The OT Thread!! Post Here When You Feel The Need!

This is the real stuff

5 Likes

my taste buds like, my tummy don’t :disappointed:

also, do food prices in the US/stores where you live @GDBringer roll up and down with inflation that much and that “fast”/in direct response?

5 Likes

Prices have been climbing by a few cents every few weeks for the past year. Most noticeable for meats.

Then I saw month old news that said the US printed 20-35% of its USD in 2020. It may have been many years since my economics class. But that sounds like hyper-inflation is coming since you need more dollars to buy the same things.

puts on tinfoil hat
Then minimum wage will not be enough and normal workers will need to spend more. Food riots and theft will increase. Stores will hire private security. Violence. Pandemonium.
takes off tinfoil hat

But that won’t happen and I just don’t want to pay more if prices jump up.

6 Likes

Hmm, as far as my very limited understanding of large economic systems goes money is constantly losing it’s value in other words there is constant inflation. Like always.

Even though some stuff might get cheaper , other stuff goes up in price more , in the end of the day 1000$ now is more than 1000$ will be in two years. Unless something unexpected or dramatic happens or there is some outside tinkering.

So , food costing more in x or y amount times seems like inevitable thing to me.

In other others words what you mentioned about food prices possibly going up seems like part of normal course to me .

6 Likes

not sure how much it varies country-country/company, but from my own brief past experience working retail, “food” is generally handled a little differently than regular goods contra inflation, and as GDBringer mentioned their prices have been going up “steadily” over a brief period of time, which isn’t super normal.

Prices going up is always “normal”, how else would you increase revenue in a “fixed” demand production-consumption line.
But unless there is sudden or drastic/rapid market changes, ex China imports, “steady”/constant price increases aren’t that normal, and (at least here) are more usually done in “chunks” to offset fluctuations, so you don’t get a price increase one week and a decrease the next week but keep things somewhat “consistent” for customers (customers really hate changes @_@), and aren’t “bouncing” around constantly trying to respond to ex (regular) inflation.

So when/if the dollar is “tanking hard”, it could possibly be weighted as something like other “extraordinary” market changes “needed” to be reacted to.
(tho i’m not sure if the dollar could/would be considered to be tanking hard since it’s been bouncing around for the last 4 years :dizzy_face:)

5 Likes

I. Just. Can’t.

6 Likes

4 Likes

:cry:

4 Likes

The US IIRC targets approximately 2% inflation per year. The reason is because you want to keep inflation low, but without going into deflation.

Inflation is bad, deflation is worse. Deflation can be economy destroying. As prices start falling, people start waiting to see how low it will go. So why buy a [table] now at $300 when it’ll be $250 next week and so on. Companies lose money because of the invested cost. Yeah, inflation isn’t great, but it’s easier to compensate for than deflation.

That being said hyper inflation is a bad thing too. I don’t know if the US will actually experience hyper inflation. When I think hyper inflation, I think hundreds or thousands of percent of inflation. E.g. Venezuela (I think it was last decade?) , or Germany after WWI.

6 Likes

I saw this on youtube. Very sad. I didn’t even think West Nile Virus was still around since its not talked about anymore.

4 Likes

#Inflation is a mortal-made and a mortal-ended problem.

3 Likes

emoemu2

4 Likes

when you get the right prescription/brand, 120pills for 7€, vs 30 for 60€…
i know i’m a cheapass penny-pincher at times, but “wrong” priced/prescriptions isn’t exactly peanuts when it adds up week by week :triumph:

6 Likes

Cheapass? lol, you royalty or something?:smiley:
That’s just a bit less than I spend on food. Monthly.

That’s a 34 times difference in price between those brands. You sure there is no difference between the amounts of the active ingredient per pill? Like the more expensive one having 340mg of it per pill, and the cheaper one having just 10mg?
…meaning - for example - that to take one dose of the pricy one you need to take two pills, and to take a dose of the cheaper one you need to swallow 68? ;D

4 Likes

actually to make it “worse”, the cheaper one has 36mg, and the expensive one has 30mg :laughing:
also, getting them in 30 pill packs is for some strange reason cheaper than larger/“bulk” packs. 30 is barely 2€, while a 100pack is over 6x the price, despite only having 3.3 the quantity.
… now imagine a 100 pack of the “wrong brand”… :grimacing:

5 Likes

Brilliant:D

4 Likes

II’m not pharmacist and i m not trying to defend them here in any way ( 34 times more expensive is rodiculous ) but afaik drugs are more than just their active ingridient . Better quality medicine often has better ‘supporting’ chems if you will which helps body absorb and use the actual drug ,also relieves some potential side effects of it.

3 Likes

while that is true to some extent, it’s not exactly the reason most of the time and is purely a brand exploitative factor. (also not exactly unique to the pharmaceutical industry tho definitely very “obvious” there)
also it’s not the pharmacists fault for giving wrong brand, they aren’t allowed to substitute one dosage for another if doc made a “wrong” prescription, ex prescribing 30mg instead of 36mg or 27mg etc etc, nor are they allowed to even substitute “brand” if doc forgot to tick the right box - which was both the case last time

4 Likes

Jimmy Kimmel’s staff made a thing.

5 Likes

jajajjajjajja very fun ,trump nighmare is end for now

4 Likes