What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

There was 3 episode of specials ran last spring and it looks like a season 2 has been announced to start April -19.

1 Like

Starting 3Below, a series in The TrollHunter universe, which I can’t suggest enough to people who like CGI cartoons from Netflix. It’s actually a wonderful show.

Also have Bird Box on the list, which is on Netflix as well. Hope it is good!

1 Like

I finished 3Below and I loved it entirely. It has my girl Tatiana Maslany in it, the woman who played all the clones’ roles in Orphan Black (which is an AMAZING show by the way) and Nick Offerman and a lot of other talents. It was such a treat. I cannot wait for the next season. It was like watching Trollhunters all over again. :laughing:

I then watched a Spanish show called Diablero. It is like a little more of a funny version of Constantine (demon hunting etc etc), and a little more “drama-y” and just a bit cheesy at times (some Spanish shows are like that at times), but I liked it a lot. I really hope it gets a second season.

Also, the opening song was catchy! Though watching the video I have to wonder what the hell they are saying and what is going on…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRiJtAYMkv4

3 Likes

In honor of the holidays I am watching:

Shudder

3 Likes

Oh man, I remember this song. It appeared in one of the shows I’m watching and just threw me back to the past. How strange to have something like a song just take you back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXN02XaxlSQ

1 Like

Watched The Fix on Netflix, which is a panel show like 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and the other shows hosted by Jimmy Carr. Pretty funny, but mostly political topics, ugh.
Also seen Birdman yesterday and really liked it.

1 Like

Hunter Killer:
surprisingly decent entertaining semi-Red October boat’ening, even if it’s a fair bit less submarine with more chunks of SEAL’ness, -but the russian accent wasn’t scottish tho :smile: :+1:

The House With a Clock in Its Walls:
auch, all the love for Jack Black one can hold doesn’t really save this movie, even if Cate Blanchett tries to lift it up as much as she can. Unsure what kills it most, the abysmal writing, the horrendous child acting, or Jack’s commitment to the his shtick.

Robin Hood:
Guessing Taron Egerton only can do Kingsman movies then ?
On the upside, now there is officially a worst Robin Hood movie to settle such debates if any such caused a minor ruckus in the corners of a bar somewhere ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindlewald:
Slight info, I loooved the harry potter books, and loathed the movies, have not read any of JKR’s other work.
But, i’m really enjoying the Fantastic Beast movies, and the second one is even much more enjoyable than the first one, despite its drawbacks of much less Beast’ening. And gd dang was even Johnny Derp an upgrade from Colin Farrell.
Tho it might be bit different bite for some, as they sorta flipped the stuff that made the first one “good”, so the “comedy”, whimsy and magical Beastyness is now less than the magicks, “plot and intrigue” and eye-roll “twists”, and overall attempt to be more “dark and deep and grown up” -like the later HP entries. But still enjoyable, and Jude Law’s Dumbledore did not even disappoint, except for not having a bigger part.
Yea i actually didn’t regret my time watching it :thinking:

Operation Finale:
I don’t know what the point of this movie’s existence is trying to be. It’s not bad, it’s not great, it’s not exactly Schindler’s List or Inglorious Bastards.
It just seem like a, “oh and this thing here happened once upon a time without much drama or fuss”, -lets fluff this up to try and squeeze all the drama and intrigue to make the action appear as noteworthy as possible.
It sorta felt like it wanted to do the same thing as Schindler’s List where it tells a meaningful, important, and emotional story, leading up to a noteworthy and honouring sign post information ending.
Instead it’s just more like a “oh this happened, so this goes on, aaaaand nothing really happens or is vital or consequential” -boom end; “this stuff ended up like so”. I honestly found it more interesting to read the Wiki pages about these events and persons than watching the movie, even if the acting etc was decent. The movie just didn’t have any impact…

Bad Times at the El Royale:
much like the above i don’t really understand why this exists, but on the other hand it’s not bad, even if a bit “weird” and maybe sorta leaves you wondering what the point of watching this might have been. But at least it does accomplish being somewhat entertaining throughout, -even if maybe you can get up thinking the biggest payoff was seeing Chris Hemsworth swaying around with his abs in an open shirt as a hippie (cult) leader ? o.O

