My Steam account was stolen.

@Danacscott your steam account was stolen right? your account sent me a message

then i did this thing

then this happened

What are you doing about this? What should I do? Also, hi. :worried:

and if you have the same password for other accounts, i suggest changing them

21 Likes

Maybe PM @Danacscott about this one rather than make a forum topic?

8 Likes

thought other people should know

12 Likes

A friend of mine has this happened to him this weekend. It installed a keylogger too. He really didnā€™t go into detail as how to fix itā€¦but this is what i would.

Contact Steam support. and tell them what happenedā€¦refer to this thread too.

Did it happen to your phone or PC?..I would use your backup or format because 10 to 1 you got a keylogger too.

11 Likes

Holy crapā€¦I didnā€™t know that signing in to a site via steam let them remove 2 factor/steam mobile authenticator! That Steam Login credentials not being shared always reassured me but it would seem not to be true.

13 Likes

thank you. restarting into linux

10 Likes

Sorry I misread it. On top of what @delenn13 disconnect your steam account from that website, also change passwords (on your email as well if it is the same as the steam one). If you really canā€™t format the computer at least run a virus scan or two. If it looks fishy never click a link, even from a friend.

12 Likes

Oh, research tells me it is in fact ok to use third party sign insā€¦it seems @delenn13 is probably on the money with the keylogger thing, which is what went wrong. That and clicking on that link in your steam chat.

8 Likes

Actually probably not even a keyloggerā€¦thatā€™s a faked sign in site. Direct detail harvest.

8 Likes

it does look fishy. iā€™m very sleepy and not thinking straight. i didnā€™t really think about it at all. fake sign in site was my first thought after it happened.

10 Likes

I am getting ready for church but I will keep an eye out on this thread. I sure hope you kept all those emails from steam in regards to your game activations.

7 Likes

i actually did keep all those emails. iā€™m going to sleep now. i hope you have a wonderful time at church.

also, hi everyone.

9 Likes

I had something similar happen to me almost 2 weeks ago. A friend of mine who i played Rocket League sent me a message to help him with a Rocket League tournament as his friend has too much ping.
I agreed to help because i didnā€™t think much of it as it was late, then he sent an ESL link to sign up, (which i shouldnā€™t have done) and lost my account and rocket league items.

But gladly steam support got my account back really quick after contacting them with proof that i own it, and got my Rocket League items back too by contacting Psyonix later on.

So yeah, moral of the story, from now on iā€™m double checking links even from friends that i know.

7 Likes

i know this is a bit late and useless ā€œnowā€, and maybe cynical hindsight
but never click on links in steam chat unless itā€™s a person you trust (and still be weary even then maybe) -steam has pointed out numerous times, donā€™t follow links in chat etc 'cos phishing scams etc
and donā€™t sign in to unknown sites,
+these "have rewards for you"sites/messages is exactly how most scams function (nigerian prince anyone?)
if you canā€™t verify something, just donā€™t bother even if it sounds alluring

and sry you got to go through this, and i hope steam support can get this sorted asap :+1:, and best of New Years to you after this :hugs:

8 Likes

good observation, well faked tho

7 Likes

Just for the record I got an PM too and an invite to follow this group from @Danacscott ā€¦EZSKINS EZLIFE. I didnā€™t!

5 Likes

im pretty sure that ezskins are the same people who bot their scams on csgo workshop

6 Likes

iā€™d maybe even suggest reporting the group on steam, promoting credentials snagging scam like this :thinking:

8 Likes

OK from what i can seeā€¦and I need to goā€¦so this will be quickā€¦

@AcornAvenger, @Rilover, @acb234, @nebula7, @DanosaurJr, @TR3NT and @YQMaoski DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING from @Danacscott. Itā€™s a hijacker and key loggerā€¦

Lter allā€¦be safe!!!

14 Likes

ah thanks I was wondering why I got sent that message.

5 Likes