Steam Reviews

Oddly enough, I take writing reviews just as seriously as if I were writing something for a class. I treat them like arguments in an essay and I get a bit frustrated when my thoughts and feelings about a game can’t be properly expressed. Unless it’s a game that is very personal to me, I just give up and post a few sentences. :confused:

8 Likes

i understand this sentiment,
i try to keep in the back of my mind “this is a (steam) recommendation, not a review” so often i don’t even bother with most games (even some i quite like), only 11 reviews in total (and i think half were even actually only “bothered” to be made for steam’s various season tasks)
but then when it’s a game i’m totally hooked on/passionate about, i might end up not just doing a quick few lines, but end up rambling on 3 pages o.0
i think even tho it’s on the shorter side, even my Hollow Knight recommendation with 6 (silly) lines is a bit long, -and ofc it’s dwarfed by my 500+word Grim Dawn gushing… :dizzy_face:
^and it often don’t really feels like it came out “sober” like it’s what i wanted to say or serviceable enough to others, but just a bunch of random words from a madman for people to decipher

7 Likes

yup, 6 lines indeed… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://206.81.1.216/t/the-rando-talks-rant-glee-about-a-game-thread-gnuffi-currently-gushing-about-hollow-knight-smile/11557/4?u=yqmaoski

7 Likes

:rofl:
well that’s my chrono “recommendation”, but yup, example of ramblings in full effect :smile:
i somehow managed to keep my Steam one a bit more restrained :blush:

7 Likes

Another update, and we shall start with a 2D pixelated dungeon crawler roguelike that has some unique gameplay, where the rooms are player generated through your own actions. The game is super cheap, and the launch discount is 40%!!! Totally worth every penny, and not many pennies are needed to get you to play this game. I managed to buy it, play it, record a quick video, and write my review all in one go, just because I think it’s deserving of your attention! It’s a true indie gem for sure. (Don’t mind the many Chinese reviews and the lack of an English one. Well, mine’s the first in English anyway. Those reviews are mostly legit.)

Review link:

Iron Marines is next, it’s a simplified RTS made by the folks who made the Kingdom Rush series.

Review link:

Here’s an arcade style tennis game that would be good to play with multiple local players. It has some good features and could use some polish. No online-MP, which is a shame, because I could see this being so much fun. The single-player modes are sufficient for a mention still.

Review link:

Talking about arcade style games, this is a purely arcade type game, with strict time limits, easy game mechanics and many many deaths that are expected:

Review link:

Next is a light RPG, light strategy, + puzzle game with beautiful artwork:

Review link:

Lastly, I had a couple of bad days of trying new games last week, with the games that I tried being so awful that I am only going to mention them in a linked name to my review. Warning, I was not particularly kind with my words, but these games also didn’t really deserve much praise.

Narazumono – a game I would rate a 0-1/10

and

Spikes Are Dangerous – A game that is really quite difficult, but for the wrong reasons, in my opinion. The developer tried to argue with me why it’s worth the asking price. But for me, it’s not worth much of anything at all.

Thanks for reading! :smile:

7 Likes

I got sick of it just watching 1 minute of the “trailer”.

6 Likes

Finally, I did something extra, cuz of the steam summer sale incentive.

Review link:

4 Likes

Well written! The Pulitzer Gang grows stronger by the day. @DontBeSilly

5 Likes

I didn’t realize I hadn’t reviewed Absolute Drift yet.

Review:

7 Likes

My review for game Observer. Not a review i thought i will write starting the game ,but hey , things change.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly/recommended/514900/

6 Likes

Real pity - had thought it sounded like an interesting one too.

5 Likes

I wouldnt want to deter you from trying it if it looks interesting you. You might as well like it as i do not think it’s just plain bad.

6 Likes

@DontBeSilly It’s the psychedelic parts that would annoy me - it likely won’t trigger headaches or anything, but it’s something I don’t like. That and views that look like static for long patches of time.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize how long I had neglected this thread, I guess I have also not been writing as much, but let me put in what I have written on since (newest on top):

(This game is in very early alpha stage right now):

(This game is pretty good, though it could use a lot of improvements):

(Thanks for the gift of Mana Spark, @dusty!):

https://steamcommunity.com/id/YQMaoski/recommended/905490?snr=1_5_9__402

(A bit short, this one is, feels like episode 1 of several when I finished it):

(Game is a bit pricey, and is definitely a targeted audience title):

There are a bunch more, although these are the ones I put in the effort to write since the last update. The others are mostly Yoshi. I just haven’t made any recent updates, and so this list has gotten a bit out of control. I will just leave it be and try to be better about updates in the future.

@Enki, thanks for the advice, I have gone in and deleted all of the store page links, totally unnecessary. The OneBox now works with reviews, used to link in as a link, so I always put the store page in too. :smiley:

12 Likes

Probably don’t need to link the store page as well, since you can get there from the review page, less clutter :wink:

8 Likes

@YQMaoski Interested to see your Indivisible review.

6 Likes

It’s coming, the game is really interesting, and I suck at it. I am slowly working on a Let’s Play series, but maybe I will write my review before that’s done.

It has a really unique combat system, definitely designed for controller.

This is probably the epitome of easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master combat mechanic. Your squad is up to 4 characters, arranged like the buttons on a controller, and each button controls the actions of that one character corresponding to the button.

The artwork is really fantastic and a lot of times I am staring at just the hand-painted background or the character details. Definitely don’t do this while you are in combat, it’s a disaster. I have to constantly shift my eyes back to my own party away from all of the distractions in combat. When just running around the environment, the artwork is not just in layered display with good parallax while you are running around in a 2D plane, the objects in the background are made up of a ton of 3D models, and it looks really awesome.

Boss fights are fantastic and really fun, especially when you get used to the combat. For me, it’s about 2.5 hours getting used to combat mechanics and now it’s really smooth.

Anyway, so far the only negative thing I have to say about the game is that the combat heavily relies on your ability to see your characters during combat, and the local terrain is an important feature when engaging in enemies, but this can get in the way at times.

Example:

of course it was my own fault for pulling the enemies to this point but when I finally did engage them, I didn’t think I was going to be stuck trying to figure out combat from behind a big environmental 3D model. (You really need to know which one(s) of your characters the enemies are targeting with their attacks to do the combat properly.)

The platforming is not the cleanest, but it’s responsive enough to not be frustrating. There are just some places that are a bit difficult and rather annoying to navigate. But I consider it just an extra challenge, not a detriment.

The dialogue is quite funny and well written. The important plot development is all voice-acted, and done quite nicely too.

I am really enjoying it very much!

I know that it’s quite pricey, but the amount of work it must have taken to put this

10 Likes

But before that, I have just played this game, it’s effectively a free demo of a game not yet released, so it certainly is something that anyone can jump in to play:

It’s really quite fun, some balancing needed, as I played several runs and did not die once, which almost feels like an antithesis of a fundamental rogue-lite. But I am having fun, and if the game wants to make me feel OP, then why not?

7 Likes

Yup! My fav. Twitch Streamer had a similar issue. Fight started at the edge of a ledge. For the whole fight, Razmi and Ginseng keep just falling off the edge and he couldn’t use them at all. It was funny, but yeah, a definite bug.

4 Likes

@Danacscott, as requested. :smiley:

Unfortunately due to the Steam review length limit, I had to shave some stuff, but I think I kept most of the essence.

9 Likes