What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

Recently finished watching Hinamatsuri which I found delightfully absurd. Steeped in a style of humour similar to Nichijou. I’m not sure if this one went overlooked by many during it’s season but I would like to recommend it to anyone here who gave it a miss or just never heard of it.

5 Likes

Can I just have the 90s back please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV4pXuoI8T0

6 Likes

I recently finished a show on Netflix called Churchills secret Agents. If your into War related shows and movies this is a great series for you. It has a bunch of 21st century people do what the SOE (Special Operations Executive) agents had to do. Very interesting, I wish I could have done it.

3 Likes

Currently reading Python Machine Learning by Sebastian Raschka and Vahid Mirjalili, fascinating how neural network works.

6 Likes

Listening to some Celtic/Irish reels, strathspeys, traditional Celtic folk music and various other forms. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, here take this

https://youtu.be/fxvkI9MTQw4

https://youtu.be/gzoEK545j64

3 Likes

Almost finished The Flash season 3. Although they’re going to have to re-record the intro because Barry is very, very seldom the fastest man alive. Plan to watch Avengers Infinity War and Deadpool 2 as soon as I get the chance as I’m pretty sure they’re available any time now.

Also The Bouncing Souls -

I’ve met some people along the way
Some of them split some of them stay
Some of them walk some walk on by
I’ve got a few friends I’ll love till I die
From all of these people I try to learn
Some of them shine some of them burn
Some of them rise some of them fall
For good or bad I’ve known them all

We live our life in our own way
Never really listened to what they say
The kind of faith that doesn’t fade away we are the true believers

Well you can fight or you can run
Under a rock till the war is won
Play it safe and don’t make a sound
But not us we won’t back down true believers all the way
You and I

3 Likes

Currently listening to as I work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08
(Enigma is great. I highly recommend them!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pav2f4b-1ZE&index=2&list=RDMMhV4pXuoI8T0

@Enki

I remember Deee-Lite. Damn. I haven’t heard that song since I was a kid. Good god, that feels like forever ago. Well, I suppose it was. :rofl:

7 Likes

It is so quiet here!

Listening to some Eddy Raven, because everyone should listen to him at least once or twice in their life. Plus, everyone should respect that hair. :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNBUubBfck

Before it was this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEidbkibsiE

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOOhPfMbuIQ

This clip reminded me of why I’m still into men, so… highly recommended. Awesome sound, cool moves. :blush:

5 Likes
5 Likes

I just started StormLight, The Way Of Kings.
It’s a great book, but it sure is long, about 1000 pages per book, and I think there’s 4 books.
It’s gonna be a long book series, but it’ll probably be worth it in the end, because it was written by Brandon Sanderson.

6 Likes

I watched a few things recently. My apologies for the long reply. :laughing:

Starting with the most recent, it was Disenchanted on Netflix. My impression overall was that it was “okay”, however, Groening tried way too hard on much of the typical humor you would expect from a show like this (which is unsurprising since this came from the Simpsons creator). I expected most of what I saw, and expected it to be delivered exactly the way that it was delivered, and it was not funny. However, the moments it was not trying to toot its own horn were pretty good, especially when it surrounded the king (Zog). I also enjoyed the animation, and the soundtrack.

Disenchanted 3/5

The rest of what I saw were rewatches of old material. Constantine the movie (2005) to compare it to the the CW TV show that got canceled, of which I still feel the sting of, and then Dogma (still one of my favorite movies out there) and then Alien.

Now Constantine…I’m aware a lot of people did not like it. And to be fair, it had its problems, but I maintain that overall it was a pretty good movie. There were about three times where the script suffered from really messy writing, but beyond that, it has a decent flow. Of course, my only real complaint with the movie was that John Constantine is more than a smoker. He’s a grizzled, bitter, forlorn, tortured soul who has seen hell and heaven and battled them both with his own blood, but the movie does a poor job at portraying John as the John from Hellblazer but more as the stereotypical hero with a heart of gold (which, in ways, John of course is).

