VLC -Free Open Source Media Player

It wasn’t mentioned, but you can use VLC to record your desktop (or gameplay, streaming, calls…whatever is displayed on your computer). It isn’t easy or user-friendly, but it can be done. I’ve used it to record me doing things to show tech support or walkthroughs for guide presentations. :+1: for VLC

3 Likes

Same here, MPC-HC + K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is the best.

3 Likes

MPC-HC + CCCP was my go to for years.

In the last year or so I’ve used MPC-BE with madVR, it seems like the best option at the time. MPC-BE is based on MPC-HC and is essentially the same except it’s still being supported unlike HC.

4 Likes

Is that really the only difference? I can think of something else that’s bigger…

Do you dare to open?

What did you think I was talking about? Get your mind out of the gutter :joy:

6 Likes

I was a fan of VLC until I put it side by side next to MPC-HC for an anime that I watch and the difference in visuals “out of the box” was enough to make me switch to MPC-HC and not look back. Try it out, maybe you’ll change too. I’d be curious to see what you notice from some screenshots.

3 Likes

I just installed 3.0. :crazy_face: When I get time I will compare the hubby’s because he uses MPC…Promise!!!

3 Likes

Can’t wait :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I’ll have to check them out to see which one fits the job.

@Fraggles that one looks promising and simple, but that MPEG limitation is a worry, I’ll have to check.

@wolfkin as long as it can do it in batch, I have a good bunch that needs to be put together.

I’m definitely checking that.

@CptMold I used WMM once, and only once…, in any case, if virtualdub doesn’t make it I think I’ll use ShotCut

I use Blender, so I don’t think it’s gonna be that much of a problem.

4 Likes

I have been Following Giz around since the early 2000’s. He used to have a newsletter about freeware and tips etc.

Gizmo’s Freeware is really good about testing all their software and checking for ads/spyware of sorts. They check all their comments too and respond. If a software dev sells out to the “Darkside” and they find out about it, they pull the software from their site. Never ever assume that a software is clean; watch your installation.

2 Likes

That was pretty savage, but point taken.

As far as Blender goes, there IS a method to the madness… but ____ if I know what it is! Good luck with ShotCut, and remember there’s always Youtube if you can’t figure things out on your own.

1 Like

Shoes… I obviously thought you were talking about shoes. Because men don’ wear boys sizes

2 Likes

@delenn13 what’s the word on VLC vs MPC-HC

3 Likes

Errrrrrrr…Forgot???:thinking:

3 Likes

To me… they are about the same but I don’t use it a lot… But the clincher is…MPCHC only has decorated toolbars…

I liked my player “tricked out”.

3 Likes

You are right MPC-HC at least as far as I know doesn’t have that level of customization. That reminds me of those crazy Windows Media Player skins from back in the day!

3 Likes

You can alter the background image that is shown while nothing is playing, but other than that no. I prefer MPC-HC among other things because it is so plain and simple by looks. When I’m playing media files I’m watching the media files, not the player. Never liked the big clunky Windows Media player skins or the more weird winamp ones either.

3 Likes

Speaking of…WinAmp is coming back…LOL

4 Likes

Winamp never left. 5.66 has been flawlessly performing it’s duty all these years, not sure I see a reason to ever use anything else.

The mobile version might be worth something though, if they make it for windows phones as the programs I’ve tried thus far has all been kind of annoying and lacking in features.

3 Likes

MPC-BE/HC + MadVR is still the best option at the time as far as quality goes. MPV is also amazing if you take your time to set it up.

I’m almost with you there I like to keep it somewhat simple. But I much prefer MPC-BE because it adds a bunch of basic color options, other than that it’s just the same thing.

I've made a very dark blue color scheme for now

2 Likes

The first thing I do on Linux installs is install media softwares, and that means VLC. I also install Okular but that’s something else altogether. lol VLC is a must have, but damn is it a nightmare to work with sometimes. Getting bluray backups to work in it sometimes is such a chore that you want to smash your PC with a crowbar. :sob:

I don’t have any suggestions or whatnot for VLC, I use it rather simply, but I do recommend it over OS standards for sure.

3 Likes