is fun, especially when it’s done as cool as this :slight_smile:
Honorable Mentions: Rollcage [Psygnosis… Never forget :sob:], Revolt, Road Rash (Holy Cow! This game! Grunge soundtracks, I mean come on! Swervedriver and Soundgarden! WOOOOOO! And that hot blonde who come and kisses your helmet when you win… sigh Good times.)

Fighting Game: GUILTY GEAR
I know, this may not be the people’s favourite but it is my favourite. And I don’t see why I should not choose this as my favourite as it’s got a ton of things that I love. Heavy metal tracks, 2D anime sprites, very tight and responsive combat and combo system, distinctly different characters that play like completely different games every time you pick a new one (Axl will always be my main!) and I love it.
Honorable Mentions: Tekken (A close second), Dead or Alive (I mean come on! The beeeewbs!!:heart_eyes: and surprisingly a great game too. Honest!), Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters ('98, '99 because who wants balanced characters, right?), Last Blade.
Not Street Fighter because I never really enjoyed playing it. It somehow felt boring.
And BlazBlue doesn’t even come close… for me. It just doesn’t work… for me.

RTS: StarCraft
Age of Empires II came very very close but StarCraft takes the crown in my books.
I have no words that I can say that explains in entirety what a true masterpiece this game is.
What I will say, however, is that this game has excellent mechanics. Every race plays and looks otherworldly different (see what I did there? Bad, I know :stuck_out_tongue:) and the music is brilliant! The story is great, the voice acting is superb and what more do you need? Blizzard is gonna remaster it and I shall have it! I already got the free Brood War download from the Starcraft website. Can’t wait. More details here.
Honorable Mentions: Age of Empires II, WarCraft 3: Reign of Chaos, Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf, Command and Conquer and Dune 2 :slight_smile: What? Nobody complaints about wine being old. Screw you! Dune 2 is awesome!

Best Videogame With Colossi In It: Shadow of the Colossus
No game has moved me as much as this game. Period!
This game is not just a game, it is ART! It is so much more than interavtice entertainment. Every time you play it, you take away something new from it. And no two people can derive the exact same experience from it thanks to it’s artful ambiguity.
This game is what every artsy videogame should aspire to be more like.
And I made this category up just so that I could mention SotC :smiley: Oh wait,… Titan Souls, Monster Hunter and God of War also fit in this don’t they? Damn.

Indie Game: Hotline Miami
“Do you like hurting other people? You’re not a nice person, are you? You make me sick!”
I LOVE THIS GAME! I LOVE THIS GAME! I LOVE THIS GAME! I LOVE THIS GAME! 'nuff said.
Honorable Mentions: Binding of Isaac, Knytt, Papers Please, Enter the Gungeon.

Point-and-Click Game: Loom
I love the ye old Scumm/VM LucasArts games and they hold a very special place in my heart. Day of the Tentacle was my first. Loom was my second and then came the Monkey Island games. All of these were memorable, but not as much as Loom. Loom fascinated me. It had that eerie fantasy aesthetics attached to it. The puzzles were like nothing I had ever seen before. Sure, the Monkey Island games and Maniac Mansion/DotT would take the prize for best humour but Loom is remarkably different. It’s the right taste of dark fantsy that hits the spot for me.
Honorable Mentions: Day of the Tentacle, The Monkey Island games (especially Curse of…) and Sam & Max: Hit the Road (what a tour de force of comedy!)

Survival Horror: Tied - Silent Hill 2 + Dead Space
I haven’t played the new Resident EVII_ game. Having said that, Dead Space blew my mind when it came out. It still looks great considering when it was released. It still holds up fairly well. Silent Hill 2, not so much but back in it’s day, it was amzing to look at. Where Dead Space is technically perfect with sweet sweet combat and a Sci-Fi setting; Silent Hill 2 triumps in the psychological aspect of horror. Both games feature protagonists who aren’t combat-ready, who are thrust into plot by lady love-interests and encounter things that may or may not be real. Both Isaac and James are quite insane and I love that perspective; through the eyes of mad men. I guess I am biased to these sort of games, but hey, my list! MY LIST! :smiley:
Honorable Mentions: Alan Wake(another psychological horror/real-meets-unreal/love-interest-in-distress plot), Resident Evil 2, 3(not as much) and 4(the best!) and also #f***KONAMI

That’s it for my list :slight_smile: Thank you for making this thread, and thank you for reading this post.

EDIT: Just noticed @Failord87 mention Dune 2. You rock! And yes, Populous was so much fun! Throw around your followers! God, you are amazing!

