Very Sad News TotalBiscuit Has Passed away.

@User123698745 Funny thing is, that vile hack only proved what a paragon TB could be at times. That guy had it easy.

I have a lot of disagreements with TB, especially towards the end, but arguably the two videos there dealing with BioWare [as well as the one he conveniently “forgot” to mention] are some of his best.

NFS Rivals: TB trying his best to find anything good to say about a terrible PC port. I’ve played this one myself, by the way. It’s the first time I’ve played a racing game where I could ever break the game simply by going fast. I managed to slam into an invisible wall because a long stretch of track didn’t load in time-- the road model was missing, and I slammed into the dirt road as if it was a wall. This caused me to lose about 40 seconds on my time while the engine tried to figure out what the hell just happened. That and all the issues TB talked about made this PC port completely irredeemable-- and no, patches didn’t make it better. I played it in 2017.

An entirely justified response to one absolutely TERRIBLE move for EA’s PR. While Javik turned out to be relatively minor as a character, his implications were still serious. He also impacts Liara greatly-- there’s a great arc in Mass Effect 3 with Liara’s reaction to finally meeting a real Prothean, after a lifetime of archeological studies trying to learn about this ancient race. Not only that, but TB wasn’t kidding about his boycott-- at the time that he made his WTF is… video for Mass Effect Andromeda, he still hadn’t played it. That’s some serious principle.

One he didn’t mention, I suppose because he conveniently forgot:

TB's surprisingly extensive coverage of Mass Effect: Andromeda (YT links)

Livestreams
Mass Effect Andromeda or, some claim, the bubonic plague. - YouTube
TB plays: Mass Effect Andromeda feat. Force - YouTube
TB Plays: Mass Effect Andromeda - YouTube
WTF is…
WTF Is... - Mass Effect: Andromeda (Single Player) ? - YouTube
WTF Is... - Mass Effect: Andromeda (Multiplayer) ? - YouTube

Standing basically on its own, TB ignored the CrowbCat videos and every meme on the internet to give the game a fair chance. He actually gave a very compelling overview of the game that more or less lines up with my own opinions: it looks beautiful and improves the combat in every way, but there are some HUGE caveats. This was perhaps the most lenient and forgiving review on the internet I’ve seen of the game, so…

Yeah, way to go, you worthless hack. I hope you enjoy the fact that your two seconds of fame came from shitting on a reviewer that accomplished a great deal even with his life cut short, rather than the shit you worked on. Unbelievable.

If anything, any questions I had about TB’s standing as a critic has only been reaffirmed as idiots come out of the woodwork to embarrass themselves. I’ve looked back a few times, and regardless of what he said, or how wrong I believed he was, there’s a very specific thing that TB has consistently done. Under the cynicism, the persona, and the informal attitude, TB has always had one key to his success: REASON. He’s always dropped his reasons behind his criticisms, and he’ll reveal exactly how he comes to his conclusions. He was exactly the kind of person you could have fun arguing with, and no matter what you thought about his political views or whatever nonsense post you might have gotten angry about, the world definitely isn’t the same without him. This is coming from someone who wasn’t even subscribed to him at the end-- I lost interest in his content after a while, and I certainly didn’t like some of the things he said online, but that doesn’t devalue anything about him as a person, or in any way change all the good he’s done.

Just a little post edit. I just remembered this video again, where TB tears into a lot of the port problems of The Darkness 2 as well as the responses that DE staff gave on the status of the PC port.

Digital Extremes handled this quite well, and by the way, Warframe has years’ worth of options menu updates from FoV to dynamic resolution. Don’t be a hack. Be like DE.

I’ll definitely miss that occasional video in my recommendations, the moment when a large cluster of angry whining occurred over an internet issue and TB just jumped right in to set the record straight to the best of his ability.

TL;DR: In hindsight, TB left behind a great legacy, also this:

Of course it was politically motivated… I have no words. THAT? THAT’S WHY YOU’RE UPSET?

6 Likes

Perhaps? Is not so much of a saying, is more like a reminder or suggestion that if you can’t come with something else than just an insult, it’d be better to not make the comment at all since you wouldn’t be adding anything to the conversation in any way, it says good, not nice after all.

6 Likes

live atm

11 Likes

This really took me back to when I was looking after my dad (he had a bone marrow transplant for myelodysplastic syndrome in 2016, we spent seven months living together across the road from the hospital).

My dad did extremely well but there were three other people we got to know well and they all passed. Most memorable was one fellow who was due to go home the next day and went to bed not felling too well and woke with a fever the next day, he went in to hospital and went down hill from there. His parents were the ones caring for him and his father came to update us on how he was doing and told us that the doctors expected him to pass in the night, he talked a little longer, despondent at the thought of burying his child and I mostly sat there silent, no idea what to begin to say. Once he left I rushed up to my dad, needing a hug and the both of us began crying, we stood for I don’t know how long just hugging while he tried to comfort me and remind me that this was always a possibility and I said that in no way prepares you for it actually happening. That man was about TB’s age with four young children, my dad still speaks to his parents and every now and again he pops into my head.

I told dad a little about TB and his situation, I do have 2 shirts and a hoodie from TB’s collection, I think I was wearing one when I first talked about him though I’m pretty sure my dad doesn’t believe that YouTuber is a job title. TB’s reach was far and wide, even extending to people who have never seen his stuff, I’m gonna miss you TB, thanks for everything.

8 Likes

I don’t know why I didn’t say anything about this… that was a great stream. For those who were unable to tune in, it was mostly focused around a memorial for TB with Jesse and Dodger, as well as Genna herself in TotalBiscuit’s normal place; the guest-seat on the stream was left as a small image commemorating TB. I was really surprised to see how well Genna was taking everything, and on a side note, I’m interested in seeing how she continues the TotalBiscuit/TotalHalibut channel from here on.

You never really know what you’re missing until it’s gone, unfortunately. I wasn’t really following TB at the time that his medical situation went completely downhill, and looking back, it’s hard not to respect the humility he had to the end. He didn’t play anything up for pity, or ever try to use his position as mere leverage, even for very justifiable and understandable reasons… he underplayed everything and very much kept acting on the platform that people subscribed for to begin with.

He set a very high bar for content creators in general, and much farther than a few assorted gaming channels on YouTube. I hope that other CC’s will be able to learn a great deal from the example he set forward, establishing a strong foundation on his precedent actions and learning from his mistakes.

9 Likes

I can’t wait to watch this on YouTube. I had just seen harith’s post right before I had to leave for work. I clicked on the video just to get a glimpse for a few seconds and Genna was smiling.

3 Likes

I’ll just leave this here in case anyone’s missed it:

For those who want more TB stories Dodger’s stream had some sweet/sad moments:
Twitch or Saturday Morning Dooger (May 26, 2018) - YouTube

8 Likes

Just saw this comment in Chrono’s code :’>

7 Likes