Steam new Remote Play Together Feature

I don’t like to use software features in beta typically, so I was going to wait until enough people try it and squash enough bugs… But if there’s a game you specifically are thinking of, I am not opposed to trying it before then.

5 Likes

So apparently NONE of Valve’s Games have this feature. lulz.

4 Likes

Not necessarily, but any of these will (supposedly) work:

Age of Wonders III
Brawlout
Castle Crashers
Divinity: Original Sin
Farm Together
Geometry Wars 3
Helldivers
It came from Space, and ate our brains
Kabounce
Lethal League
Magicka
Moon Hunters
Move or Die
Magic The Gathering
Nine Parchments
Overcooked 2
Redout
Renegade Ops
Rocket League
Rogue Stormers
Satellite Reign
Sins of a Solar Empire
Ticket to Ride
Wargroove

Tales of Vesperia
Audiosurf 2
Children of Morta
Trine
Enter the Gungeon
Cat Quest II
Rivals of Aether
Risk of Rain
Serious Sam
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Beseria - I would actually like to use this feature to play this game…later.

5 Likes

If you guys are going to play Magicka sometime count me in :slight_smile: I’ve tried for a bit solo but it wasnt much fun as this is obviously game for a group so yeah ,i would like to join as well.

5 Likes

Here’s an interesting article about Remote Play Together:

This part maybe very interesting to @coralinecastell, @Danacscott, @Pylinaer, @DontBeSilly, @Buzzyboii and others…

"The friends that you invite don’t need to have purchased the game as they will play on your copy of the game…When you activate Steam Remote Play on a PC and invite friends to join that game, game activity is captured on the PC the game is running on and sent to the other player’s computers…

Remote Play Together has been designed to play local multiplay games over the Internet with friends. That’s great if a game supports only local multiplayer but no Internet multiplayer, or of the two modes differ from one another.

The feature may also be used to play games on devices that a game does not support. Say, a Windows-only game, that is streamed to a Linux or Mac device, or a game that requires powerful hardware that can be played on less-powerful hardware. "

10 Likes

I have many of the games Py mentioned, but still a potato PC, so we’ll see.

4 Likes

SEE THIS! :eyes:

5 Likes

So tested it out a little and overall works pretty well. Id say quality is a tad better than Parsec but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 invites for the other person to finally join the game. Also a huge problem with this is the non-steam games not working, so Parsec still has the advantage there. They really need to allow non-steam games to work otherwise will only be using this feature half the time and will need Parsec for other games which is annoying. I would rather just use the steam remote play as it is easier to invite, seems to run better, and controls seem to function better than Parsec. Still need to test more games though and will add more info here as I come across any issues etc…

8 Likes

Awesome.

Definitely will need to try this out.

6 Likes

So can both players use their KBM, or do they need controllers?

4 Likes

honestly I do not know because we have never really tested that. It does work with someone using the KB/M and the others using controllers but we have never really tried to use multiple sets of KB/M.

5 Likes

Thanks. They way they worded it just makes it sound like that wouldn’t work. Let me know if you ever try it, though, I’ll do the same.

4 Likes

If people like this feature, I do have a copy of Helldivers, so I could host this if folks wanna try it.

3 Likes

@BlivetWidget

Me and @YQMaoski tried it out with Crypt of the Necrodancer.

The answer is NO. You cannot have multiple Keyboards. The game must support multiple sets of keys for inputs.

e.g. In Crypt of the Necrodancer, one player uses WASD whilst the other uses the arrow keys.

If I was using WASD and accidentally hit the left arrow key, it would interfere.

I think this is likely a Windows limitation TBH. if you have a second KB and mouse plugged in, they register as the same as the first one.

Also,

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 now show Remote Play together. Hooray!

8 Likes

Well, all these endorsements have caused me to download the beta. And I have to say, despite the initial ‘Strange & Different; KILL IT!’ reaction, I think this new layout will grow on me.

4 Likes

yeah pretty much what I thought. After a lot of time testing this feature now, it works pretty well while in game but the one annoying thing is the amount of attempts it takes to finally connect. Sometimes takes 6 tries to get it to finally connect.

3 Likes

Here is a game list. Not everything is on there. I only picked up games that I either knew were good, are/were popular, I remembered being featured on chrono, that a lot of people had, or I knew people were playing.

A Hat in Time
Action Henk @NME1
Age of Wonders III
Audiosurf 2
Bandits
Battle Chef Brigade
Battle for Wesnoth
Battleblock Theater
Beat Hazard
Blazblue
Brawlhalla
Brawlout
BROFORCE
Call of Duty WWII & BOps3 [apparently]
Carcassonne
Castle Crashers
Cat Quest II
Catherine Classic
Child of Light
Children of Morta
Cook, Serve, Delicious! & 2
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Cryptark
Cuphead
Death Road to Canada
Deathsmiles
Distance
Divinity: Original Sin & 2
Enter the Gungeon
Factorio
Farm Together
Forced: Slightly Better Edition
Full Metal Furies
Garfield Kart - Furious Racing @KingJamezJr
Geometry Wars 3
Goat Sim [apparently]
God’s Trigger
Grid: Autosport
Grip: Combat Racing
Guacamelee 2
Guacamelee
Guilty Gear
Hacktag
Half-life apparently
Helldivers
How to Survive
Hyper Light Drifter
JYDGE
Kabounce
Katamari Damacy REROLL
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Left 4 Dead 1&2
LEGO games
Lethal League & Blaze
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Magic the Gathering
Magicka 1 & 2
Meow Motors
Monaco
Monster Prom
Moon Hunters
MORTAL KOMBAT [dun dun dun dun dun dun DUNdun dun]
Mother Russia Bleeds
Move or Die
N++
Naruto
NBA [but WHY would you want to?]
Never Alone
Nidhogg 2
Nine Parchments
No Time to Explain
NotCoD
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
OlliOlli2
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Overcooked 1 & 2
Party Hard 1 & 2
Pikuniku
Pit People
Planetary Annihilation: Titans
Portal [Apparently]
Portal 2
Projec Zomboid
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Pyre
Rabi-Ribi
Rayman Legends & Origins
Redout
Ride 2
Riptide GP: Renegade
Risk of Rain
Rivals of Aether
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Rock of Ages 2
Rocket League
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Salt and Sanctuary
Satellite Reign
Screencheat
Secret of Mana
Serious Sam
Shellshock Live
Shovel Knight
Skullgirls
Sonic Mania
Spelunky
Streets of Rogue
Sundered: Eldritch Edition
Tabletop Simulator
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Zestiria
Tekken 7
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
The Escapists 2
The King of Fighters XIII & XIV
Ticket to Ride
Tooth and Tail
TowerFall Ascension
Trine 1,2,3,4
Ultimate Chicken Horse
UNO
Victor Vran
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Wargroove
Wizard of Legend
Worms
Wuppo
Yakuza 0
Yooka-Laylee

7 Likes

Nice work :+1:t3::+1:t3: @Pylinaer :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Can confirm this game plays nicely on remote play.

Also, I did some odd experiments with other games, and you can play any game with M/K multiplayer (as the controller layout is often not intuitive for games), it just sometimes sucks. Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Legends does work, the controls are just not optimal, even if both users have controllers.

Enter the gungeon is also a little picky about controls.

4 Likes

Wow, Factorio is on the list? What a surprise.

4 Likes