4 Likes

Favourite single-player game: Mass Effect 2.
Fantastic story, fantastic characters, and unlike Mass Effect 1, the gameplay was actually good. I’ve never replayed a single-player campaign as many times as this game. It’s also got my favourite musical pieces of any video game soundtrack, “End Run”.

Favourite multi-player game: Smite.
I’ve spent more time on this game than on any other game in my life. I never play a game for very long. A few weeks, maybe a month at most, and I may revisit it at some point.
I’ve played Smite for 4 and a half years. What can I say, MOBAs are cool.

Honoubrable Mentions:

Red Dead Redemption
This game would probably fill both the favourite single-player and favourite multi-player slot if it wasn’t for the 2 games mentioned above. I swear to god, Rockstar has never produced a better game. Here’s hoping RDR2 delivers.

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (Specifically the multiplayer)
The single-player is pretty much standard Assassin’s Creed, so while it’s good, any later game would be either of equal or of better quality.
Where this game shines for me is the multiplayer. None of the other Assassin’s Creed games I played had multi-player as good as this, and I haven’t found any other game series that does the main game mode (where you try to hunt down a target while also being hunted) as well as the Assassin’s Creed series. Not even The Ship. If anyone has any recommendations, I’m all ears.

Halo Reach
The best Halo game in my opinion, if only for the Forge Mode (map editor) and the custom games. The crazy things you could play in it. I don’t think I played Halo Reach itself much. What I played was a bunch of minigames that used Halo Reach as a base and hot damn, it was glorious.

Tribes: Vengeance
Often considered the worst Tribes game, but it’s the one I played as a kid so nostalgia and all that. Also, it’s still a Tribes game, so it’s still fun, even if it has problems. It was also my first introduction into non-MMO multi-player. My first introduction into things like Deathmatch, and most importantly (for Tribes) CTF.

Sid Meier’s Civilization V
My most played game on Steam. I love this game, however only in multi-player. I can’t stand the single-player. My favourite thing is the player interaction, how others react when I send my “Frigate of Friendship and Open Borders” to their capital. Because of this, once people get bored or distracted, we stop playing the game and later start again. As such, with almost 300 hours on record, I have NEVER reached the end game. I have never reached Giant Death Robots. So yeah, once we reach the modern era, I go from a know-it-all to a bumbling noob.

Tabletop Simulator
I like board games. This game is every board game ever in the world (except Munchkin). When on sale, that’s 10 euro for every board game ever made (except Munchkin). This is not a game, it’s infinite games.
Also you can cheat if you’re quick and/or clever. I haven’t seen another multi-player game that actually lets you cheat, so that’s something special.

3 Likes

my top 5
5: Brawlhalla
4: The stanley parble
3: Volgarr the viking
2: portal 1 and 2
1: enter the gungeon

6 Likes

Enter the Gungeon is pretty nice, but I, personally, prefer rogue-likes such as Nuclear Throne

2 Likes

Whining: Because I always get what I want whether I deserve it or not. Best. Game. Ever. WAAAAAAAAAAH!

3 Likes

It’s not a top 10 or anything like that, it’s just games that I love and can remember at the moment.

• Castlevania Series
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Series
  • Zeldas (LttP, Minish Cap & Wind Waker)
  • Grand Theft Auto Series
  • Battleblock Theater
  • TES: Skyrim
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Age of Empires II
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon
  • Shining Force II
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Bastion
  • NHL '94
  • Need for Speed Underground 2
  • Assassin’s Creed Series
  • Terraria
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Ys Series
  • Ragnarok Online
  • And…

3 Likes

Some of my favourite games. No specific order :slight_smile:

• Okami
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series
  • Secret of Mana
  • Rayman 2
  • The Feeble Files
  • Tomb Raider 2013
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Captain Claw
2 Likes

my top 15 in no particular order:

