Steam Reviews

Couldn’t sleep, so wrote another review instead, this heat is so oppressive…

I just reviewed Slasher’s Keep:

Here’s my review:

Also yesterday, we posted a review for:

Review link:

6 Likes

I just played a rather lousy game: Fish Catcher, an unimaginative, boring, pointless game with a lot of flaws and no polish. It’s not fun to play and is not worth anyone’s time.

Here’s my review link (clearly a negative impression here):

Yoshi posted a review of Jolly Battle, a kid-friendly version of the board game Battleship:

7 Likes

I’ve been mulling this over for the past 12 hours…unless things have radically changed since I was a child, isn’t the game Battleship pretty kid friendly anyway???

5 Likes

I thought so too. Maybe the “adult” version is…“You sank my DUCKING* battleship!”

*Courtesy of @Duckli :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

That’s so funny. I added something to the community. xD

6 Likes

I confess. I actually stole it from @AcornAvenger. :revolving_hearts:

https://206.81.1.216/t/name-change/12271/14?u=delenn13

8 Likes

I have been neglecting my updating duties… (following all review links)

Yoshi’s review of:
Jewel Match Solitaire

DK’s review of:
Ball Grabbers

My reviews of:
Knights
and
Montero

5 Likes

And we have reviewed a new, pretty, but very short game: Radiant One on Steam
and here is our review: Steam Community :: yoshirules :: Review for Radiant One

5 Likes

For all the people who love puzzle games, you have to look at this one (it’s on sale atm) Hexa Turn on Steam and here is our review: Steam Community :: yoshirules :: Review for Hexa Turn

5 Likes

Man. I don’t know how you guys score free copies of stuff.

I’m set up on keymailer and stuff, but everything I do over there is ignored.

4 Likes

We get our games through our curator page, developers send game keys directly to us. Each developer is allowed to connect up to 100 curator groups to send keys through for each game. So they usually will look through curator groups and pick out ones that fit their bill in terms of audience or type of reviews.

5 Likes

We get our games through our curator page, developers send game keys directly to us. Each developer is allowed to connect up to 100 curator groups to send keys through for each game. So they usually will look through curator groups and pick out ones that fit their bill in terms of audience or type of reviews

I didn’t even realize we had a curator page. I’m in the group, and just looked over the curator page. Cool stuff in there. Whelp… I’ll be digging around in there during lunch time to see what I’ve missed. Noticed there’s some conversation threads in there.

4 Likes

On this beautiful day as I sit in the basement staring at concrete walls at work, I finally completed my Wayward Souls review, link provided here.

Steam store page:

5 Likes

If you like rogue games with turnbased battles you need to look at this one

here is our review for it Steam Community :: yoshirules :: Review for Legion's Crawl
I really like this game

4 Likes

I have thus been summoned.

Thanks, dear! Wishlisted!

Keep up the well-written and helpful reviews, guys! :+1:

5 Likes

Well I stole it from autocorrect so I guess we’re all theives xD

Only difference is that I’m South African so it runs in m blood :wink: *laughs nervously

6 Likes

Oh man.

I see a distinct need for rogue-like coverage :smiley:

I’ll do my best to review all of my rogue likes. I have quite a few. I don’t know how I accidentally ended up with a collection of these games.

5 Likes

Today, I reviewed a simple puzzler that is casual with no fail states and progressively increases in complexity. What really makes it stand out are the fun visuals and nice music.

Review Link:

Well, as long as you are having fun reviewing, then that’s good. If you just want to play and have fun, a quick thumbs up/thumbs down will still give your Steam friends a quick thought in their decision to pursue or to forego.

4 Likes

Of course I’m having fun reviewing.

Steam is like the YouTube of video games. In the mountains of trash there’s some very very well made worthwhile content being produced. If I find it, and don’t tell people about it, I’m part of the problem.

Good Indie Devs need all of our support. So giving them my hard earned cash, and complimenting a well made game that I had fun with is the least I can do to keep Indies going.

3 Likes

This is just a statistical note: only 17 of your 260 rated reviews are NOT RECOMMENDED (with the other 243 being :+1:). I find it hard to believe that only 6.5% of indie titles are not worth buying even if I’m a hardcore gaming addict with a very low bar for entertainment, but we all understand critiques are skewed. The problem is, the more skewed they are the more the audience has to adjust expectations to accommodate the reviewer’s bias.

I’m not going to dive into the exact reasons for the one-sided analyses because I know we all have limited time to play games much less review them. I just want to say it may be a disservice to the nearly 8000 followers to quietly ignore bad indie games instead of giving them a bad review (perhaps because you think saying nothing is “nicer”) - instead you skew perceptions which invites assumptions or accusations or we become jaded with a RECOMMEND from IndieGems because almost every game (93.5%) has been given that review.

These assumptions range from benign - like me making excuses for the overwhelmingly positive reviews by guessing the bad games are being “politely” swept under the rug - to more sinister accusations the devs are effectively bribing you with free copies of games for a positive critical reception. Again, zero insinuations but the more balanced and fair something appears, the more positive the reception and I want IndieGems to continue to grow.

Much love, and I really do appreciate all 260 reviews!

7 Likes