VLC -Free Open Source Media Player

My “Play anything” video player…

“Plays everything - Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3…
Runs on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android …
Completely Free - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.”

Even has skins and extentions.

Here’s a tip I got this morning…

Anyone got any more tips or comments?:thinking:

13 Likes

VLC is kind of neat in how versatile it is, but it’s also pretty horrid to work with, it’s my tertiary choice for a video player, in fact it’s kind of tied with “giving up and or finding something else to watch”.

My primary video player is

With the KCP “kawaii” codec pack
http://www.haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack

Wait hold on, kcp pack has vanished?
I will have to look into this.

Hmn, weird. Looks like they’ve stopped working on KCP so they decided to pull their out of date packages. Instead I’d then recommend K-lite.

9 Likes

Now isn’t it funny; people can be so different. I hated windows player so I switched to MCP. It was OK and I, then, switched to VLC and I loved it. The Hubby still uses MCP.

6 Likes

GAH, WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE CLICKBAIT NAMES NOW?!?!?!

Anyway, I never knew VLC had that tool, that’s a pretty cool feature! The Win10 Store version is trash, but VLC’s downloadable version on VideoLAN is a masterpiece. It has the best codecs out there, more or less flawless playback, and a great conversion tool that has saved my ass several times with projects that get complicated by shameless Apple users. STOP SENDING ME YOUR iMOVIE FILES YOU BARBARIANS-- Ahem. I digress.

As far as recording, I’m still sticking to OBS for the time being, but it isn’t space efficient and loves to drive me nuts. Free is free, though, and it offers some professional grade capture tools with its active viewport options.

7 Likes

I for got about this. It just had a big update too. Lots of new stuff it does.So If you are already using it, make sure you get the newest Version update!!!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/vlc-new-features/

8 Likes

I know both are great, I prefer MPC, light, fast and easy, and you may laugh at it, but the only reason I don’t use VLC is because of that horrid Icon it has.

Speaking of it, do you know if it can “stitch” to getter a bunch of videos into a single one?

4 Likes

This post reminds me of Floppy Disks XD don’t know why

Now eat this you miserable hardware… i need these 1,44 mb

9 Likes

Sorry, I can only see the top part of the image. Is that… some kind of plastic toaster? I don’t get the joke.

Can you insert the next floppy disk so I can see what the joke is?

6 Likes

the exact reason i use mpc instead of vlc and i hate their cones logo for the reason i can’t understand xD

4 Likes

No, It’s a Video PLAYER. You would need a Video Editor for that. Because I haven’t made any videos in a REAL long time, I can’t think of any programs that will merge/stitch a video for free. If I run across something in my readings, I will let you know.

But…but…You can decorate them…Just scroll down the page…

4 Likes

Thankyou DelenMom ^3^

Also, a dressed up cone is still a cone… oh god, there’s even chocolate of it.

5 Likes

There’s always http://virtualdub.org/
While it is able to do video editing it does not come with any 3rd party decoders/encoders but supports them if you own some. In it’s basic form it can only really handle raw video.

5 Likes

Welcome, son.

And on that note…I am off to bed. Night, Night!:sleeping:

3 Likes

@Inferry You could always use Windows Movie Ma-- ma…

I’m sorry, I can’t say that without losing it! Anyway, VEGAS Pro is a masterpiece and I already feel like a pro after just a few days of use.

Windows Movie Maker is a very basic “if-i-must” tool. It loves to not only pump out massive, poorly optimized, highly compressed garbage, but it also loves to lose all your files halfway through editing and only lets you run on one track. I have plenty of memories of hours upon hours of rendering layers of sound, misusing the narration, music, and audio tracks in order to get the right effects and using animated GIFs recorded with OBS in order to do even basic animations. It was… horrible.

I wish I knew about this tool back in the day. ShotCut is a free video editor that leans more towards the VEGAS side of functionality, but it has a rather unclean UI and will take a lot of learning and practice. If you can figure it out, it offers you plenty of trimming and editing tools.

I probably could have learned how to use it, but then MAGIX had their fantastic VEGAS Pro bundle… best $20 I ever spent. I highly recommend keeping your eye out for any similar bundles from MAGIX in the future.

4 Likes

and it still a cones xD, cant remember why i hate cones
i love icecream thou :yum:

4 Likes

This in just ONE of my fav places to find FREE and GOOD software. Gizmo(Ian Richards) has been doing this for years and years.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-video-editing-program.htm

Hope you can find what you need there.:smile:

Now I am back to setting up my Nvidia Shield. Why does my husband always buy proprietary hardware then expect me to set it all up? GRRRRR!

2 Likes

boys gotta be boys? :rofl:

4 Likes

VLC for media playback. OBS for media recording. Hitflim and Audacity for media editing

4 Likes

I know you don’t like it but in theory (and I’ve never had a need strong enough or free time enough to successfully do this) you can use VLC to stitch together two video files. I’ve only had marginal success with using VLC like that but according to what I know it should be able to do that.

3 Likes

Yeah…the only difference between boys and men???

Their toys are bigger and more expensive!!!:exploding_head:

2 Likes