1. Mirrors Edge - Parkour + First person + Light FPS elements = A bloody amazing game.
  2. Devil May Cry (2013 Remake) - A satisfying as all hell beat em’ up. My favorite as it was the first beat em’ up I had played i think.
  3. Stardew Valley - Just gorgeous and zen as sh*t
  4. Doom (all of them excluding 3) - Great with mods but base game is still perfect in every way possible. I exclude 3 here as I don’t see it as a ‘proper’ Doom game.
  5. Pocky & Rocky - The shoot em’ up to rival all shoot em’ ups, the best game on the SNES hands down.
  6. Eurotruck Simulator 2 - cause its motherf*cking Eurotruck Simulator
  7. GTA V - Call me generic but this is the game I go to if I feel like riding a motorbike off a mountain with invincibility and about 100 police cars and helicopters on me all while in first person and not knowing what the hell is going on.
  8. DDR - While I barely every get to play it (as the only arcade that has it near me is pretty far away and dance mats are expensive as all hell) when I do play it I feel like the world doesn’t matter any more and all that matters is aceing that one bloody song. Plus it’s the only exercise I’ll go out of my way to do.
  9. Super Smash Bros - The sheer satisfaction of hitting your friend off the screen in a blaze of glory by a perfectly timed attacked is just m a g i c.
  10. Hotline Miami - While bashing someones brains out may not be the politest way to approach someone it doesn’t mean its not a fun way. And Hotline Miami is the only game you can do that and justify it. Plus knocking someone out with the swing of a door and repeatedly smashing their head in with a crow bar is a lot more satisfying than you may think, for better or for worse.
  11. Gary’s Mod - yeah yeah I know it’s basically youtube bait but man, the amount of memories I have playing that game with friends plus the absurd amount of mods and stuff just makes it amazing.
  12. Nidhogg - Simple and fun. That’s all there is to it.
  13. Mystic Messenger - for yoosung and yoosung only.
  14. Just Cause 2 + Online - The ‘badass simulator’ to end all ‘badass simulator’'s
  15. Tokyo 42 - The games not even out yet, but I managed to play it at a convention and I could already tell it was going to be my game of the year for 2017. It’s just pure fun. Nothing less. The art style is flawless and I just want it to be released already.
3 Likes

Bioshock Infinite its my personal favorite game cause of its story. I fully recommend it to anyone considering about purchasing it.

3 Likes

Probotector, Gunstar Heroes, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Shenmue, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/X, Burnout Revenge, God of War, Dead Space, Ikaruga. Those came to my mind but I forget some others for sure.

I’ll pick 5 of my favorites but it’s hard to rank them.

GTAIV because I miss New York.
Star Ocean 2 because I got to pickpocket every NPC in the world.
Suikoden because it instilled a romantic sense of camaraderie in me that I’ve had ever since.
Chu Chu Rocket because of all the stupid, loud fun I had with friends playing it.
Transylvania for the Apple IIc because I was a little kid and playing a text RPG was like experiencing a completely different world with a menacing werewolf in it.

There are only a few games I keep going back to:
Portal Series: innovative gameplay and great storytelling
Bastion: Beuatiful looking, great narration and diverse styles of play
Rocket League: Dont know why I play so much of this game, but its my main atm and I have way too many hours in it, I guess its the simplicity of the game in theory but the complexity of mastering the high level gameplay
FTL: Great space strategy game

4 Likes

Resident Evil is the title that opened my eyes towards a new kind of narrative in games.
Battletoads, because it was a present from my father. Damn, that game is tough.
Super Mario Kart it’s possibly the most fun I’ve ever had with a videogame. The memory of me playing Super Mario Kart with my brothers and friends is a blast from the past.

2 Likes

how does one even quantify something like that?
I’m equally baffled when people ask me what my favourite(s) food, music or movies are, THERE ARE TO MANY BLOODY CHOICES, omg omg must decide PUFF-smells smoke, brain blew a gasket.
Game spend most hours on? Game that turned one on to gaming, or one that made one “return” to gaming after hiatus? Game that made one cream and jitter with proper nerd-gasm? Game one have fond memories of because was just great on its own, or another that might not be so much but provided great times with friends or family?
Where does one even start, and how to even possibly rank them…
I JUST LOVE VIDYA GAMEZ DAGNAGIT!

feck, i couldn’t even narrow it down to a single genre if you asked and i tried really hard…

so like the other guy a bit op top:

3 Likes

This is kind of in order from my top favourite down, but it’s hard to decide the top 3 because I love them all for different reasons
Top 3:

1. Pokémon Black/White
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Sonic Adventure

Everything else:
4. Mario Kart 8 (haven’t played deluxe yet unfortunately)
5. Zelda BoTW
6. Metroid 2
7. In fact I’ll put the entire Metroid series on here
8. Sonic Heroes
9. Splatoon
10. The entire Professor Layton series because I can’t pick just one
11. FTL
12. EyeToy Play (does anyone even remember this?)

Honourable mentions:
Final Fantasy XII; I got this recently so haven’t played it enough yet but those graphics are lovely
Lego Racers; I played this all the time when I first got it (and I still revisit it now lol)
Various other old Lego games for the PC that unfortunately don’t work any more because my computer is too new
Powerboat Racing; it’s an old racing game that actually works on my computer, and it’s still fun
The Cat in the Hat (PS2); yes, I know it was a terrible movie but I STILL HAVEN’T FINISHED THE GAME AAAAAA
There’s one particular PS2 racing game that I really liked but I lost the both the disc and the box (I have no idea how) ages ago and I haven’t played it since… and I can’t remember the name of it either.

2 Likes