Stop COPPA and the FTC from ruining youtube

Link to the FTC:Regulations.gov

Here’s a good video that explains this:

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are writing to the FTC or making comments anywhere about the FTC, please make sure that your respectful, and be clear and concise. I shouldn’t have to say this, but there are individuals who don’t do this and it can be a critical mistake.

Please sign these petitions and write a comment to the FTC to stop COPPA from affecting youtube and it’s content creators. If you use youtube like I do on a constant basis, please sign this petition and other petitions to fight COPPA and the FTC. Feel free to make petitions yourselves and spread the word. If COPPA gets their way, it can destroy and remove tons of content creators which we all love to watch. Potentially even gaming channels which are by far one of the most important to me. If there are other petitions to sign for this, please let me know as well as others. Let’s do this!

8 Likes

OK,

1. please link to the actual ruling as well as linking to any additional sources of your liking. I know we live in a “all you need to know about X in 60 seconds” culture, but some of us are interested in the full source.

Rule Summary:
COPPA imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, and on operators of other websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information online from a child under 13 years of age.

1. I don’t believe in signing petitions online so I won’t. That’s my personal stance. All those who can and want to support what OP is linking to should write to the FTC directly, as you should with any other issue when you have access to legal representatives or a direct channel to voice your opinion about any sort of ruling in your city, state, country or others.

Here be cursing, kids

1. YouTube is, and I have absolutely no other, more child-friendly word for this, a clusterfuck and a legal mess. Their terms of service are unclear and full of double-standards, aggravated since Alphabet’s (then Google) acquisition in 2006. We have a saying in Brazil that goes “it’s like trying to cover the sun with the sieve.” As to say, you’re not being effective in stopping/preventing something. That’s what I think of trying to stop the enforcement of COPPA.

2. Being fined U$170 millions is, at best, a tickle in Alphabet’s 30.74 billion dollars of income in the last fiscal year. It’s literally less than 1% of their income in that period. Now they want to push creators to ban ads because they can’t cope with fines and content monitoring themselves. Worse, instead of rising up against Alphabet and telling them to up it up their gold-filled ass, we’re signing pointless petitions to “stop the FTC from ruining YouTube”?

3. Yes, YouTube is big and convenient, but it’s bound to break eventually because it’s an empire built on sand. Instead of rising the debate of “are there good YouTube alternatives?” “how can we port our viewers and videos from the platform?” we’re all bending over backwards to Alpabeth because it’s more convenient to keep up with their shit.

TL;DR

1. This whole thing is ridiculous and I’m done. COPPA will pass because YouTube execs need 2-dollar bills to wipe their mouths with since they can’t stop from pouring shit from them while pretending to care about the environment by tossing their pennies at a 20-million dollar initiative to plant trees and look good when the time for PR comes. And when it passes we won’t have an alternative ready or an escape route, because we wasted our time trying to find a reason to support a platform that has routinely and excessively abused our privacy and our rights in order to make a profit out of its content creators and users.

2. I’m furious. Change my bloody mind, I dare you all.

EDIT, oh yeah, I can’t wait for someone like SidAlpha (dunno if he makes videos about these things too, but boy do I like his channel) to make a video in this that explains this to those of us who don’t want to read through the whole rulling.

6 Likes

The next 25 posts are from another thread. I moved them because they make more sense here. Hopefully it won’t be too confusing!!!

3 Likes

“this seems like a good day to skip anxiety meds”

sees YT link

(remembers uploaded a video years ago to some random forgotten account)
:scream: :scream: :scream: x11
/regrets…

5 Likes

Damn… that’s insanely brutal. @YQMaoski check out this thing buddy, especially the last 5-10 minutes.

2 Likes

Ok, how the hell have I not heard a peep about this from anyone before now? This sounds like it’ll just straight up wipe out anyone who does videogame reviews or commentary of any kind. Either you mark it as “for kids” and don’t get monetized or you don’t and get sued for it?

Something this guy failed to discuss though, how will this impact non US content creators? COPPA applies to youtube itself sure, but I don’t think the FTC can go after people outside the US, right?

Maoski: Need an EU side channel “owner” ? : )

5 Likes

The worst part is that if you mark it “not for kids” and they decide it’s for kids and switch it manually… without knowing what actually is and without checking that you are swearing like crazy in the middle… you might get in trouble when they actually review it later on if it gets complains or something for strong language. Damn, that’s rough…

I haven’t heard anything about this as well 'till now.

I have the same options for my videos… everyone is falling under those regulations, not just USA people from what I understand.