Aquaman:
:grimacing:, might be unpopular opinion, but, i think it says a lot, when Aquaman is your best movie in your lineup, -and it’s not really “that” great.
I mean, it’s jason momoa, that’s it. Everything else “not Jason Momoa” isn’t really doing anything for the movie, whatsoever. And i didn’t really like the CGI for some reason, can’t put my finger on it, so that dind’t help. But you have worn out story, as cliche and utterly unsurprising as possible, with the plot of every other movie that exists :triumph:, wasted cast (wth happened to Willem the Parrot lately), and… i dono some message about humans polluting stuff and maybe that’s not so good?, but fck it even that doesn’t really matter anyway because hakuna matata yo.
Srs, i don’t understand why this movie is getting that much praise, sure it’s the best in the line, so far, but reeeaaally wouldn’t take much for any future DC to push that aside, like, they basically would just have to include Jason Momoas character again and that’s it. The real downside to this is if Shazam doesn’t top it, probably have to wait all the way for Ezra Miller’s flash to see a DC movie that doesn’t make you want to stop wasting time on this live action nonsense :man_shrugging: (and why the hell WB are you insisting on those other stupid upcoming movies before mainlining Flash) :man_facepalming:

Venom:
aeh, so that was a strange experience, and somehow i didn’t hate it? Like it has some terrible parts, especially that whole stilted semi beat down “lets fcn hate the rich guy”/(Elon Musk?)/“you can’t be intelligent, rich and powerful without either being a superhero or the supervillain; because megalomania and ego goes hand in hand with money or success kids!”
at moments i sorta wanted Hardy to do an english accent, i think that would have been hilarious, and not at all weird since Brock/Venom was somehow already the good guy here ?? @_@
Yea i could go for a sequel i think :slightly_smiling_face:

Johnny English Strikes Again:
Oh lordy the cringe… Rowan Atkinson for the love of anything sacred please stop and end this. :disappointed: did not expect to miss a french John Malkovich this much. How is refunds for movies not a thing… :weary:

The Spy Who Dumped Me:
straight up hating on this movie, even if that makes me a “misogynist” now, because it’s just horrendous on every level. At one point Kate McKinnon got punched in the face and i audibly cheered because at least it shut her character up for almost 5 seconds. I did not remotely consider how much i could end up disliking this movie going in, but damn did it take me by surprise. Oh well, Bad Moms christmas it is then :confused:

Mission Impossible Fallout:
don’t know how they do it, but somehow making more and more sequels of this Movie is not a bad thing. If Tom Cruise just decides to only do Mission Impossible, to where we could get them actions conveyor belt yearly i don’t even really think that would be terrible at this point :smiley:

The Incredibles 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWg7L0NJYU

must :clap: watch :clap: !!

8 Likes

It is sad, downright depressing even, that having a discerning taste in ones choice of film and/or “television” can brand you as a hateful bigot. Hell in this day and age one can’t even critique anything, if it goes against the current cultural zeitgeist, for fear of becoming a public enemy of the people. Case in point for example, recently whilst chatting during a Twitch Geek & Sundry live stream, a discussion arose about Doctor Who. I agreed that it was about time we had a female Doctor. The only caveat I made mention of, was that I did not like Jodie Whittaker as Doctor Who’s 13th Time Lord. In my humble opinion, Michelle Gomez would have been a far superior choice. She was phenomenal as Missy (The Master), so it was a damn shame that she landed that role before she had the opportunity to be able to play The Doctor. No sooner than I posted that entire thought as I just presented it to you; I was permanently timed-out (i.e. banned), moderators started using Nightbot commands to display rules about hate speech, and about three quarters of the chat started flaming me for being a misogynist. All of that because I preferred one actress in a role over another; based off acting ability, charisma, and stage presence, seriously?!? Oh 2k18, you couldn’t be over fast enough… not that the current social paradigm will be any better in 2k19.

