Looks fine, similar to my Nov/Dec 2017 build which was -

Summary

AMD RYZEN5 2600X Socket AM4 CPU Processor
Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition
TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
Toshiba P300 3TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD ‘Bulk’ (HDWD130UZSVA)
LiteOn IHAS324-17 24x DVDRW Retail Kit, Black
650W Antec EarthWatts Gold EA650G Pro, Hybrid Modular, 80PLUS Gold
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition Atx/Micro-Atx/Mini-Itx Case for PC
Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 Cooling Fan - Black

I wish I’d got a Blu-ray drive rather than DVD but otherwise it’s good. My mobo has onboard wifi and good cooling so that’s a possible recommendation for you too. So as far as your build goes you need to factor in the cost of the OS and also I’d recommend careful thought about your case and cooling. I read A LOT about cooling and settled on the 2 fans in my case and bought a fan for the side panel, plus the tower CPU cooler rather than the AMD solutions…didn’t want an AIO because I’m lazy and air coolers will last longer without my interference, plus I don’t plan on OC’ing.

These days though have you given any thought to just buying prebuilt? YQMaoski got a stellar deal earlier in the year…

2 Likes

i made a spreed sheet with some comment’s overall it looks fine, it just depend on what’s your vision/ intended use of the pc

2 Likes

If all you expect is 30-60 fps then this machine you desire will be out of the ball park on that. I would suggest invest in good PSU and save of the GFX by going the 1060/1070 or RX 570/580 8gb route and spend the money on a decent refresh rate monitor instead.

My system is old. FX8320, 16gb gskill ram at 1333mhz and rx 570 nitro +8gb (purchased cos old r9 280x died) but I have a 240Hz monitor with freesync. Works wonders. Play all games on high/ultra and never dip below 90 on the most intensive games I have (NMS excluded cos that’s like 30 fps on planets). I’m running Satisfactory at 100fps on ultra but only shadows on low.

4 Likes

hey there, another person still rocking an FX system :slight_smile: I have almost the same system, FX8350, 16 GB Gskill trident X 2400(currently only running 1866 though), RX 580 8GB. Would love to upgrade to Ryzen but as I have 3 systems to upgrade, I have to do them slowly as it gets too expensive lol. I can confirm all games on high/ultra run perfectly at 1080p. Btw how are you enjoying Satisfactory? Waiting a bit to buy it as it is still pretty early in development.

I’d say the system the OP has there would be pretty good for 1440p or 1080p for a long time. That PSU is very good and a very good brand, although I personally would bump it up to 650w for better efficiency. I would also get a better HDD if the OP intends to install games on it, not going to be happy with that 5400RPM model.

3 Likes

I recently built my brother a Ryzen build, using the 2600x model though. 500w was not enough even for a 1060 6gb card (way weaker card), 2 HDDs and 1 SSD. The reason he should push for higher is because of overall power consumption and stability, as well as any future upgrades and potential overclocks he may wish to peruse (and I’m pretty sure he will). Also, I would highly suggest moving from stock cooler because the thing he’s going to be using (wraith) is terrible, so the new cooler is going to push up consumption as well.

The last thing he is going to want to experience is to boot up his PC, turn on a game and an hour in when his card is ramping up for his PSU to shut down because it can’t deliver enough to the motherboard, CPU, and other components or isn’t high enough grade to deliver.

Just my experience as a PC builder. The one thing you never—ever—want to cheap out on or go low on in your PC build is your PSU.

2 Likes

What kind of PSU was it? 500w is more than enough for that system. Also the 2060 is not that much different than a 1060 6 GB as far as power consumption, roughly 20w at most. That system at max should not be hitting over 300W, and with a 2060 barely over 300W. However I do still recommend a 650W to keep at the 50% load efficiency. Also the new wraith coolers are pretty good, yeah aftermarket ones are better, but they work fine and of course have the benefit of active cooling for your VRMs.

2 Likes

EVGA 550w (barely in the safe zone), but I’ve been building PCs for a very long time so I know what is and isn’t enough and what brands to use. I was tight with money at the time so made do as it was on a crazy good sale (got him an upgrade a bit after for a 650w EVGA). The Ryzen CPU (like all other AMD CPUs) eat power like crazy, and I noticed that the lottery sorta makes it worse.

2 Likes

Ah ok cool, well even if we don’t fully agree on the specifics, we both do agree OP should get a higher watt PSU :slight_smile: Oh and yeah love those EVGA midnight madness sales on their PSUs, almost always have some good options.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I’ll probably be getting fans.

2 Likes

I went with wifi because I’m nowhere near the router. I also want to, when I get the money for it, bring it with me to college.

1 Like

There should be ethernet cables available even at college, if not in loose form, as outlets in the wall (like the sort you see in hospitals). Either way of course, I understand the need now.

2 Likes

I’ve greatly considered a pre-built but I’d like to experience building a PC. I have a bunch of friends who recommended building one.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the great feedback. I wasn’t expecting so much!

4 Likes

Hope your PC comes out great my dude.

2 Likes

@THEFIREGAMER123

I think you’ll have a real blast building it yourself, plus, you save a ton of money generally on the same hardware or better. Prebuilts are known for putting an expensive tag on weak components and loading the stuff down with bloatware you can’t uninstall.

If or when you get the build together, I personally would love to see some shots of it! Also, you’re gonna have one solid beast there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll definitely take some pics. I hope to get a summer job so I can possibly get it before
College starts up.

3 Likes

This looks really similar to my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RumbleFrog/saved/yt3KBm

Depending on when you are planning to start purchasing the parts, I would hold off on the CPU and Motherboard perhaps and wait for Ryzen 3rd gen, pricing will be similar but better performance. I also plan to upgrade to Ryzen 3 when it comes out.

Would also invest in a 3rd party cooler for the CPU

You can also get a refurb rtx 2070 for around $480 or so, just a little bit more (~$20), but honestly 10 series GPU would do just fine for modern titles.

LMK if you need any benchmarks, I practically run the same system, but with a RTX 2070

2 Likes

OP has Canada Pricing. New 2070s are 700-800 CDN/CAD there

2 Likes

In IKEA right now. This is a legit concern. The picture has 2 19" screens. I think the max you will get is two 24" screens. The two “wings” on the shelf area appear to come off.

3 Likes