What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

Pachelbel’s Canon is magical…his Gigue is nice too. Attending classical performances at the Albert Hall in London has always been fab for me.

Oldie but a goodie…

2 Likes

Just finished Derry Girls on Netflix. Now this was a good show, and season 2 is already filming. Apparently it was so successfuly across the globe Netflix couldn’t say no to renewing it. I’m happy about that.

I liked that it reminded me a bit of Freaks and Geeks and of course another great but short lived show My So-Called Life, but with a bit more emphasis on more than just the squad of teens. It sometimes expanded onto what was around them, such as the IRA (based in 1990s) and problems with being brought up in a Catholic school.

It is a comedy above all else of course, but it doesn’t just stick to that all of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but there were some things as an American I didn’t quite understand at first, like what the hell a wain was until I got the context when they used the words again, but the slang was harder to understand. :laughing:

Anyhow, 4/5 show for sure. Just a bit too short.

@xist

I’m extremely jealous! That definitely sounds fabulous! :+1:

3 Likes

But what is wain?

1 Like

I’m watching You via Netlix, created by Greg Berlanti (The Flash etc etc) and it shares many similarities to Riverdale in how it is narrated, but my god, I never thought it would be so dirty though. :laughing:

It is about a crazy guy “falling” for a girl and then stalking her in a sense to protect her, and I mean in that in every sense of the word, to get to know her and make her fall in love with him. It gets to some pretty crazy extremes fast.

A wain is slang for a wee one, a child. It came from wagon, so you know why, because children follow around parents like a wagon follows a person. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

not the kind I’m referencing, suppose my term was wrong, you know, the kind you pull behind you without any animals (because most farmers were poor back then). Like old farmers used to use, especially the kind in old Scotland and Ireland.

EDIT

Something like this;

There’s also the carts that you walk beside (rather lead) the horse or ox, not ride on, which was common in old Scotland. This was a wain.

EDIT

Finished You. Unexpected turn of events. And

Summary

judging by the ending, we haven’t seen the end of crazy stalker Joe. I wanted him to be caught, he’s no Dexter, but after killing even Beck and getting an innocent man imprisoned for his crimes, I can’t say I liked the ending at all, but not because it was written terribly or anything.

I also watched At First Light. A very, very disappointing alien movie. Starting up The Innocents, a movie that takes place during WWII, not to be confused with the Netflix tv show of course.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/N1w-hDiJ4dM
https://youtu.be/ferZnZ0_rSM

2 Likes

Just finished reading Divergent and it was a really good book overall. I felt the ending was shoe horned in just to finish up the book so, that was pretty disappointing. The characters were… interesting. Not necessarily in a good way. The progression for certain characters felt very rushed and very uneven, but I enjoyed the book immensely despite some of it’s shortcomings. I still highly recommend this book. This is just my opinion so don’t take any of this too seriously.

4 Likes

Watched Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters…pretty decent gaming documentary, and certainly one of the better of those I’ve endured.

3 Likes

On a quest to see if anything non-Netflix exists of high quality, so I am stumbling through Amazon Prime (please Wheel of Time show be good!). I found one so far.

It is called Niko and the Sword of Light. Of course it’s a kid’s show, around the range of say S1 of Avatar: The Last Airbender, maybe a bit lower, but it is pretty enjoyable. I mostly appreciate the art. Actual 2D art. And the kid, the hero, is absolutely adorable.

https://imgur.com/7FrZI0g

Niko actually reminds me a lot of Aang. He’s really light hearted, a friend to all, enjoys all the fun, wild things, a bit loud and very spirited. Typical themes though, a mystical sword only he the chosen one can wield, a princess that guides him, a coward sidekick etc, so if that is definitely not your thing, you may not like the show. Overall, I was quite surprised by it.

