Playing: Mindjammer, An RPG About Chronies IN SPAAAAAAAACE!

lol, warhammer fantasy got nothing on Dark Heresy critical hit tables.

Or Call of Cthulhu insanity table.
Or pathfinder random background tables.

4 Likes

Well I’m an agent of chaos so that’s what you get!

4 Likes

Perhaps a better wording would be Curiosity Killed the Cat.
Maybe, at some point Serzalir hacked some organization with significant resources and is now wanted by them?

5 Likes

That sounds quite a bit better. @snake153 Care to make that organization tied to another member of the party? Build some connections between party members?

3 Likes

Tomorrow I’m going to work out what to do with the Extra’s Budget. I feel that more or less the skill point allowance is best pumped into raising existing skill levels.

4 Likes

I will be lurking about tomorrow but it is my big field planning day so I may be quite hard to reach.

EDIT: Okay I believe that I have addressed all the questions/concerns held by you the players… but it is late and I can’t read the whole topic again, so if you have a question buried somewhere in the thread and I haven’t addressed it please let me know…

3 Likes

I’m thinking either the organization hunting Ash or the military. After all, a militant human supremacist faction on a fringe world is bound to have something to hide. @xist, maybe the death of Serif and Ocee’ta led to some people looking for revenge?

Alternatively, since both Ash and 'Risk served in the military for a while, annoying the military might’ve had one or both of them hunting him for a while.

3 Likes

Character creation is incredibly hard…what with the Extras Budget, Equipment and the way that you can take on additional aspects and flaws, and drop fate points to give yourself even more bonus stuff this seems to get incredibly confusing incredibly quickly. I feel like the GM should pretty much decide what equipment we all get and then If anyone feels strongly we can petition for special case exceptions.

4 Likes

but satisfaction brought it back.

4 Likes

I think that is mainly because I am the only one looking at the book here… But I definitely can understand (I just built a character yesterday and I think it worked out ok)… Remember that you automatically get stuff to preform your skills, it is just that you spend the extras budget to get things that give you an added bonus (so items that let you do special things, weapons that do more damage than the base weapon, modifications or enhancements)…

3 Likes

So, I spent my extra allocated aspect on the mandatory Implant, my bonus stunts on the defence chip but the skill point options seemed woeful so I just added them onto my skill stats (maintaining the tree structure though). Seems a bit weird to do that. If I understand it correctly I can opt to add more aspects to my character and use those bonus aspects to allocate even more extra stuff…

3 Likes

@hivefleetbothan What do you spend the 6 skills you get for equipment on? Most of the entries on the technology page cost aspects / stunts.

Also, why do the pregenerated characters have 4 other aspects? Three of them come from the phase trio, so what’s the last one from?

3 Likes

Like you I was confused on the 1 aspect/2 stunts/6 skill point extra budget. Also like you I used the aspect for the mandatory implant, and both stunt points on a defence chip…but couldn’t see what to use the skill points for. I think you can take on additional penalties in the form of aspects or give up fate points to get extra bonus things…I just used my six points to bump my skills, although you have to maintain the tree layout if you do that. Ultimately I think we need to be guided by the GM…hopefully he’ll round out everything we submit so it’s all fair.

2 Likes

Good point… but it puts a lot of pressure on me to do things smartly. Deep Breath okay.

From my quick reading of the book @snake153 most of the stuff you buy skill points on are things that have skill points themselves: For example, you can buy a scanner (that has skills like investigate, notice science or knowledge) for 1 skill point +however many skill points the scanner possesses. You can also buy nano-bugs (which have the knowledge skill) for 1 skill point +however many skill points the nano-bugs have. You can also spend skill points to add skills to organizations or constructs purchased as extras.
Turns out that you can use your high concept as one of the mandatory aspects (if it is super related to your characters core concept… However, I am more than happy to give 1 more aspect to you the players if it is necessary for the sort of characters everyone wants to play.

2 Likes

Ok, so we can’t spend skill points on bumping up our skills? That’s the impression I got, from your post and from the quick start guide

If so, we’ll need a bigger list of things to spend the skill points on, or we’ll all just be carrying hand scanners that can scan for 5 things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No you can use skill points to bump skills (I thought the question was specifically on what equipment you spend skills on)…

My apologies, I will double check the book and see what it has to say about skill bumps (I know there is a max level of bump).
EDIT: so the book has this to say about investing into skills: actually it simply says you can’t have skills above +5, and you can’t have more skills above a rank than those below it… You can feel free to spend the 6 skill ranks however you want on skills as long as you don’t break those two rules.

2 Likes

Ok, so I’ve edited my character with the almost final info.

I’ve changed my Tech Index to 9 as is appropriate for Commonality Culture, I’m still not spending excessive stunts on the Monofil though (thought it was just a cool knife), so could you find me an energy melee weapon for one stunt please?

I’m looking forward to this. Yay!

2 Likes

I will find one…

actually unless you want a vibro-knife (which seems to be a chain knife equivalent) the only other melee weapons that cost 1 stunt are stun batons and paralysis wands. Otherwise you can buy an archaic melee weapon for one stunt… swords, broadswords and bludgeons all cost 1 stunt while spears, nets and blades are all free.

2 Likes

Not to continually make things more irksome that they need to be but -

First, look at your skills. You automatically have access to any equipment you need to use your skills. For example, if you have the Drive skill (page 86), you have access to a vehicle such as a ground car, hovercraft, or even a tracked vehicle or boat. It’s specifically there to enable you to use your Drive skill effectively; you may not “own” it as such — it may be something you use as part of your job.
Jot down a rough description of this vehicle.

Likewise, if you have the Ranged Combat skill, you have a ranged weapon. It has no special abilities, but allows you to use your Ranged Combat skill to make attacks. In game terms, this weapon has no bonuses or other abilities, and has a +0 rating in the weapons section on page 125. Go to that page now and have a look at the weapons you could select as default. Again, you may or may not own this weapon — but you have access to it. The same goes for some of your stunts. Yes, that does mean that if you take the Starship Pilot stunt, you have access to a starship. Again, it may not belong to you (in fact, it probably won’t), but it’s there, enabling you to make use of your stunt. You may not have complete control over what it does and where it goes, but it’s part of your story, and you should have plenty of say over its role — discuss it with your GM

It’s kind of why I think you (the GM) should pretty much decide on what equipment we have to start off with (in a general sense).

I’ve also seen that you can use Skill Points to gain/customise a spacecraft…

2 Likes

Just put a lot of points into industrial automation and programming and make me make one for you. No matter what you make me make it will come with a Honda badge though.

3 Likes