What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

The book is indeed a fun little read.

3 Likes

Finished watching The Flash Season 2. Better than the first season, possibly because, but not solely limited to the fact that Zoom is a somewhat better name for an antagonist than…dun, dundunnnnnn!..The Man in Yellow! Still not going to watch Arrow though.

Also watched The Boondock Saints 2 (bad) and Cargo, which is a zombie film with Martin Freeman (boring…or perhaps I’m just tired of zombies…nicely shot in Australia though).

…and finally finished Steven L. Kent’s The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon - The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World. That was an engrossing, excellent read. At over 800 pages it still only reached the year 2000 just prior to the launch of the original Xbox…I enjoyed it to the extent that I’d have gladly read another 800 pages. Going to start Alex White’s new Alien novel, Alien: The Cold Forge tonight.

4 Likes

Good music.

4 Likes

Just started Archer: Danger Island… is ok.

3 Likes

Finished watching Cobra Kai. Enjoyed it, although not the rave experience some are describing it’s good, entertaining viewing. Although I do feel a little sorry for nice guy Miguel, and can’t help but wish he was on the other team.

Also watched Pacific Rim 2 which was kind of rubbish, and without John Boyega sustaining it I would have ditched it as a poor kids film. Rob the Mob was a pretty ok true life story about a couple of ex cons robbing mafia social clubs, Red Sparrow was a lot better than I expected it to be and I’d recommend that if you’re in the mood for a spy thriller (enjoyed it more than Atomic Blonde), and finally, Narc (Jason Patric and Ray Liotta) was dull, dull, dull.

Alien: The Cold Forge was a really good read too, and a great deal better than the majority of the other graphic novel adaptations. Not sure I’m totally on board with Alex White using the idea of the black goo from the Prometheus time line films, but on the whole a good experience and I’m happy to have read it. Undecided on where I’m headed next…

Also, I forgot just how much I loved this song, and although somewhat mellow for me, it’s just one of those special tracks.

3 Likes

:thinking:
sooo… apparently salt bae was on Billions ? :man_shrugging: -wtf? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:rofl:

2 Likes

What is Billions?

3 Likes

sry, i forgot Australia wasn’t real, (so obvious you don’t get tv in your fake penal colony located somewhere in the middle of the ocean, or was it an african island?) :wink: :smile:

sorta like intermittent 50 shades of gray ng+ between Paul Giamatti and Maggie Sif… at least that’s my take of it :man_shrugging:, tho mine might be skipping a few bits :thinking: :laughing:

3 Likes

Ah a show I think I have heard of but never watched.

2 Likes

Finally watched Black Panther…it was ok? Kind of a shame that the awesomeness of Michael B. Jordan was wasted there. Also the cultural aspect didn’t mesh well with the technology aspect, and would never develop that way although I suppose that’s the fault of the source material (never read it but I’m assuming the film is faithful).

Also tried watching James Franco’s Future World. Gave up after half an hour…worst film I’ve seen in a long time. And watched Infinity Chamber, a low budget sci-fi that was ok. Not brilliant, not crappy, and if you think along the lines of a short story type plot then you’re on the right lines.

And I settled on reading Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight. Now I wouldn’t have found or chosen this off my own back but came to it by recommendation. But saying that I’m really enjoying it…around a quarter of the way through and it’s an engrossing and entertaining read.

4 Likes

Season 3, just came out a couple weeks ago, on Netflix.

1 Like

Gaming: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon held my attention for a hot minute when it came out. I haven’t completely beaten it yet, so I’ll probably go back to it after a while. I’ve been playing more Warframe lately, so there’s that going for me, too.

Reading: I just finished a re-read of the first three books in the Robotech: Macross series. Sure, Harmony Gold are evil as hell, but I’m reliving some of my childhood by diving back into them as I read them nearly thirty (!!!) years ago when I was in junior high. Also finished The Dark Descent, the second book in The Dark Passage series, a modern gothic tale about a woman who is turned into a vampire in the San Francisco bay area. It was pretty good, and I’m looking forward to the third book in the trilogy. Finally, I also just finished Dungeon Born, the first book in the Divine Dungeon trilogy. It’s an RPGLit book, written like the characters are living in a world that is similar to a tabletop RPG, including levels, adventuring guilds, et cetera. Wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t high literature.

