What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

I really enjoyed the GTO anime and didn’t even know there was a live action version. However, having just taken a look at some previews it really highlights the distance between me and the intended audience.

With the anime I can suspend disbelief - they’re adults and younger adults all speaking English. I can relate. However, the live action features a load of Japanese teenagers doing teenager things. I’m not a Japanese teen, heck, I’m not even a British teen, so I can’t connect with it at all. It sounds ridiculous because the anime has teenage characters in it, but because they’re animated they don’t mentally strike me as being that different from me.

I suppose what I’m trying to articulate is that in my book the anime is a situation based character comedy, whilst the live action appears to be a show aimed at more squarely at a younger demographic (despite both being based off the same source material). I loved the Boys Over Flowers anime but there’s no way in a million years I’d ever consider watching the TV show of the same story.

4 Likes

I, on the other hand, saw the live action version first, went back to see the anime, then saw the redo of the live action. I think it comes down to whichever made an impression on you initially. However, I understand there’s a difference between watching it dubbed, which is what you did, and watching it in the original language. I never watched the anime dubbed, don’t think I can put myself to do that, just my own preference. I do think you should give the live action a chance of it ever floats within your field of vision, I thought it to be very well done! I did speak to a Japanese college professor shortly after it came out, I was very amused by the story, but he was not at all. Anyway, to each his/her own I suppose. Cheers! :beer:

3 Likes

i’m rewatching The Tudors(it’s brilliant), while laying here trying to pass some time :face_with_thermometer:

weeeeeeeeeeeeell…
since i think maybe aaalot of Force awaken sucked major lightbeams, it’s not hard for Rogue One to “surpass” it. Tho rogue one has its own major flaws too i think
but it was almost fine to watch through just for the great ending alone, -and Alan Tudyk :joy:
i mean, there are worse ways to spend 2 hours, but maybe also better, depends on how delicate your palate is
(i’d sure as hell take Rogue One over the live dc movies tho lol)

5 Likes

Amen to that. GTO is definitely a good watch, with heart-warming characters and a nice story, and irrespective of the medium It’s good that people experience it.

If I’m honest whilst I liked it more than Force Awakens, the comedy elements ruined it a little for me. Star Wars is really on life support now…

…annnnnnnnnd I’ve just finished The Sopranos…all done and dusted. After the initial rough bump over the first four or five episodes I really started looking forward to getting in to continue watching. Although about half way through the final season I knew that however it finished I wasn’t going to be satisfied.

And I’m one episode in to Firefly. Looking fine so far! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

just make sure you watch them in “viewing order”, and not Fox’ bullshit airing order

4 Likes

Thanks. What is the first book called? Deathstalker War? Says in the app that it’s the 3e book, but can’t find any other with the same auther other than, Blue moon rising, Beyond blue moon, Once in a blue moon and River at green knowe. :thinking:

Other than that I just started to listen to Moby Dick by Herman Melville, so far very entertaining.

I also watch the first episode of Netflix serie; Altered Carbon that came this friday, very interesting first episode.

6 Likes

I’ve read all his stuff and I’ve enjoyed most of it, although the quality can vary. Deathstalker, Hawk and Fisher and the Forest Kingdom were good for me. Secret Histories is also fun. Nightside was variable. Ghost Finders meh…and Ishmael Jones was ok. He covers Scifi, Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Mystery Scifi thriller etc…

Good catch…I almost forgot!

5 Likes

Damn straight

3 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. That is my favorite video game soundtrack ever. Didn’t know they played live…

3 Likes

Finished watching Firefly…I am seriously bemused. Killyjoys is up to three seasons and they canned Firefly after one??? There doesn’t appear to be any justice in the world…

Well, I’m going to finish season three of another cancelled show (that was also better than Killjoys)…Dark Matter.

5 Likes

i’m still hoping Dark Matter gets saved and picked up for season 4 by others
and that Killjoys, eventually, suffers it’s well deserved fate of drowning in a tub of burning green crap goo… :roll_eyes:
Syfy are masters of canceling the wrong/good shows :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

I’m watching “The Sopranos” right now, and nothing else because I can’t bring myself to take a break from it.

I’m reading “Catch-22”, or at least I was until I started the above TV series.

Not really listening to anything in particular at the moment.

4 Likes

what to do this friday evening :thinking:
oh, what’s that, singing dolphins, depressed robots and bureaucratic aliens, -possibly one of the best movies ever made? :thinking:
bring out the cookies, caramels and popcorn then i guess, it’s decided! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

It only gets better…enjoy.

Also, what is it with Groundhog day type episodes. Perhaps it’s because it involves the best character in Dark Matter, but any episode with a time loop is an auto win for me.

Finished reading the Aliens Omnibus 5. Now reading the Predator Omnibus. What? I’m nothing if not a creature of habit.

3 Likes

Stephen King have made a lot of books… so were should I start? What is your favorite one if you have read anyone? I checked on the most popular and on that app I got, so I am currently listing to The stand, 47h long, oh boy.

2 Likes

Did you give Deathstalker a try? What did you think? (there’s an audiobook of it if that’s your thing but I can’t comment on the quality as I read the series).

As far as Stephen King goes I’d probably recommend the short story collection Skeleton Crew. King is a bit of an acquired taste as he loves to drone on and on to build things up. I really enjoyed the Stand when I read it years ago, with it’s post apocalyptic setting before they became de rigeur, but I’m not sure I’d have the patience for a re-read…it’s essentially a trilogy bound up into one. I’m sure others will also recommend you the Dark Tower series although I’ve not read them.

If you imagine a sponge cake with a thin layer of jam in the middle and two big sponges either side, then King’s waffle/preamble is the sponge and the awesome bit is the thin layer of jam.

4 Likes

I am sorry, but for some reason the app/service I have only have the 3e book (???) and not the others, so I can’t start it, so we’ll see in the future. :slight_smile: :frowning:

Thanks, I guess I’ll continue with The Stand, I kind of gave up on Moby Dick when they got out to the sea, then it’s just about random stuff that I don’t follow or understand, mentioning lots of sailors from different countries and what they say, no idea what that part was about.

3 Likes

Just watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 'twas a good watch. I’d highly recommend it…well acted and great mix of sadness and comedy.

6 Likes

Finished Dark Matter S3. And again…they canned this and kept Killjoys? Srsly??? Starting The End of the F***ing World now.

Also want to take the opportunity to post this song. Heard it for the first time today and it’s great, even if it’s probably not the sort of thing I’d find myself listening to on a normal basis.

5 Likes