Name the Game

I have not played all the games in existence and while we all have somewhat different tastes and opportunities the combined library of games that chrono users are aware of is finite. This game stops being fun if we’re aiming at digging up obscure BS no ones ever heard of, the game requires that at least some of us are familiar enough with the title described that we can recognize the description. So that limits us to a fairly small and now mostly exhausted selection of games that reached some level of greater popularity.

The game also stagnated a bit due to limited participation, when it after a while was only Pete, Harith, YQMaoski, Gnuffi and me playing it. So come on any and all, the more people participate the larger the possible pool of games becomes.

I’m not saying stop playing this, if you DO have some game in mind you want to describe then by all means do so. I like this game, but I got all 3 in the post above in a couple of minutes and didn’t want to ruin it for everyone else. So by all means go ahead, guess the 3 games!

3 Likes

me too. :slight_smile: It’s fun to see what bizarre games we have come across in our days.

At the same time, I am usually quiet if I can’t think of anything, because there are too many games I have never seen, similarly true for all of us.

It’s easy to go digging for obscure titles, but then again the game is less exciting, because we are not reliant so much on our own play history and memories as much.

3 Likes

GRIM FANDANGO!

Also a challenge:

A sacrifice, you must prove your worth to your new masters. The challenges you face each time you step into the spotlight are threefold, and each time you surpass one you grow stronger. choose your weapon, listen to your spirit guide and maybe, just maybe, live long enough to become someone others will look up to.

6 Likes

I would‘ve never guessed Grim Fandango, although I‘ve played and loved it. You guys are good with words and I‘m not. :smiley:

3 Likes

I actually don’t know if it is grim fandango, but the first time someone says ‘loveable skeleton’ I always go right to it.

2 Likes

The phrase I was originally going to use was “walking stick salesman” for #2. It’s also edited slightly because I made it a lot more obvious in the original post. Fraggles PM’d all of them in one go :wink:

Also, yes, #2 was Grim Fandango. Fraggles’ PM aside, 1 and 3 haven’t been solved (though apparently 1 was a repeat game).

@hivefleetbothan I’ve got nothing even remotely close to figuring that one out, besides maybe Warframe or Dark Souls.

1 Like

both

and

reminded me of Darksiders, I do like the game but I don’t think I should be trying to fit it into so many descriptions

3 Likes

You’re right about mine; like I said, I accidentally copied @Enki without even knowing. Darksiders it is.

Not too sure about @hivefleetbothan. “Choose your weapon?” That’s not darksiders-y. Neither War nor Death are trying to “make a name for themselves” or survive.

2 Likes

Good guess(es?) all, but it is not Darksiders, warframe or Dark Souls.

3 sounds like something I should know but I doubt it.

4 Likes

How about Let it Die?

As another hint for mine (#3), I’ve talked about the game before with glowing praise.

1 Like

I guess Let it Die would probably fit that description, but unfortunately it is not the game I was thinking of (not sure if the challenges part fits Let It Die or not).

2 Likes

Nice @hivefleetbothan.
The game is in the description.
Sacrifice.

2 Likes

Hmm… I will have to look that game up later, but I almost wish I had done something that cool. People keep finding games that make me sound more clever than I am.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought of sacrifice as well, honestly mostly because you used the word. But almost nothing else in your description confirms it. I don’t know if you mean the challenges being threefold as in there’s 3 challenges or if each challenge has 3 aspects to them. “each time you surpass one you grow stronger” kind of applies to every game.

The spirit guide had me consider Never Alone for a moment but I didn’t feel like the rest of your description fit, and the fox is actually just a fox I think so not a spirit. Seasons after Fall seemed like it might fit, but you’re fighting 4 primary bosses there, don’t use any weapons and no… that can’t be it either. Still on the spirit train of thought Ori and the blind forest and still nothing else seems to fit. Even if the PC could to some extent be considered a sacrifice in each of those games in neither are you really fighting for any new masters.

I don’t think I’ve played this game you’re describing, feel free to add another clue if you want.

I’ll grab @Cptmolds #3 now though, you’ve all had enough time to ponder it.
It’s Red Faction: Guerilla with a guest reference to Earth Defense Force, though I don’t think the EDF in those games are canonically the same.

3 Likes

Well, you’re wrong about the lack of connections, I’m sure of it. They’re the Earth Defense Force, they wear armor, they have mechs, and the moment they disappear, the planet has a serious giant insect problem. Coincidence? I think NOT!

…but you are right about #3 otherwise, and caught both references… even if ya hurt me a bit by trying to sever the connection between the two series.

3 Likes

Okay I wasn’t wrong thinking it was EDF… good

So I suppose another hint may help, or make everything worse.

You have fallen a long way, from your small village and now you are alone (or with up to 3 others). A sacrifice, you must prove your worth to your new master. Though once you do so, events conspire against you and a fight breaks out. After killing your master, you enter into the service of a new master. But in order to hide the secret your master’s death, you must kill each new master.
The challenges you face each time you step into the spotlight are threefold, and each time you surpass one you grow stronger. Choose your weapon (be it bow, shield, daggers or hammer), listen to your spirit guide(s), hoard an ever growing stack of gems and maybe, just maybe, live long enough to become someone others will look up to.

4 Likes

Still got no clue, but it rules out GORN now.

• 4 player co-op
  • Starts at a village
  • Involves killing your master
  • Progression of story through further leader-icide
  • Challenge tower of some kind?
  • Spirit Guide
  • Currency
  • Maintaining a reputation of some kind
  • Possibly a roguelite

Anyone got any ideas?

3 Likes

Well it’s not FF: Crystal Chronicles…

4 Likes

I gotta use less obscure games apparently.

I am making edits because I refuse to be the reason this thread dies (again):

You never wanted any of this, but it was not your choice. You fell a long way, from your small village and now you are alone (or with up to 3 others). As a sacrifice, like many others from your village, you must prove your worth to your new master, prove your battlefield prowess to entertain the masses. Though once you do so, events conspire against you and a fight breaks out. After killing your master, you enter into the service of a new master. But in order to hide the secret your master’s death, you must kill each new master.
The challenges you face each time you step into the spotlight are threefold, and each time you surpass one you grow stronger. Choose your weapon (be it bow, shield, daggers or hammer), listen to your spirit guide(s), hoard an ever growing stack of gems and maybe, just maybe, live long enough to become someone others will look up to.

3 Likes

Well that kind of sounds like the setup to the gladiator movie. I was getting a whiff of gladiatorial combat a little earlier as well but having played nearly no such games I had little to go on and most of them tends to have a management sort of setup to them too.

But that line of thinking and the 4 player co-op mention I’m arriving at a decent guess here: Forced (not showdown)

3 Likes