Watching: I’m still trying to find time to work in The Expanse, and with all the WB shows dropping their seasons on Netflix that makes it a bit rough. I’m also looking forward to the next season of Luke Cage coming up net week.

5 Likes

Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None

This is a short, easy read, and I’m surprised I finished it. One of the most boring and predictable mysteries I’ve ever read.

Netflix’s Godless

https://youtu.be/mMUiRYoc76A

I’m not a huge fan of Westerns, but this mini-series won me over. Great characters, story, and visuals.

Lately, I’ve mostly been listening to 80’s music.

5 Likes

Reading:
I started and finished Saga book one. Artwork is beautiful, characters so far seem interesting and to have an end goal, and the constant changes of scenery makes it feel fresh. I’m more than sold on getting the rest and if you are also thinking of starting, try to go in as spoiler free as possible.

I then began The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp.(first 20 or so pages)Probably right about to hit the reveal that’ll open up the story to it’s odd beginning ‘hook’.

Watching:
Decided to rewatch all the animated Asterix movies. Why?
1: Nostalgia.
2: To know if they hold up to my standards.
3: Because there’s a new CGI one coming out in December! :tada:
I’ve watched the first four so far. Interesting going through in order of release with rapid succession and seeing the clear jump in technology.(with some entertaining but also slightly racist scenes. :grimacing:)
I also saw the second Maze Runner movie. It feels like watching hunger games and twilight. Pandering and mass produced for teens. I mean, i’ll at least give it credit for continuing it’s storyline where it left of, and sticking to it.
Also, ALSO started Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood by strong recommendation of @xist. Seven eps into season 2 and so far loving it. Before starting i did not know of all the dark themes and adult tone. All this time i thought it was a kid friendly shounen. :rofl: My favorite aspect of the show is the grounded magic system, that probably could rival Avatar’.

Listening:
People have already mentioned the new Gorillaz album The Now Now, but Fire flies though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCet4yrfp4o

Studio Killers finally returned with an absolute joy of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltodvng8XHY

7 Likes

Thanks for putting this on my radar.

4 Likes

i think it’s awesome…
after it was done i that that tingle in the corner of my mouth, like i wanted juuuust another bite… alas, these types of limited/“mini” series don’t get to be something to just gorge endlessly on…
also; jeff daniels :+1:

5 Likes

Love Westerns. One of my favs is:

Love the books and the 5 mini series. We have them all.

:+1:

Ditto!

5 Likes

Watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine currently. It’s not as good as I thought it would be, but it grew on me over the first season, but probably the best news this month is that Dorian Concept is releasing an album on Brainfeeder in August. Got his new song on repeat all day.

4 Likes

I’m listening to Turandot Act 3 Nessun Dorma performed by Giacomo Puccini. |

While I read through The Great Hunt (book 2) of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, which is the greatest fantasy literature series to ever exist (second of course to The Lord of the Rings). I have been going through this series as slowly as I can because I know what it is like to finish a good literature series. World just seems way too empty. I’ve been on book 2 for way too long, but with only 14 entries in the series, it’ll fly by quick… :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Rewatched Batman Vs Superman Dawn of Justice…I know the DC movies get slaughtered in the reviews but I really like the darker tone, and much prefer Affleck’s Batman to Bale. I’ll get pilloried but I preferred it to Civil War…

In the middle of watching Warhammer 40k Ultramarines (watched about half of it yesterday, will finish up tonight when I get home). Unsurprisingly, It does what it says on the tin.

And the sixth Alien Omnibus got released today (Cauldron and Steel Egg). Looking forward to finally getting around to these at some point…I’m so glad libraries do digital lending now.

7 Likes