3 Likes

Yes, but since this isn’t “just a new youtube BS rule” but actually outside enforcement happening, the FTC does not hold power over people outside the US. So while maybe youtube might force you into the “for kids” category, at the very least the FTC wont be able to fine you. They might still try but what can they do if you just refuse to pay?

4 Likes

yea that was my take from it too. That and the FTC guy just looks positively horny and giddy from the mention of suing creators.

no clue how it will apply outside the states, but i’m thinking since it’s the land of lawsuits they will probably still try… Or just “make” EU do the same under “Article 66-younglins only” or something, probably, i guess :man_shrugging:

my question is, what’s a bigger word than “adpocalypse” :thinking:, because this sounds worse, like it’s potentially gonna kill of a massive chunk of youtube/creation with all those broad terms and FTC definitions :no_mouth:

5 Likes

I am not sure what I should do…

I pretty much always use safe language, but I don’t think the content is really for kids because of the games involved, so I have marked my channel as not for kids.

Fortunately for us, we don’t have a big enough audience and don’t actually use YouTube to generate income.

I am contemplating going in and changing all of my YouTube icons to just a Black background and a plain text of the game’s title.

Maybe just use some plain font like Times New Roman or Arial instead of any kind of fun stuff…

Or I could just forget about YouTube and delete my entire content library…

EDIT:
Well, I just realized I can’t use that graphic… lol… wrong spelling…

6 Likes

What about discord or what is it called…Vemo???

This is insanity…

Here’s one guys future gone right down the drain…

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FTC-2019-0054-5687

TL;DR

" I talk about tough subjects, and sometimes even have to warn our viewers in case they are watching WITH their kids. I’m diligent and consistent that we are a channel ABOUT a family, and not a channel FOR families.

We also give tips and advice for many of the challenges that come with having a medically dependent child. (eg: How to properly clean and change a gastronomy tube (G-tube). We talk about how to build custom furniture to help with alleviating back and neck pain of lifting a large child, soon-to-be adult child. We show how we prepare blended feeds so our daughter can have the best of nutrition even though she can’t eat by mouth. We share how we divide medications to properly comply with her medical routine and not having access to pharmacy or hospital tools at home. These are only a few, minor examples.

I view Youtube as my job. It is an income source for our family that allows me to continue to provide the best care for our daughter even though I’m not able to work full-time outside the home because of her care. That income significantly helps with our household expenses and allows me to create the best content I can. I’ve invested in equipment, ongoing training and conferences to improve the content we provide to viewers. I worry we won’t be able to afford an attorney to defend our content, even though I KNOW we would win.

While I want to protect children, I feel threatened by a statement like, “shooting fish in a barrel”. The FTC commissioner has made it sound like they’re not ONLY going after the bad actors. It sounds more like, “We are here to destroy the platform.”

6 Likes

I think maybe I will go in and flush every single video with this kind of cover image:

I just checked my channel, I have 570 videos… If I can do it efficiently at one per minute, it would still take 10 hours or so…

7 Likes

I think that might not be the safe thing to do, if I understand it correctly if you claim to be “not for kids” the FCC will look at you anyway see that you’re talking about videogames and say you are non-compliant and sue you for it.

Since you do not generate revenue from your videos anyway and mostly just use youtube as a video host for serving your content embedded elsewhere you should probably mark yourself as “for kids” to be safe. Not sure if making your videos unlisted helps either.

Although there’s another thing this video also did not go into. What other regulations are there, are there content limitations on what can be in videos that ARE marked “for kids”?

Lets say you make a video about videogames that contains adult language and/or visuals I see the possibility of troubles either way.
If you mark it as “not for kids” as it IS but the clueless FTC regulators take a brief look, say it’s about videogames so they deem it for kids and sue you for failing to mark your video properly. Or you mark it as “for kids” and the FTC checks your video and upon seeing swearing/gore/sexual content/financial advice say this video is clearly not for kids and still sue you for failing to mark your video properly.

I suppose one must actually read the new laws and understand them to make that decision.

4 Likes

I think the idea that something is “for kids” is that it’s reasonable for children under 13 to view.

A lot of games feature plenty of violence, bad language, and other mature themes and content. I would be uncomfortable marking anything as “for kids” that might then be interpreted as not actually safe for children.

That’s the problem I guess…

3 Likes

Just about 30 pages of legalese BS to go through.

