What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

I just finished watching Maniac on Netflix.

I liked it a lot. It reminded me of Legion, plus it had a good assemble of actors (Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, my girl Julia Garner). The ending left me puzzled though (in a good way), and now I’m going to be wondering…

5/5

4 Likes

Wanted to watch only one episode yesterday as I was anticipating the release and just wanted to see the look and feel of it but ended up watching two more episodes before I could stop myself. Really digging it so far, but what I’m annoyed with, as a non-native speaker, is the constant whispering and mumbling. I think I missed half the plot because I couldn’t understand a word and I already had my TV on full blast.

1 Like

Yea, I have a hard time hearing a lot of Netflix shows. I have subtitles on for everything, English or anything. They have no problem making the sound effects and such obnoxiously loud though. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought about turning on subs, but being the weirdo I am subtitles always distract me and I can’t focus on the visuals 100%. Oh, first world problems. :sweat_smile:
I gonna get myself some snacks and finish the mini series the next days, though! Also next month new Daredevil booiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

4 Likes

I found this adorable thing on Netflix called Hilda (original). It is animated. It’s about a little blue haired girl who goes on adventures and finds all sorts of fantastical creatures, like trolls and little people. I adore it! It is so cute! :relaxed:

(it is also apparently from a comic!)

3 Likes

But also this (and only because I like the title so much - not even kidding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bjvMhFpOBE

1 Like

Finally…finally…finally…finished Racing the Beam…it was an interesting analysis about the Atari VCS and how hardware limitations influenced game design. However, it was a teeny bit technical in places, and not having a history with the VCS I found it tough to get through at times.

I’m now reading Keza MacDonald and Jason Killingsworth’s You Died: The Dark Souls Companion, because, well Dark Souls is awesome and I want MORE!

Also onto Season Three of Quantico…it’s so improbable but oddly watchable so since this is the final season (I think) I may as well see it through.

Listening to a lot of Bonfireside Chat…enough said about that. And bizarrely, I’m actually enjoying Podquisition.

1 Like
It Is Developmental Me, Not Generation Me: Developmental Changes Are More Important Than Generational Changes in Narcissism—Commentary on Trzesniewski & Donnellan (2010)

The second point we sought to make was that other aspects of development were potentially more important than cohort or generational changes. And, when it comes to the development of narcissism, the effect of age and age-graded roles are far more important than the effect of generation. (…) The fact that one can find complaints about the younger generation being more narcissistic going back to Hesiod helps make the point that every generation is Generation Me. That is, until they grow up.

Source for psychology study: It Is Developmental Me, Not Generation Me: Developmental Changes Are More Important Than Generational Changes in Narcissism—Commentary on - PMC

Aforementioned Hesoid quote:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint
—Hesoid, 700 BC

More resources:

1. David Finkelhor at the University of New Hampshire giving his milestone talk “The Internet, Youth Deviance & the Problem of Juvenoia". He’s the one who coined “Juvenoia”.
  1. PDF of the paper from the above talk, if you’d rather read than watch.

2. 15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything
    I don’t like lists but this one has downloadable sources for each one of its quotes to it’s more convenient.

@harith if you have any papers or resources substantiating the hypothesis that each generation is in fact more egocentric, arrogant and/or “worse” (as you put it, although I’m not sure what the definition of “worse” is in this case, hence the ") than the one before, please share it with me!

I fully enjoy well-written, well-researched and well-fundamented evidence that disproves/contradicts shit I believe in, especially something I take so much interest in as Juvenoia.

My PM is always open for you if you wanna discuss any of the resources I just shared. :blush:

3 Likes

Finished Maniac yesterday, without snacks but with scotch, and I really liked it. I kept thinking that there‘s something I was missing, like I wasn‘t getting it, but in the end I feel like all I needed was to watch it all to understand it. Love the central theme, love the execution, very 2001esque shots here and there, overall just really good stuff!

4 Likes

I would classify Scotch as a snack. And to clarify you mean 2001: A Space Odyssey -esq not 2001: the year-esq (both are valid from a film standpoint).

I have been watching all of the old OK GO music videos… Life is so much better when inspired.

1 Like

You are completely correct and I assumed that the connoisseurs of popular media in this forum would know what I mean, which you‘ve proven.

You‘re awesome!

2 Likes

Hey man, I just throw sticks at the giant ominous black obelisk like everyone else around here.

3 Likes

Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

3 Likes

I saw Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn on Netflix and started it. I’m amazed by how good the dub actually is. Usually they are so bad you can’t stand them but this reminds me of Akira level dubbing, almost Ghost in the Shell dub. It’s soft spoken, sure like and slow. It is my kind of dub.

Hopefully the rest of the series is good. Only on episode 2 though, but far I enjoy it.

I also watched the second trailer for Titans. I still have numerous complaints, mostly centered around the fact that they simplified Starfire’s powers and pushed really bad costumes on her and several other TT members (plus the edgy Robin change), but overall from this trailer I’m starting to think I’m going to enjoy it. I mean I do like the rest of the DC shows, so. :laughing:

I’m glad you liked it. I also got an early 2000-2001 vibe from some of the scenes. I also got a feeling they were inspired by Alien’s technology somehow, just felt similar in a way to me.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

But I do know what you mean. The movie has the futuristic aesthetic of the early 2000s in a way and some of the sets could‘ve been taken from Alien: Isolation! The A-Void pod for example or Owen‘s appartement imo.

Edit — Just to clarify what I meant with futuristic aestethic. I meant what people imagined the future to look like at the time.

1 Like

Well MSG:UC was good and all, but Netflix only has the first season, and the MC started to annoy me acting like he could coast through life the way that he was while obliviously still taking sides despite not wanting to. :laughing:

I give it a 3.5/5. It could have been a solid 4 if the first season wasn’t so short and didn’t feel rushed here and there, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I just wish the Gundamverse was easier to get into. When I was younger, I remember just picking the animes up on Cartoon Network around 12AM and that as that. So many of them now. :sweat_smile:

Gonna pick up “Forest of Piano” on Netflix next when I have time, because 1. I love pianos and 2. the animation looks very nice and 3. the plot looks like it could be very sad (in a good way).

Then I’m gonna pick up Bojack Horseman again.

Oh, I was actually thinking you meant sci-fi movies from that time’s idea of technology. I did not expect you to mean a specific movie. :sweat_smile: Though now that it is mentioned, yea, it feels very similar.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/cSxf3SYzI_E

2 Likes

Rachmaninoff was truly a talented composer. His music is just wonderful. The tension and boldness in the opening and the insanely brisk oscillating arpeggios are mesmerizing. Rachmaninoff’s story really flies through this concerto. :sob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJpJ8REjvqo

2 Likes

Honestly any music track from Two Steps from Hell is usually fire and I listend to them alot

1 Like

Listen -

1 Like