learn a new language Humble Bundle

if anyone decide to get the bundle, and is not interested in the Japanese stuff, hit me up i could be interested in trading a couple games for it…

11 Likes

I’ve considered trying this out myself, also figured it might be a neat bundle to split but everyone I know as well as myself would be going for the Japanese class here.

4 Likes

Got that right, I’m thinking of the $1 one for that reason. The other tiers are pretty up there. Think anyone here would get them?

3 Likes

Friend got T1 and gave me a key for Spanish!

Always good to practice my donde esta la biblioteca?

I’m not sure the higher tiers are worth it as you’d need either to be one hella productive learner to eat through all that in a year OR you’d need to be one social nugget with many friends.

All that said, I’m not sure who this bundle is aimed at…

@Fraggles

images%20(3)

6 Likes

Wow, ok… cheers for that one.
So yeah I might be a bit of a lazy loner, maybe I should read a self help book first and that’ll fix everything!

4 Likes

Remember the song, and you should be good to go.

(Just a little something for those of us to poor to buy the bundle).

4 Likes

I wish there would just be all of the languages in T1… for 3 months

Such a tease…

3 Likes

Now now, lol. I’m a loner too - even online. I make a point of being social as possible over the net, as it’s really hard for me otherwise.

No habla Espanol, since school that is. Something you always wanted to do? Japanese is my pet language. Love the “squiggly lines” and smoothly it flows.

3 Likes

I speak Spanish, actually! I just never got around to applying for an official life-long certification.

I really want to, and for that kinda thing you need to be more technical and pratice some.

I don’t have anyone to practice my Spanish with so I’ve mainly been reading García Márquez…

Japanese is so cool! Do you speak/write some? Are you going to purchase the 3-month course?

I have a friend who speaks very good self-taught Korean. Who would have thought BTS would promove such rich education among teenagers? :joy:

4 Likes

I know you weren’t talking to me, but the 3 month courses are only in the French, Spanish, and German languages… :frowning:

2 Likes

No a problem, since I always enjoy talking to you. Thanks for replying and clarifying. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve studied Spanish in high school, Thai at a tech school, Japanese at a language school in Tokyo, and Korean at a language school in Seoul. I have some advice for anyone considering this:

If you are serious about learning a language, your best option is to study in that country if you are financially able to do so. Immersion in the native environment is your best teacher. Don’t be scared, my study abroad experiences have been the best experiences in my life.

I know that studying abroad is not viable for most people. Your second best option is to enroll in a language course that’s taught in-person by a native speaker in an actual classroom. If your desired language is offered near you, you should be enrolling in it. Online courses can’t compare with in-person lessons (except in price).

If neither of the above are options for you, or if you’re not that serious about it, try duolingo.com first. Duolingo is 100% free to use so you can try out your intended language and find out how serious you are. I recommend using the in-browser website rather than the mobile apps. The website provides grammar explanations and allows you to directly type in your answers (if you have that language input installed on your system). I would consider their app 99% useless because there’s no explanations and you choose your answer from a wordbank which only improves your recognition rather than recollection.

If you find that you can commit to an online course and Duolingo isn’t good enough, only then would i recommend paying for a non-free online course.

7 Likes

While those are all good advice and all, the whole point of this bundle is that it’s very cheap (comparatively) and very time limited. Suppose I could start a duolingo course for a week to test my mettle there before buying the bundle.

But the time limit to grab this offer is very much a point of consideration too.

3 Likes

Well, if you start today, you have 12 days to decide. At the very least you’ll be able to make a better decision about whether or not to buy it. If you do miss out, Japanese especially has a lot of free resources available online so i wouldn’t worry too much.

PS: If there are any other Duolingo users out there, feel free to add me: Duolingo

7 Likes

… I’ll do it tomorrow. : )

2 Likes

That’s a bad habit. Learning a language REQUIRES consistency and dedication. That’s why most online learners quit.

4 Likes

3 Likes

You may have been joking but that’s actually the attitude most people have, so i couldn’t tell :smiley:

2 Likes

Considering this bundle myself, as I’ve started learning Japanese several times but something always gets in the way when I do (moving, kids, etc). My wife wants to get back into studying Spanish as well, and my sister is learning German, so I’d make use of several of the keys. Has anyone actually used the service yet? My wife has tried Rosetta Stone and hated it, but I found it okay.

2 Likes

Me too. As someone said above - time and dedication. Always found it easier when I’m learning with people, but the time zones for Japanese people got to me back in the day. Waking up at 3 am my time to chat with friends. O_O

Still, I’m more than willing to give it another go. Pity the first tier won’t give a Japanese course… T_T

3 Likes