And youtube themselves are not particularly helpful either

Determining if your content is made for kids

Regardless of your location, we require you to tell us whether or not your videos are made for kids. We are making these changes according to an agreement with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and to help you comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and/or other applicable laws. Failure to set your content appropriately may result in consequences on YouTube or have legal consequences under COPPA and other laws.

We provide some guidance on what is considered “made for kids” below, but we cannot provide legal advice. If you are unsure whether your videos meet this standard, we suggest you seek legal counsel.

According to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:

Children are the primary audience based on the factors described below. 
Children are not the primary audience, but the video is still directed to children based on the factors below.

When deciding whether or not your channel or video is made for kids, you should consider various factors, including:

Subject matter of the video (e.g. educational content for preschoolers).
Whether children are your intended or actual audience for the video.
Whether the video includes child actors or models.
Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand.
Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems for children.
Any other information you may have to help determine your video’s audience, like empirical evidence of the video’s audience.

Note: YouTube Analytics (YTA) is not designed to help determine if your content is child directed. You should use the factors outlined by the FTC above to set your audience.

How old is a kid? The age of a “kid” in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13. However, the age of a kid may be higher in other countries, so consider the factors described above as appropriate given how kid is defined in applicable laws in your country, and consult legal counsel if you have additional questions.
What if my content is applicable to a wide audience, but not kids specifically?
As the creator, you know your content best. If you intended to reach a kid audience, it’s likely that your video is made for kids. If you’re not sure about your audience, take a look at the features of your video - does it have actors, characters, activities, games, songs, or stories that kids are particularly attracted to? If so, your video may be directed to kids. The key is to balance all the COPPA specified factors that apply to this analysis. For example, the fact that a kid is featured in a video does not necessarily mean that the video is made for kids. You will have to look at all other attributes of the video like the intended audience, whether the video uses language that is intended for kids to understand, and the subject matter of the video (a medical video versus a play video). For further information on whether content is kid-directed, see the FTC’s guidance. You should also consider consulting a lawyer if you aren’t sure whether your content should be designated as made for kids.
In addition, creators outside of the United States will need to take into consideration additional obligations they may have under applicable laws when evaluating whether content is made for kids. Note, while the age of a kid in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13, the age of a kid is defined differently in different countries so consider the factors described above as appropriate given how “kid” is defined in relevant laws, and consult legal counsel if you have additional questions.
Note: As a creator, you know your videos and your audience best, and it is your legal responsibility to comply with COPPA and/or other applicable laws and designate your content accurately. If you fail to categorize your content correctly, there may be consequences on YouTube. Additionally, there may be legal consequences under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) or other applicable local laws.

I don’t really have a “channel” I have a youtube account with a handful of Dirt Rally and Nepenthe videos. The latter I never linked publicly but are all colourful, features animation and videogames. I wonder if the FTC will try to sue me for those. Then I have a growing selection of Dirt Rally runs that also remains unlisted but I have linked them here at least. Still videogames and I don’t know if they will consider the audience as “animated characters” or not.

Neither of these were “made for kids” but from what I can tell your intent doesn’t seem to matter.

5 Likes

I might just stop making videos… it was a fun hobby that’s been good for a year and a half, I am okay shutting it down and switching to just playing and reviewing by words and pictures.

Another possible solution:

Record a running commentary line of obscenities and append it to every single video at the start, say 30 seconds or so?

4 Likes

I think they call that an intro. But seriously, the FTC says they have tools to “police”. Considering how shitty Google’s own algorithms are, how is a Government Tool going to work at correctly flagging them?

6 Likes

Didn’t the US government JUST stop using 8 inch floppies??? Naw, they will do fine /sarcasm

3 Likes

The US military based on the article I posted, yeah.

Submitted my comment.

I have to wonder if you tag every video as “18+” if they’ll still nab you since, on youtube at least, it states that it is intended for mature audiences.

3 Likes

Youtube does give users the ability to hide the channel, which I assume makes all of your videos private or unlisted maybe.

I might end up hiding my channel and depending on how things go, bring it back or delete it later. Again, it’s nice having a regular salary that this doesn’t matter in the long run.

What’s really mind blowing is thinking about a game like Yakuza 0, that I have been recently playing. The game contains a million and one mini games, some of them having plenty of simple potentially kid friendly mini game content, but the game itself is by far children friendly…

I was just giggling to myself thinking about renaming the game Japanese Mafia 0, and subsequently, Japanese Mafia Kiwami, etc… Otherwise those folks at the FTC who look might not get what yakuza meant and look at a video and comment about its kid-friendliness based on a mini game auto Youtube icon…

4 Likes