That’s what brings me to the TV version, which I have to say was the most brilliant thing I had seen in years on TV. The man they got down to the writing of his character was top notch. It was as if I was reading a good Hellblazer comic. You could see the depth of his battles with not just the demons, but the choices he has made knowing about God, the angels and heaven, the souls he saved and the souls he could not (the damned), the anger and grief and so much more just from episode one.

It is clear from rewatching that the TV show is superior, but I don’t think it is fair to compare a TV show with more room (but definitely not more budget) to a movie, but I’ll do so in a manner anyway.

Constantine (2005) 3.5/5
Constantine (CW) 4.5/5

To make this reply shorter, I’ll just leave you with a shorter comment on the last two. I like that Dogma takes a different stance on religion, one that is not against religion and one that is not for religion, but one that is for once trying to TALK about religion (go watch the interviews about this movie, really interesting). I find the movie and the meaning behind it oddly beautiful. And Alien…well, Alien is Alien. I have loved it since I was little, mostly because of the atmosphere of the Nostromo, the computers and the sounds they make and the sinking dread I felt the first time I watched it. :rofl:

Dogma 5/5
Alien 5/5

7 Likes

Man, just seeing Disenchanted in bold reminded me I had something new to watch! I just finished Gravity Falls and I entered my usual post-series depression. It’s fucking awful how attached I get to fiction.

8 Likes

ozM4rME

tumblr_nb3z5aocWw1qc8jh0o1_500

I feel you. I’m absolutely obsessed about Gravity Falls. Have you seen Bojack Horseman yet? Or maybe Steven Universe? Both are also fantastic and may fit your bill. I love talking TV shows so lemme know if you have any suggestions or want any. :blush:

Btw, I loved that track you shared, “Low - Disarray”. Bloody awesome.

7 Likes

I think I’ve tried getting into Bojack Horseman way back but didn’t really like it? Although that gif is my cup of tea. Should give it a second chance.
And I’ve watched a little of Steven Universe years ago and it’s definitely on my list, but that post-series depression thing is getting on my nerves and I gotta reconsider my media consumption or alternatively get my shit together. :thinking:

And thanks, you made me listen to that half alive track that YouTube has been putting in my feed for weeks now. I avoided it successfully before, because YouTube rarely nails my taste in music. Gotta say it’s not bad though! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Up to where did you watch? I remember watching S01 really quickly, due to the length of the episodes and how fun they were, then getting stuck on half of S02 for a whole YEAR. As soon as S04 was announced, though, I knew I had to give it another go. Nowadays it’s one of my all-time favorite shows, and S04 made me cry almost as much as Avatar The Last Airbender did, because feels.

Rooting for you to get your shit together so you don’t miss out on great tv shows! :+1:

Hahaha my YouTube is a half dank memes half indie tracks clusterfuck, so I feel you. :blush:

6 Likes

Well, I’ve watched it when Netflix became a thing around here, so definitely the first season and probably like 1 or 2 episodes max. Will give it another go sometime!

Watched some Disenchantment yesterday and man, it’s not as good as you’d think it would be. Bummer.

7 Likes

It’s like you read my mind. Was about to do so today. Thanks for saving my time!

“Oh but maybe you’ll like it, you shouldn’t take one person’s word on it.”

Nah, to hell with that. Ain’t nobody got time for watching a couple of episodes of crappy wannabe Futurama shows just to find out they are as uninspiring as they look. :+1:

6 Likes

Gravity Falls ended before it really had the chance to run. Such an amazing show. :sob: now I should rewatch it, and feel great sadness when it ends (again).

I’v started the latest season of Voltron on Netflix. I’ve grown attached to it because it reminds me a lot of A:TLA, which Legend of Korra did not do whatsoever. When The Dragon Prince (made by the (real) creative geniuses behind Avatar: The Last Airbender) starts, I have a feel it is going to be absolutely amazing. September 14th…that’s not too far away! :blush:

Afterward, I’ll watch Serenity, because it is the closest thing I’ll ever get to closure for Firefly. :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes