What are you reading, watching and/or listening to?

and what an incredible game it turned out to be…

5 Likes

so… batman ninja is, different ? :thinking: :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Did you enjoy it? How does it compare to the other Batman stories? I was going to give it a try but I’m going to wait until the proper translation of the Japanese subs is out so I can compare directly (as discussed, interestingly, here Why Batman Ninja In English Is So Different From The Japanese Version)

4 Likes

well it’s sorta of a “multi part” experience for me, the way i am with some anime, cartoons and certain stuff
base story wise it’s fine, same usual comic stuff, bad guys do weird stuff, batman tries to clean up
my personal problem is the blend of styles, the art is gorgeous, no matter which scene is running. But i don’t enjoy the tripple visual mix up at times, where it goes from one style to another for a short “prolonged” duration, so despite being gorgeous, it ruins the flow completely for me the way i handle/process stuff
second is the “dialed” up anime’ness, in the sense of “this is just over the top”-for me. Doesn’t matter how much i like batman, or how well animated it

slight spoiler

but i just can’t handle feudal japan+transformers in the same setting, or the wuxia blend fighting (house of flying daggers)
(or catwomans decision to get breast implants -Boobienu drifters much anyone?)

so i was basically sitting and enjoying it “half” of the time and getting pulled out the next moment, (holy shit did the intro/setup allude me to some awesomeness with that fantastic animation in the darkness and character designs), but i was constantly shifting between “god this is awesome!”, and “woa this is annoying/over the top”
-which is the same reason i’m picky when it comes to anime and subsequently don’t watch a whole bunch like the rest of you guys, -so you people might very well enjoy this very much i suppose ? :thinking:

now for the voice part, personally i’m a sucker for some english VO in dc particular, and not that picky with japanese in anime unless i feel the dub is horrible i’ll switch to subbed (if i’m not watching the sub from the beginning anyway which is standard’ish “usually”)
but when Tara strong is voicing harley quinn i’m down on the english no mattter what! hell if they’d had gotten hamil to do joker i’d might even have gotten a batgasm, (even if hamil’s joker might not have been the most fitting for this), and i found Tony Hale to do a very nice job on this imo
context wise, i didn’t immediately notice anything that would/should have been out of place, didn’t really run in to the “this doesn’t make as much sense/doesn’t seem right” like some poor translation, so whatever little they had to work with i think they did a fine “western DC dialogue” job,
but being very “anime” i wouldn’t doubt there to be some difference from the original japanese style in mind in the sense of “in the feel of the moment/action” -definitely more than just a few pages of dialogue for the western “perspective” if that’s how little they/creators had in mind originally

4 Likes

Thanks for that detailed breakdown…I’ll probably be on the same page as you with respect to the shifting styles. Possibly kind of like that Matrix anime/cartoon thing, the Animatrix. The consant stylistic change there got annoying…

Also, don’t get me wrong, I’m an English dub person, not a Japanese language “got to be true to the source” purist, irrespective of whether I’ve watched a load of anime or not…if there’s a dub I’ll pick it, but if there’s no dub it won’t deter me from watching something. In this specific instance I just want the alternative subs before I dive in so I can compare them. There’s bound to be some interesting divergence based upon that article I quoted above.

4 Likes

yea after reading it i’m defintely curious too,
tho in this case i don’t care if it’s a 300% 180° flip on the take of it
-tara strong could have been reciting a midsummer night’s dream for 3/4 of the movie as harley quinn and i’d have been fine with it :heart_eyes: :smile:
(:thinking: actually that would have been pretty interesting with this medley of villians and eng VAs :man_shrugging: :wink:) :rofl:

4 Likes

I love this song so much that I insist everyone else does too…you haven’t heard it. It’s awesome.

4 Likes

Wish I could, but I’m not signing up for spotify for it and they’ve blocked it on youtube so doesn’t seem like it’ll happen.

3 Likes

It’s awesome…but you don’t need to pay anything for spotify. I have a fake facebook account which I just use to sign in to preview free stuff.

3 Likes

That’s still signing up for spotify though, even if it’s “free”.

3 Likes

Fair enough…that’s why I have spam email addresses and a fake facebook account though. So I can reap the wonderful freeness of the interwebz and not miss out on content, whilst filtering out all the bad stuff.

4 Likes

Pacific Rim Uprising :man_facepalming:

midnight rant time:

Fuuuuuuuck Steven S. DeKnight and everything he draws breath from!, fck fck fckin fck that kaiju ruining mofo of a worthless oozing baboon taint!
fcning "sequels will suck"rule confirming pos geriatric arrogant simple concept wrecking slimy delusional generation suck-up market trend appeasing boob spineless uncreative theme disrespecting braincell disregarding inept sorry excuse of a worthless mouth-breathing ass’ fungal infected diaper stain of a director/writer!!
may he catch a gruesome STD from every kaiju corpse’s rear-sack pustules he copulates so thoroughly with, until he shrivels up to becomes the time wasting puss husk he truly is
“I vomit in your general direction, your father was a used hand-me-down butt-hamster, and your mother had stale dingleberries with a 3month-old smell!”

^(bad words used)
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

k so i haven’t seen this one, but

the first one sucked balls too mate

4 Likes

ykn

4 Likes

5 Likes

anyone watching CW/Supergirl?

"spoiler"... ?

soooo, apparently Supes(/kryptonians) need night lamps now?, because apparently if they catch a little “shade”/the sun gets blocked for a few secs they “die” now? :thinking: :man_shrugging:
i mean… i know the “lore” varies depending on which hour of the day of the week it is in a given fart scented wind that’s blowing anywhere-else … but still… cmn… that last episode was plothole-a-paloosa to the absurd… :man_facepalming:

… i miss Xena… back then i didn’t have to think about things, just watch stuff get punched… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Watched Swiss Army Man. Now I’m no Harry Potter fan but I’m always up for a Paul Dano, Daniel Radcliffe, Mary Elizabeth Winstead combo…and honestly, I’m not quite sure what I just watched. Equal parts amusing, horrifying and bizarre…

4 Likes

just like this forum :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

yea that’s the main reason i haven’t watched that one yet… (even getting past “daniel radcliffe”), it just looked “weird” so i never was sure if it was something i should spend the time “getting to know” :thinking: :smile:

“Cast Away, -on LSD” ? :thinking:

3 Likes

On balance I’d recommend it. It’s definitely an experience…

4 Likes