Michelle Gomez as Missy, on the left (no, your other left)

Jodie Whittaker as Doctor Who, below

Anybody up for a discussion on the “dumpster fire,” that was the Ghostbusters remake?:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

3 Likes

Some goodies from The Crystal Method. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-DhvdfgwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfUSyoJcbxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA

One of the masters of the game. :+1:

EDIT

(oops, quoted you on top of this nested quote, sorry about that. This site still trips me up. -sigh-)

Agreed. The horrendous writing is worsened by the atrocious child acting, for sure. I tried to like it, but no matter how many times I thought about it, from how I liked Cate or how I even liked Jack, it always came down to those two things. The bad writing–and it was really bad, just so shallow and all over the place–and the kid’s terrible, terrible acting. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Oof, dis is gooooooooood!

https://soundcloud.com/cxleb/drip-drop-remix

2 Likes

I’m currently reading The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror & Goliath. I’ts a pretty alright book, but it’s very confusing. It is written as if it’s for a six year old, yet the events in the book are very dark. Either way I recommend giving it a read

2 Likes

Kickin’ Sunday morning off with the three C’s; cappuccino, croque madame, and Counterpart.

In a few words (LULZ, a few words from me, haha), Counterpart is a low key science fiction spy thriller located in Berlin, Germany. The difference being, that there is a parallel Earth, whose timeline began to diverge from ours circa 1987. The show follows the exploits of both, Alpha and Prime Howard Silk, as played by J. K. Simmons. One a naive milquetoast Alpha office worker. The other a hard boiled clandestine field agent from Prime, whose job requires him to travel between the material planes to ferret out fellow Primes that have gone rogue or who are about to. Factional in-fighting on the Prime spills over to the other world due to a perceived attack by Alpha and, as you may have guessed, worlds collide. <–bottom link, just to clarify…

ᶜˡᶦᶜᵏ ᵗʰᵉ ⁽“ᴾᵒʷᵉʳ”⁾ ᵇᵒᵗᵗᵒᵐ ˡᶦⁿᵏ, ᵖˡᵉᵃˢᵉ. ʸᵒᵘ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵗᵒ ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ, ᶜˡᶦᶜᵏ⁻ᶜˡᶦᶜᵏ, ᴰᴼᴼ⁰⁰ᵒᵒ ᵉᵉᵗ. ᵀʰᵉ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰʳᶦˢᵗ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵉˡˢ ʸᵒᵘ, ᵗʰᵉ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰʳᶦˢᵗ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵉˡˢ ʸᵒᵘ, ᵗʰᵉ ᵖᵒʷᵉʳ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰʳᶦˢᵗ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵉˡˢ ʸᵒᵘᵎ ᴼᵏᵃʸ ᵒᵏᵃʸ, ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰ ʰᵘᵐᵒʳᵒᵘˢ, ᵗʰᵃᵗ ˡᵃˢᵗ ᵖᵃʳᵗ ᵐᶦᵍʰᵗ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵍᵒⁿᵉ ᵃ ˡᶦᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵗᵒᵒ ᶠᵃʳ… ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ, ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ. ᴰᵒⁿ’ᵗ ˡᵉᵗ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐˢ ᵇᵉ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐˢ. ʸᵉˢᵗᵉʳᵈᵃʸ ʸᵒᵘ ˢᵃᶦᵈ ᵗᵒᵐᵒʳʳᵒʷ. ˢᵒ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ. ᴹᵃᵏᵉ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐˢ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵗʳᵘᵉ. ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ. ᴸᶦᵗᵉʳᵃˡˡʸ ᵃ ⁵⁰/⁵⁰% ᶜʰᵃⁿᶜᵉ ᶦᵗ ʷᶦˡˡ ᵖᵘᵗ ᵃ ˢᵐᶦˡᵉ ᵘᵖᵒⁿ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶠᵃᶜᵉ. ᴰᵒ ᶦᵗ, ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ, ᵈᵒ ᶦᵗ.

3 Likes

Struggling through Selling Out, Book 2 of the Quantum Gravity series. It’s merely ok…possibly not in the mood for it.

Have also watched (just going to give subjective scores to save time!)

