The World Through Your Eyes

We take our Seasons serious in Canada. We enjoy each and every one of them to their fullest.:yum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=summer%20begins

9 Likes

don’t where the seasons start change based on where you are on the globe? like that fake country australia pretends their winter is now I thought.

8 Likes

Correct, the northern and southern hemispheres have opposite seasons.

Also, the dates of seasons vary from place to place. Where I grew up, the seasons were tied to months, so summer is all of June, July, and August, and autumn starts on the first of September.

8 Likes

thats the one :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno what the point of me even mentioning it was

but at least someone might learn something xD

7 Likes

unsure what you mean, in that regard “specific” (june is june no matter where you are on earth, -whether it’s related to a “warm” month in that “summer” sense is another matter)
the funny nitpick here was that “june” is summer, in the sense that it’s a “yellow month” or however you were taught it with the gregorian calendar
where as “summer” in the sense of “heat”/weather is determined by you geolocation/earths orbit
-hence what they meant about being spring in that article/note, since it wasn’t summer solstice(i think it’s called/the “defining” moment) yet, and thus “not” summer, because earths rotation not reaching seasonal peak yet
one is fixed based on calendar, the other is a more astronomy thingy :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

yeah that’s why I edited my comment, I had a feeling you might think I was talking about you specifically, but I wasn’t, you catalysed my spouting of facts xD

6 Likes

A trip to the Dessau-Wörliz Gardens. I only had my cellphone with me sadly - hence quality

16 Likes

I’m cheating
these aren’t my eyes.

8 Likes

Here are some kimonos on display at a museum we visited today

I thought I would post these, since we have someone who is tied to culture, @GanbaRANGER. :smile:

There were made by Ichiku Kubota.

14 Likes

Wow, those are beautiful. I haven’t had kimono since I was a child.

I’d say I’m loosely tied to Japanese culture. Although I grew up in the culture, my father’s dead and I haven’t seen any of my Okinawan family since I was 18. The family I have in Okinawa and Japan don’t contact me or anything. I live in the United States.

I know @coralinecastell asked about this in the Badge Hunters Anonymous thread; I’ve just been really depressed and very busy, and I wasn’t sure I could handle going into somewhat painful life-story stuff at the time. I plan to get around to it.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Those truly are beautiful. I should peruse this thread sometime since I haven’t yet. It’s intimidating cuz it’s so big. Looks like it was your idea, and a really good one too.

12 Likes

This, of course, should be on your own terms. This being a public forum and all and is subject for the rest of the world to see. With that, a potential for negativity and the like. I was not trying to egg you on by any means, I only mentioned you knowing that you said previously that you are half (?) Japanese if memory serves correctly. I live in the US as well, not native to these lands myself. Please pardon me for any negatively invoked emotions. It’s really hard to type on my phone at length.

6 Likes

i hope the person the museum snagged those “off” from got some replacements clothes first :grimacing:
:smile:

and dayum! those bottom ones with the snowscape :astonished:

5 Likes

The work on display here is amazing, but I got to wonder why chose to work with kimono’s as your medium? I mean beautiful clothes are an art-form in and of themselves, but with these paintings spanning several pieces even though each one alone would be beautiful they’re clearly meant to be pieced together on a wall, not worn.

wait they are painted right? Not woven?

The folds and curvatures of the kimono does not appear to be utilised in the design. Either way I do not see how the kimono matters for the artwork, a tapestry or canvas would serve the same purpose, right?

Anyway, just a few thoughts, art’s supposed to make you think right?
Thanks for sharing this.

Edit: I REALLY love the snow scene in the last picture, so nice. Don’t suppose you have a picture of the whole set?

5 Likes

@Fraggles I think there’s just something special about clothing and other “practical” items being used as part of a work of art, especially when it’s part of a larger whole. I think it’s less about what the kimono contributes to the art, and more about elevating the kimono with the art. Some of it is tradition, too. Kimono have a long history of being used as canvases for painting and embroidery (originally to show the owner’s wealth and taste), and this is a continuation of that tradition taken to an extreme.

To get back on topic, I don’t usually photograph my immediate surroundings, but I went to Big Cypress in Florida a few months ago on a ref-gathering trip and that’s more interesting anyway.

12 Likes

@fraggles, the kimonos are all made out of silk, they are tie dyed, stitched into textures, and also painted in various parts. The photos I have really do not do them justice, there is so much individual stitching to create various relief when seen up close.

A few of his kimonos were used as costumes in plays, those were specifically designed as costumes, but you are right, a lot of these were not designed as actual clothing.

There is a museum dedicated to his works, with lots of his work available on display.

This link is a little about his history and about him, recreating what was once a lost art:
Who is Ichiku Kubota

This is a little about the technique, on this page, you can get a sense of some of the textured details of some of these kimonos:
What is Tsujigahana (technique for making these artistic kimonos)

You can browse through the rest of the site for some other information, though the site does not seem to be updated too often–Not that it needs to anyway.

Here is the creme de la creme of the collection, The Symphony of Light, a part of which that winter/snow scene comprises. This is a really nice recreation of the pieces put together the pieces that were created. It was designed to be 80 Kimonos displaying the Universe and Four Seasons, but he did not manage to finish them. He only finished about 29 (?) or so of them before he died.

5 Likes

Thank you, and wow that symphony of light series is amazing. Imagine it being a full unbroken tapestry, maybe inside a circular room so you could really immerse yourself into the scene without the gaps between kimonos. I get the cultural aspect of it and the art of making kimonos though.

I’m sure it must have a greater impact viewing them in person.

4 Likes

That would a pretty amazing experience. :slight_smile:

It really was, there was so much detail into every single one of them that it was difficult to move from one to another. I took a few quick photos to share with the community, knowing that the photos do not do them justice.

4 Likes

These are Dutch irises in my mother’s garden.

9 Likes

Dutch? But they’re not even orange!

5 Likes

We call then Dutch irises anyway. I wonder if they are from the Netherlands

1 Like