Recently Played Games

I was playing it last night and noticed there was a bit of an attack lag. I have the gamecube version so I was going to play that and see what the differences were.

Annd I forgot I need to have a memory card for my new old Wii to play the game.

7 Likes

So let’s see what i have been playing recently.

Hell Let Loose is still being played but last update really went hard on the performance so my excitement and interest in this game is slowly fading. It never ran very well to begin with but now i struggle to hit stable 60 fps which on my PC is a given. That said people with 30 series and 60 series cant get stable 60 as well so . Anyway , not much to say here, just Devs who clearly dont know how to work with the engine they use.

Control from HB Monthly stirred some emotions around the internet , including here. I didint mind the ‘scam’ with ultimate edition too much and got the game. What i can say? Pretty much what i expected . All style and almost no substance. I think i’m halfway through it but it gets more boring by a minute so it’s not a given that i will finish it at all.

Hollow Knight is a game i got some time ago in a trade with @Pylinaer and i finally ‘took it out of a box’ . It’s a nice game , though i will be blunt enough to say that it’s 'tad overrated . I do love world building , artstyle, writing but i’m not a biggest fan of 2D platforming and forced metroidvania so while i do regard this game highly i guess i’m not going to join any cults soon for it.

XCOM Chimera Squad is pretty neat. It’s like bite size XCOM 2 and i kind of dig it. It has a lot of technical issues and bugs but besides that i do find it pretty enjoyable to play. I dont see it having hours or lasting power of full xcom game but for what it is , i like it.

Trials of Fire has been brought to my attention by @Fraggles , indirectly though. I saw him getting a copy in Steam Feed. After a bit of 'persuasion ’ from Frags i bought it because it looked like my kind of thing. And it is , moslty. It’s a bit early to judge it , im like only 7 hours in , but besides two things i dont like which are cheap boss design and some aesthetic choices ( this one is really minor ) i had a lot of fun during the weekend with it. So yeah. It’s good.

Driving a lap or two in Dirt Rally 2.0 still .

That’s about it i guess.

10 Likes

been playing a little bit of Hitman 3 but still haven’t gotten past a few levels of Hitman 1 cuz i play it very rarely

put 32 h in Ghost Recon Wildlands, and rly loving that but then suddenly started playing No Man’s Sky cuz of their Expeditions dlc, which I enjoyed quite a lot, but eventually stopped playing cuz although the world doesn’t feel empty anymore, it does kinda bother me there’s so cities, villages, or something which resembles societies living and interacting besides some trading posts, ruins, etc. which are mostly copy-paste still. I like it enough that i could have kept going with it to complete the expedition but it’s too time consuming to do, I feel, with the limited time i have, so i quit and uninstalled

been exclusively playing Dirt Rally 2.0 these last days, which is still awesome

so i guess I’ll try and play more Ghost Recon and Hitman hopefully, along with DR 2.0, and i might jump back into Loop Hero too now and then, like when waiting around for work to hit the queue or so, possibly.

and I’d rly like to jump into XCOM Chimera but been holding off cuz no time to finish what im playing to begin with :sob:

7 Likes

So some of these are more recent than others but here is what I’ve played in the last couple of months.

Killer is Dead - This game really shows it’s age in terms of graphics. Janky movements and all. I just didn’t find it interesting or exciting to play. I think it also comes with an FPS cap at 30 or something. It’s been a little bit so I don’t remember.

The Adventure Pals - This game would be great for kids. Or people that like that level of engagement. The core gameplay loop is basically the same - go to X location, go through 4 levels to get a Ruby, rinse, repeat. I got bored tbh. But this might be something someone with a child could play with them.

Crying Suns - Crying Suns had an interesting take on the real time combat mechanics. At least until you’ve played it awhile and then the interesting wears off. I thought the story was fairly interesting. I just couldn’t push myself to continue playing into the second chapter.

Shower with your Dad Simulator - I mean… it’s simplistic. It works. it’s stupid. It’s not a bad game, just one that will raise eyebrows and really shouldn’t be played more than 1 hour at a time.

80’s Overdrive - at the beginning this game was boring. basically just cruising along dodging cars. Until approximately the 6th track after I bought the radar scanner… which either is pointless, or made cops show up. Either way the cops are incredibly irritating in that they ONLY go after YOU - always. And how they do that is basically two methods - driving ahead of you and brake checking you, or charging through your car causing you to smash over to the side of the road and stop for like 5 seconds. After restarting about 6 times on that one race I decided I was done with the game. Doesn’t matter if you nitro, the cops are always somehow faster than your car. I honestly enjoyed Slipstream much more than this game.

F1 Race Stars - Another silly game running with a similar idea of Mario Kart but different. There is no drifting here and the power ups are a little hard to understand at first as they are mostly just colored balls. Your kart also can take damage so there are occasionally pit stops you will have to drive through to fix your kart. Overall I would say it was decently enjoyable.

6 Likes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1571960/The_Corpsmen/

Not really ready for public consumption, just FYI if anyone is interested in it. There’s really barebones content and a lot of functions that are not working. It has a cool central idea, and the art is pretty, but the game itself, well, needs a lot of work.

5 Likes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/312670/Strange_Brigade/

been having lots of fun with this one, better than expected, mostly solo but also a little bit of story and then some horde mode with randoms; actually causes me to consider installing world war z and giving that a spin

6 Likes

damn, just wishlisted season pass off this yesterday or day before cuz would like the story dlc and there it goes 75% off on humble just now :grin:

edit: actually it’s 80%

4 Likes

Vintage Story.

Anyone got it? If so, I host my own server from my PC. If you ever wanna play, just lemme know. Game’s lonely…alone. lol

4 Likes

No, I do not. Is it a game on Steam?

3 Likes

No, it isn’t. It has it’s own client, though the devs tried to get it on Steam they refused it because it was too early access (that was a while ago). It may come to Steam a bit later. It’s a really intuitive, “hard core” survivalist “Minecraft” like game, but has its own story and so much more to offer (there’s in depth farming, husbandry, mining, forging, molding, hunting, cooking etc).

You can buy it from various places, but it all comes back to this site: https://www.vintagestory.at/

It really is quite an incredible game and it’s like $20 USD/15.00 EUR. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I played the King of Seas demo and was… largely unimpressed. It’s like windward, but with worse controls, more weather, more music, and you’re the pirate. I managed to run into an invisible wall that redirects you away in such a way that if you are being chased by an enemy, it could very well kill you.

The story was… blah. Not really exciting. The combat wasn’t really that engaging. Yeah sure you had skills and you had more control over your cannon volleys - in that you had to choose when to shoot - but it was basically just a bunch of circling until you could get a shot off.

All in all, I was fairly bored.

4 Likes

I’ve just finished my first playthrough of XCOM: Chimera Squad.

I really enjoyed it, it’s a nice change of tone from the world-ending scenarios from the other XCOMs, much lighter and less serious.
It still has good tactical fun in the battles, although it’s much more about timeline management. The strategic layer was fine, but honestly it didn’t actually ever impact my gameplay - it was too easy to manage. (I should note that I played it on Ironman Expert - as I certainly count myself as an XCOM verteran)

The early game was certainly tough, but in usual XCOM style, as the power-level on my team grew, I became nigh on unstoppable from about half-way through.

I really enjoyed the characters’ skills, they weren’t just the same ones from the previous games - it made the game feel fresh, and some the character synergies are fantastic and hilariously devastating.

I ran into a few visual bugs here and there, a delay before an attack animation played etc. but nothing more than that.

The one thing that did irk me was that it can be very important to know who has what equipment. Particularly when you are trying to move units and enemies in the timeline - there isn’t a way to look at your squad members’ loadouts while in the battle, so you just have to remember who you gave which items to during the prep screen. I solved that by having a list of who had what, on my second monitor.

All in all it was great - especially given its budget price point.

6 Likes

Mass Effect. Mass Effect and did I say Mass Effect? lol

The Legendary Edition is incredible. No bugs, no performance issues, better controls, better UI, graphical changes makes a world of different, new textures, new balances…just so good.

Before ME came out I was playing Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. I intend to go back to it when I’m through with ME. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

More Mass Effect again. I beat ME1 and 100% all of its achievements. Now for ME2! Well, okay, not right now. Gonna play some Vintage Story next time. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I actually haven’t played it yet, but I’m going to pick up and play the Lasting Light DooM mod. It’s basically a horror mod that removes all standard monsters and weapons, and gives the player a lantern to help them see, but, one has to be careful…

Addendum:
I’ve played it.
One thing that bugs me is…
“PLAYERNAME killed theirself.”
is what appears whenever the player is killed by either of the three monsters.

3 Likes

Final Fantasy XIV.

I finally beat the base game and am moving through the first expansion, Heavensward. This has been so much fun! I hope I can scrounge up enough money to keep covering it, at least until I beat the game. lol

4 Likes

Undertale.

PLAY IT.

If you have already, PLAY IT AGAIN. lolz

6 Likes

I’ve been playing Griftlands. It’s great, really nice deck builder - good story, well, actually 3 stories - which is unsual for a roguelite. Anyway, if you enjoy Slay the Spire, etc. This is a fantastic game. It’s also up to Klei’s usual standards of polish and awesomeness - I think I might be a Klei fanboy… Wow, the things you learn about yourself. :slight_smile:

I bought it on Epic for £5 using the coupon, (which is valid until the 17th of June if anyone is on the fence) But I’m playing it on Steam, because Klei have platform sharing! You just need to grant the game on the platform you didn’t buy it on and you are away!
Wait… Did I mention Klei are awesome?

That’s all, I’m off to go and grift…

5 Likes

Klei WAS awesome, they might stay awesome for a little while yet but they’ve been bought by Tencent so unfortunately their past excellence can’t be used to judge future titles. Just a PSA to not sideline critical thought due to brand loyalty, particularly not when the people at the helm of the brand has changed.

3 Likes

well, they still ARE awesome though, no? They are entitled to what they have earned as long as they don’t lose/waste it. We also shouldn’t declare them NO LONGER awesome just because they’ve been bought.

I too bought Griftlands ridiculously cheap on Epic with the intention of claiming it on Steam afterwards, and I’d agree that that’s pretty frikkin awesome as well. I don’t think any other game studio has allowed me to do so recently.

2 Likes