Quake 1, 2, 3 free @Bethesda

QakeCon begins August 7 12:00PM EST and it will last the whole weekend:
https://quakecon.bethesda.net/en
https://quakecon.bethesda.net/en/schedule/

It is rumored that during the event Bethesda will be giving away Quake and Quake II (if their charity fundraiser reaches $10k).
EDIT: + Quake III as their fundraiser has passed $20k mark.
Both Quake II and III should be delivered after the event.

This is based solely on rumors perpetuated for the past week on various different sites.
So far there has been nothing published by Bethesda that would even hint this will be the case.

The entire event is going to be hosted/streamed on Twitch, so the games might be delivered via Twitch Drops. If that turns true, you’ll likely need to have your Bethesda and Twitch accounts linked. Twitch systems will easily handle high load during the event, but Bethesda’s API backend might not, so I’d suggest doing it now.
I imagine they could also turn out to be simply claimable on Bethesda’s website.

Bethesda’s launcher doesn’t have any twitch integration capabilities (or even account management capabilities), so I wouldn’t expect it to play any role in this event. I would download it before the event - just in case.

I still have my original copy of Quake II in pristine condition. The most expensive game I’ve ever bought, the only one I’ve ever imported.
I’ll waste my time on this regardless.

EDIT: There is an announcement from Bethesda now:

• Get Quake for Free! – Throughout the weekend of QuakeCon, players can log in to the Bethesda Launcher and obtain a free digital copy of the original Quake. You must be logged into the Launcher with your Bethesda.net account credentials during QuakeCon weekend to receive the free game. If you’re already logged in, you may need to log out and log back in to see the game show as “owned.” (If you don’t see the game as “owned,” click “Check for Updates” under the Launcher menu.)

• Donate for Quake II – If donations reach the $10,000 mark, all players will have the opportunity to pick up a free digital copy of Quake II on the Bethesda launcher at a point to be announced soon after the event. You will be able to claim your free copy of Quake II the same way you claimed your copy of Quake.

EDIT: Bethesda announced they’ll be also giving out Quake III as their fundraiser has passed $20k mark:

YOU did it! We reached $20k in donations to charity thanks to you! Quake III will now be free in the http://Bethesda.net Launcher following #QuakeCon at Home.

18 Likes

Well, I just bought the whole collection this summer sale. Still glad that more people can enjoy the game for free now :smiley:

And I would try to get them if I’m available, as they seem to be offered within the launcher instead of Steam :yum:

6 Likes

Gonna be miiiiiiiiiiighty busy with Horizon Zero Dawn, but I’ll try. xD

7 Likes

There is an announcement from Bethesda now:

• Get Quake for Free! – Throughout the weekend of QuakeCon, players can log in to the Bethesda Launcher and obtain a free digital copy of the original Quake. You must be logged into the Launcher with your Bethesda.net account credentials during QuakeCon weekend to receive the free game. If you’re already logged in, you may need to log out and log back in to see the game show as “owned.” (If you don’t see the game as “owned,” click “Check for Updates” under the Launcher menu.)

• Donate for Quake II – If donations reach the $10,000 mark, all players will have the opportunity to pick up a free digital copy of Quake II on the Bethesda launcher at a point to be announced soon after the event. You will be able to claim your free copy of Quake II the same way you claimed your copy of Quake.

EDIT: they’ve already delivered Quake

11 Likes

It already started, let’s go!

7 Likes

Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game, i hope the PC port is good. I’m gonna play after the stream, or maybe when i get bored of watching the stream.

Edit: Oh great the part I actually care to watch is starting in a half hour. They have a schedule up if you want to tune in at specific points. Full QuakeCon at Home Stream Schedule

6 Likes

Thanks @SeekerSupreme :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

Got it. I set the launcher up in a virtual world…LOL…So I just need to reboot to uninstall it.

6 Likes

I got the launcher and found Quake. I see the button to install. So I guess I got it. Quake 2, not yet free yet. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I heard Quake 2 will be free when the event is over

7 Likes

If someone’s planning to play Quake, I’ve found something which may be helpful:

It’s mostly focused on online gameplay but like Risen3D it allows you to play the original Quake with modern graphics.

6 Likes

And Quake 3 Arena aswell, you can edit your title, i wont make a new topic

The stream is wholesome, Aeyvi and Ophelia have such beautiful and warm personalities, worth watching.

10 Likes

Great catch skunkz0r, thank you!

Bethesda announced they’ll be giving it out on top of QII as their fundraiser has passed $20k mark:

9 Likes

“bethesdanet launcher” … :thinking:

6 Likes

They don’t bother to include the soundtrack in any fashion. I know the music was in CD format both for Q1 and 2 but they could have at the very least included a .iso or other image file that you could mount as a music CD. Or the music as sound files to use with one of the many different fan made new engines for the games.

This feels like the lowest possible effort version they could make and the game really loses a lot of it’s flavour with the music missing.

8 Likes

Good to know that the main trilogy will be available for free in the next days, even though I’ll have to clutter my PC with another launcher. That’s the sixth by now, and it looks half-assed if you ask me.

But yeah, it’s a pity they didn’t include the soundtrack. Bethesda being Bethesda, I guess.
Thank goodness for KHInsider and its soundtracks. Otherwise you’d have to use a .pk3 unpacker to do it yourself or something.

6 Likes

How ‘bout a launcher to launch your launcher ,sir?

5 Likes

Did the Twitch connect thing easily enough - got redirected to browser to do the linking.

In launcher I see Quake, Quake Champions and Quake PTS.

From what I read, they should be giving Quake II and Quake III after the event as well, since the donations totaled 20k.

4 Likes

Anyone get the extra games yet???

4 Likes

Nope, not yet. Gotta wait and see.

5 Likes

The giveaway dates for Quake II and III have been posted here:

7 Likes