• Blue Iguana - 3/10 - rubbish even with Sam Rockwell…
  • The Predator - 6/10 - went in with zero expectations and though it was better than Predators and the AvP films.
  • Yardie - 7/10 - Idris Elba’s directorial debut, it was ok, nothing remarkable
  • Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary - 9/10 - Really good video from noclip, would highly recommend to anyone interested in Valve or Half-Life
  • The Sisters Brothers - 8/10 - Really enjoyed this odd Western which featured John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed.
  • White Boy Rick - 4/10 - Surprisingly boring
  • First Man - 6/10 - Didn’t grab me like I thought it would - too biopic-y
  • Operation Finale - 7/10 - Pretty decent film about Eichmann’s capture
  • The Festival - 6/10 - Fair time killer
  • Bird Box - 6/10 - No idea why people liked this so much
  • The Little Stranger - 3/10 - Dull, dull, dull
  • Juliet, Naked - 7/10 - Chris O’Dowd, Ethan Hawke and Rose Byrne star in a nice heart warming light comedy
  • Papillon (2017) - 5/10 - Unnecessary, just re-watch the original
  • A Simple Favor - 8/10 - Surprisingly decent. Would get an extra point if the title had a U.
  • Ingrid Goes West - 7/10 - Pretty enjoyable musings over the shallow nature of life
  • Crazy Rich Asians - 5/10 - Didn’t grab me
  • BlacKkKlansman - 7/10 - Not as good as I wanted it to be
  • Christopher Robin - 7/10 - See above

Think that’s it???
I also didn’t mind The Spy Who Dumped Me.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Watched Jonah Hill’s directorial debut - Mid90’s. Loved it…so I’m just going to leave this here…epic!

2 Likes

I watched Bird Box a few days ago and I was horribly disappointed. Then I see this and now I’m glad I actually saw the movie. :laughing:

Anyways…

Young Justice_ season 3 starts in 5 days (a wait of 5 years!), so I began the show again. It is still as good as I remembered it to be.

A bit late but…

The people who push it and can’t understand the argument of real fans who just didn’t like the actor pick or even the direction taken (but not that the Doctor was made a female) are not real fans, that is why. They are in it for the social politics rather than what is best for the show.

When I first heard that there was going to be a female Doctor, I was excited to see where it would lead, and then I remembered what modern industry does and what they do not allow people to voice. I tried to voice very similar complaints various times, and was told I was being a sexist bigot—and I’m a woman who couldn’t be further than that. I just don’t like the trash they try to push on me, especially my most beloved of series, just to shut up a certain group (e.i, women in this regard). Seemingly, it works for many people. As it stands, it was a poor decision to make in my opinion. I’m sure there were far better women out there for the job. Far better actresses.

However, it is also of my opinion that the reincarnation before her was also poor, but that is also apparently a rather unpopular opinion. Point…nothing is more disturbing than a world where you can’t voice your opinions as respectfully and peacefully as possible without being targeted like you are worse than the worst scum on the planet.

It was beyond trash. The one movie I wish I could have demanded my money back for.

4 Likes

I finished reading some books from my local library:

Carnivore Minds by G. A. Bradshaw: A great piece of perspective for how animals think and feel. I didn’t learn a huge amount of stuff, but I would recommend it for anyone interested in expanding how they think about the relationship between predators and people.

Dysfluencies: It was an okay story about how literature has portrayed the inability to speak, and how it has been shaped by beliefs. I was really looking forward to reading a deep and clever analysis of literature, but it turns out I wasn’t really reading one. There were only a few texts used, it didn’t seem to be really driven by the text but rather the text was placed into the book because it fit with the theory of the author.

Spider Silk by L. Brunetta & C. L. Craig: I cannot recommend this book enough, for those of you interested to know more about how spiders evolved and the diversity of life they represent, this 192 page book is quite a useful guide to evolution, diversity and unique facts about spiders.

3 Likes

Just watched this…I actually enjoyed it, and for some reason was reminded of The Hateful Eight. Agreed on Hemsworth being the draw though…mesmerising sway…almost expected flowers or grass to spring up behind him as he walked.

4 Likes

oh i didn’t mean it was “bad”, just that i don’t really know what it’s “purpose” was, like it seemed so weird and felt like it didn’t serve a point beyond just regular average entertainment, but which it did okay :smile:

i mean, this should start at a 9 just for starring Anna Kendrick, hahah and that ending, best finishing “touch” of 2018 :rofl:
i thoroughly enjoyed it, would definitely also recommend :+1:

can someone pleeease dig into my brain and tell me which actor(s?) Joaquin Phoenix was confusing me/reminding me of? i think it took me 20mins to finally accept it was him o.O -and loved Reilleys performance too. Solid western were others might have disappointed :ok_hand:

wow, i had completely blocked that one out, talk about forgetful movie :laughing:

3 Likes

Jason Clarke?

3 Likes