What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

Older Post

I LOVE it when synth music, or any sort of music I suppose, quotes movies, books, news, tv shows etc etc. I don’t know why. I just think it’s so freaking cool. If I didn’t have music to distract myself with, I don’t think I’d make it far in this world.

Perturbator — The New Black

I don’t have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It’s a depression. Everybody’s out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel’s worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there’s nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there’s no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that’s the way it’s supposed to be

We know things are bad - worse than bad. They’re crazy. It’s like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don’t go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we’re living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: “Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won’t say anything. Just leave us alone.”

Well, I’m not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad!! I don’t want you to protest. I don’t want you to riot. I don’t want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write. I don’t know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you’ve got to get mad. You’ve got to say: “I’m a human being, goddammit! My life has value!”

The New Black - YouTube

EDIT

3 Likes

I found this masterpiece

This version… just nothing to say

3 Likes

If someone calls me short, I’ll start singing this.

4 Likes

Dwarves are talented. XD

Here’s another series to avoid: Glitch. Started out promising and then the laziness of the plot for the last and shortest season. Guess they ran of money.

Let’s just say you can’t start with “I did this with my science!”, then go on a Circle of Life, supernatural beings tangent. Pity.

Also, I only liked like one character and his boyfriend, season 3. So of course, that couldn’t last. Bastard lazy writers.

Just read the older sci-fi authors like Theodore Sturgeon or even Lovecraft if the rumors don’t bother you.

To the fires! with series; they always disappoint.

3 Likes

Grr! Rowl! Grr! Hiss! Snarl!

Stranger Things Season 1: pretty good, but unfinished. Questions, you know?

Next Season: bringing in a strange little slug, that can shake an entire garbage bin and declaring it cute. blink blink

Aso Season 2 dumbness, a dead character is not actually dead, coz you know, self sacrifice doesn’t cost anything. Sigh.

4 Likes

Miku and MGMT, love it

2 Likes

Started the City of Stairs, the first book of The Divine Cities. It’s a fantasy trilogy and going well till now.

3 Likes

Watched 1 3/4 Seasons of ShadowHunters and I can’t take it any more. It’s a soap opera with monsters you hardly see because you know, there is drama.

Now, I get there is a lot of hidden storyline about the characters and their pasts BUT DANG I wanted more of the world than bickering, partner swapping protagonists. Hence, it’s miles beyond sparkling vampires but still…

For instance, there a battle in which they dragged the Downworlders (think werewolves etc) into a Shadowhunter battle at their HQ. I dunno why. Many got killed by proximity. That’s it. They went there, the expected thing happened, so they died, like almost instantly. So why not leave them out of that situation? Why? Coz there has to be MORE unnecessary tension between the hunters and the hunted. ><

It has some good music, but some of the acting is painful as is the dialogue. There are 2 insta–love relationships and man the writers give them hell, just coz it’s Tuesday. >< Idk why.

Over all, too many characters you can almost like, but don’t really connect to, partly due to not great acting and the stilted script. I sense brutal editing: done by idiot with no sense of story flow, or a good director with handcuffs on >< It’s just bad.

Maybe the books are better? They are expensive I tell you that! Cringe with me:

2 Likes

Gothman Season 1 is going well near halfway through. Intense, gritty - that’s the atmosphere of every episode.

Fish Mooney is played by Jada Pinkett, it gives you small chills of fear, so convincing is her ruthlessness. (No jokes about that please, heh).

Her outfits too are wow. Never two in the same style. The series must have been a massive investment.

Oh and Seline, aka Cat. The way that actress moves into and out of scene. We all know who growing up to be.

2 Likes

Actually, just to ask, isn’t the CW known for their shows that start out good or at least alright and tame, before devolving to insanity where the only people watching are memers and hate/ironic viewers who want to see how much lower they get?
And doesn’t that include Gotham too? Because I at least heard that The Arrowverse shows and RiverDale got to that level but I’m not so sure.
I guess I’m asking this because I generally find it weird to watch a show with a continuing storyline where only the good parts are at the beginning or certain points of the run (reasons why Simpsons and Spongebob aren’t things I avoid watching altogether just because the later seasons aren’t so great)

3 Likes

With the exception of Riverdale, Supergirl and Batwoman (and the last 3 season of Arrow, sadly), most of the DC CW shows are actually really enjoyable. If you don’t expect Interstellar of course. It’s crazy, goofy, comic action and drama. If that sorta stuff isn’t someone’s cup of tea, it will probably be really hated.

3 Likes

I get what @smellyworm means. It starts great, then utterly loses its way in the writing and start to suck. That’s most shows.

Lucifer was a fresh take on the character, until they decided that it was easier to sort of stick to the Biblical context of him. shrug Love the actor for Lucifer though - he got emotional range from peak to valley.

When a serial gets bad, I simply stop watching. OMG Heroes, GRR. I will never forgive them for screwing that universe over with nonsense plot “twists”. Boo! Never watch anything just for one character, grr, it less irritating these days, more like: “… and they stopped paying the writers again. Oh well.”

Conversely, quitting on a book in a series is harder, since reading is my original addiction. It would have to been Twilight book level of degeneration to pull the plug. For both that and Brokeback Mountain in story, I couldn’t read past page 1. The authors got some money so they could eat, so yay?

2 Likes

Okay. I just saw one song and then this one. Vocals so clean. Wondering about lives.

2 Likes

I love Macroblank.

Also, Stranger Things S4 in a few days! As well as the Kenobi show! SO HYPED! Each episode of Stranger Things is going to be nearly 2 hours long!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

That doesn’t mean they will explain jack and fill the gaping holes in the storyline though. It just means they saw that another Season would make money. Call me cynical but I can’t join the hypetrain. Series tend to be disappointing: once they go off the rails, they stay that way.

No worries, just my thoughts, as I wish Stranger Things was mega awesome. I love The Upside Down and its monsters. The storyline however, jolts me like hitting bumps in the road and then I can’t concentrate on simply enjoying the show. Wired that way. Envy you, tbh to still enjoy no matter what. :hugs:

3 Likes

Season 3 was definitely, how do I say it? Nothing like the rest? They say S4 returns to S1/2 vibes, and all of the early watchers seem to say the same thing, so I’m really hoping that it’s just as good as S1 AND we get answers. I want to understand how an old mansion ties into everything. lol

3 Likes

Same. You watch first and hopefully its worth the trouble. I hate it when good worlds get nerfed by really not good writing.

3 Likes

Has anyone watched Prodigy? I am thinking of binging it this weekend. Need some new Janeway.

2 Likes

Yes, I watched it! I haven’t really liked Star Trek since Voyager (well, S1 of Picard was fantastic), but I liked this one a lot, even if it is clearly more for kids. It’s got a really interesting storyline, and some really interesting character arcs for the two main leads.

And yes, new Janeway!!! More Janeway is just great. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

No clear opinion on the different Star Treks, but I do love Janeway. SO badass. Cisco too. Picard is cool, but didn’t like a lot of the storylines in the series. The Dianna Troy stuff in particular, so annoying.

A Star Trek aimed at “kids”. Teens or smaller? Angsty romance in space is not what I like about Sci Fi. Hence, Babylon 5 was great, up to a point.

1 Like