Beyond that, I finally managed to get Box Set II of The Wheel of Time, the one published by Tor Books. I was waiting to get the Orbit versions of the books, but at $12-15 a piece + nearly $10 for shipping + really long wait times, and not sold in a set, I decided I’d just deal with the really short, compact ones. So, that means? Yes, re-reading time. lol

5 Likes

holy sht i feel like a need a spoonful of meth to go with a bowl full of sugar on my frosted flakes to come down just a little bit after this energetic explosion :no_mouth:
that was a pretty absurd ride. i don’t even know how to take it. One hand it came of comedic as heck borderline on disbelief it could have foundation in real events, and on the other hand scary af because dramatization or not, this was something bat sht crazy when you take “spin” to the next gen level o.O
I had no idea 90minutes was actually past so fast. :crazy_face: Cumberbatch definitely did not disappoint in this performance
Only regret is not having Boris play himself

4 Likes

Yup, watched it too, albeit with adverts on TV as it was broadcast. I’m unsure how clear it was but pretty much no-one knew Cumberbatch’s character (or even knows of him now) so seeing how the process was engineered was enlightening even acknowledging dramatic license.

I thought Gove’s character was portrayed well, as was Boris’ with his hunched posture. And whilst some of the story was unbelievable I think the majority of it was truly based upon what happened, and it’s why this whole Brexit process is in the state it is. There was so much misinformation and stirring up of fear and hatred that at this point no one really knows what the truth is any more.

Aside from that I’ve watched Jonathan, a very light scifi (if at all) which got middling reviews but which I felt was enjoyable, and also Jodorowsky’s Dune, which I’d highly recommend to anyone who takes any interest in the documentary extra’s that accompany films (eg. the LOTR or Alien extras).

5 Likes

Watched Ronja, the Robber’s Daughter (co-produced by studio Ghibli I believe) and the crazy, ultra doting father got annoying but sometimes it was funny (my favorite part is how the mother is just unimpressed and not surprised by her husband’s over the top emotion and reactions, just always super calm lol). This is the most “anime” I have ever seen a Ghibli production though. I’m very surprised by it.

Then I watched The Ash Lad: In the Hall of the Mountain King. It was…something, but the dub was so bad (or maybe it was so off sync?) that I couldn’t get very far, so I ended up watching The Man in the Iron Mask (1998). It was just as bad as I remembered it to be.

5 Likes

somehow i have fond memories of the original https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronia,the_Robber’s_Daughter(film)
not really sure if it holds up today :thinking: or if it’s just one of those once upon a time wonders of seeing things with a child’s eyes :blush:

5 Likes

Rewatching Låt den rätte komma in / Let The Right One In. Now I did watch the Swedish version first, but having seen the English version later, I have to say it is better. I know a lot of people will really disagree with me there, but that’s just how I feel. The story just feels like it is conveyed better, and the acting from the kids is like 100% better.

However, do not get me wrong. Låt den rätte komma in is a great movie. My opinion that the English one is better does not mean that I think the Swedish version is of poor quality.

Up next I will be watching some old Russian films, Letyat zhuravli (The Cranes Are Flying) and then Sibirskiy tsiryulnik (The Barber of Siberia) and Beloye solntse pustyni (White Sun of the Desert), because it looks like one of those really old cheesy western American films. I’m expecting just as much cheese and as much corny acting as possible. :joy:

You’ve got me curious enough to watch it, that’s for sure. It is up next. Then I’m seeking out the book. However, I don’t know how they’ll fit all that content into a movie, but I guess I’ll find out.

4 Likes

It is a great old movie, highly recommended. Though I’d suggest going for the 3 episode mini series version over the more condensed single movie if you have the option.

4 Likes

I have decided to break up my long string of dense, technical nonfiction by reading: IT by Stephen King. A long, dense pseudo-mythologically technical work of horror fiction. YAY for diversity!

About half-way through and I like love almost all of the characters, except for the slight sticking fact that I absolutely despise the main character… And when the book focuses on them I have to put it down for a while.

5 Likes

Love this song and I love Gurren Lagann and I watched some more and I’m on Episode 17. Great Show!

Intro theme to Gurren Lagann

5 Likes

Here’s another great song from Gurren Lagann.

Outro theme for Episode 16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCw9PErPFQ

5 Likes

Watched Black Mirror: Bandersnatch and it was good and all, but if you’ve played a Telltale game before it will feel lackluster. I think it’s primarily made for people that have never experienced this level of interactivity in the media they consume, but to me some ideas felt like I’ve seen them countless times already.

4 Likes